On Judd Anderson

View as article
The same reason why QB value is lower in College compared to NFL is the same reason why RB value is higher in College compared to the NFL: Its a different game. Tons of QBs who aren't as good play well because passing windows are wide as **** and accuracy is not that much of an issue. Thats why the value of the position is overrated in College.

I've fallen for this mistake myself, so...
euro-trip-mad-maynard.gif

Advertisement
We ain’t having a 35 page conversation about “what the data really says” on QB quality if there was any reason to be confident about this take — as the only QB in the class. Nobody had to defend Emory Williams (who looked a lot better as a 3* than this cat) when the class also had Rashada.

If your QB classes over 3 years are Jacurri Brown, Emory Williams, and Judd Anderson, you would not seem to be serious about winning football in the modern era, no matter how good your DL recruiting is. Especially with one freaking class. Plus, if “winning in the trenches” is essentially all that matters, why didn’t he go nuts on DL last year too? Once again, the current state of the program is cast as “all according to plan”, even if it’s unrecognizable from the previous plan.

We are not UGA, nor are we close to UGA. They’ve also recruited QB at an elite level, they just happened to have a walk on who broke every mould known to man when he was surrounded by the best talent in the country. UGA is evidence of nothing.

It’s amazing to me that Mario still has defenders on this. His offensive recruiting is abysmal outside of OL and RB, he seems to think QB is less than the most important position in the sport, and some of y’all are so invested in him being successful here you’re calling his absurd approach to talent acquisition “reasonable according to the data”.

Devaluing the QB by saying “you can win without an elite player there” is quintessential Miami over the last 20 years: making winning harder instead of easier. Can you win a ship without a stud QB? Yes, but why on earth would you try? It makes it exponentially harder to win without one and exponentially easier to win with one. Miss me with the “it can be done” line, instead explain to me why any HC in his right mind would intentionally make his path to success more difficult by not getting a proven baller at the most important position on the field? Literally should be job 1 of every class. Instead Mario whiffed 2 years straight. Guy can’t even take credit for Brown, kid was already committed.

But again, Miami makes winning harder, not easier. Mario called TVD the best QB in the country in his introductory presser, then proceeded to shackle him with an OC and scheme that turned his brain inside out. Freaking one year later and we’re still hearing “he's a great fit for the style of offense Mario wants to run.” What the heck does that mean? I’d like a kid who’s a terrible fit for Mario’s O, because thus far that kid would be TVD. I mean is MC an OC or an HC? When did he last call plays? Is someone else in the country imitating the vaunted “Mario Cristobal O”. We have local high school coaches on here, has the Mario Cristobal offensive coaching clinic sold out? Y’all dying for his insight on how to score 10 more ppg, can’t leave without picking the schematic mind that brought you the lowest point totals in Miami history?

If we’re covering his back on QB crooting, shouldn’t we have, I dunno, a playoff or something appearance on his resume to refer to? Or any evidence at all that his offensive philosophy is something other than a net negative?

The truth is that having a mediocre QB makes winning harder, not easier. Just like having a mediocre HC does. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
Not one person has said Judd is the only qb. should be the only qb or is qb 1. People just choose to skim over the part about taking guys in the portal to go with him , the point is the portal is a more common sense approach of spending money on a qb especially if you need instant help in todays Cfb. Now it’s “ defending Mario” or “qb doesn’t matter”.

This is like reading a political debate , people only see or hear what they want to and then their cognitive dissonance kicks in. Just like when I said the roster and depth is still lacking and we’re paper thin. That suddenly turns into “ but we have as much talent as most Acc schools” or i’m defending Mario . Even though I was the guy blasting him last year for the staff he built , horrible in game coaching, missing on numerous amounts of portal help and there’s a narrative about his offenses.

What D money said is common sense and is no way controversial yet it got turned into some crazy debate.

It’s my biggest criticism of the program since the natty. We make winning harder instead of easier, at every turn. Now he’s doing it with QBs. Why?

You know why. You think it's by design? You think he's got 5 and 4-star QBs banging his door down, but he's identified Judd Anderson as the best of the bunch and telling kids like Air Noland to kick rocks? I know you don't, just making my point.

We REALLY need TVD to ball out this year. Like, desperately. For many reasons. But that kid has to have a big year this year for the longer-term outlook of the program.

The kid came down and visited last week and committed in the room. He went home and got an edit made and announced. It coincided with the Air stuff, but wasn't dependent on it. Also, the school not only didn't "announce" his commitment, they can't even comment on a recruit until he signs per the NCAA. The kid committed and announced it.

How and where are the staff trying to "oversell" and "pass him off" as anything? Again, they haven't commented, can't comment, let alone "oversell" or "pass him off" as anything. What are you talking about? but they saw a prospect they think can develop into a guy who can help them make money and they went after him. They are happy. I hope they made a good eval. We all most of us do.

I do agree with everything you wrote after the parts I bolded above though. Except the momentum thing. That is by design. This staff is doing their best to not get caught up in the decommitment part of it all. They want kids to be sure, and we've had exactly zero official visits so far, because you can't take them yet. Before a kid commits you get to play offense. Once they commit you have to play defense. We've had an absolutely incredible amount of top talent come through unofficially so far this spring. They will keep coming and so will these commits. Kids talk, they know a lot of talent is serious about UM. Mario showed you the blueprint for how he wants to do it last year, I'm not sure why anyone is concerned at this point. I will be VERY surprised if we don't stack another excellent class on top of the kids we just got.

Let's not be naïve. You know what I'm talking about. They gave him the green light to announce. Kids don't do that without the coaches permission.

There was message board chatter regarding recruits (WR's on campus this past weekend) comments about coaches showing them video of Judd and passing him off as a great get at QB for us. Now again that's hearsay and I'm aware they can't comment on a kid themselves publicly until they sign.

Advertisement
This is the problem with having five different arguments at once. Things get mixed.

Go back and look at the statement you are quoting- I’m talking about signing Top 100 recruit, superstar types. The Lawrences and Tebows. Those guys aren’t necessary to build championship teams. Many title QBs aren’t superstars, and some of the superstars (Burrow, Newton) are transfer kids or non-Top 100 recruits.

Separately, you are making a point about blue chip vs. non-blue chip in general. It’s not a pre-requisite- 67% is not 80-90%- but it’s also not a high bar. We’ve signed a ton of blue chip QBs recently, and it’s very possible that Judd gets a fourth star if he has a good year.

Which brings it full circle to the original point- you don’t need to win the elite QB sweepstakes to win big. Spend big on DL/CB/WR, swing big on QB traits and if you need a safer bet, go to the Portal.

The irony is that Mario signed a Top 50 kid at QB before he left (Ty Thompson). He got beaten out by Bo Nix, who reinvented himself as an NFL prospect behind a Mirabal-built OL.
The reason this thread is so contentious is because for the most part everyone has a good point.

Bennet at uga and Watson at Clemson are two outliers for completely opposite reasons.

Uga almost beat Bama with Fromm. And they’ve won 2 titles with bennet.
That doesn’t mean they didn’t try their hardest to land the most highly rated qb’s despite all the talent surrounding them.
I doubt Kirby is saying “don’t worry we can win with anybody”.

Dabo struck gold twice but let’s not act like sunshine didn’t have a ridiculous squad.

We also have to take into account the explosion of offensive football in the last few years that seams to have affected what the definition of an elite qb is.

Tennessee killed Bama with a transfer from vtech.

Newman who transferred to uga was killing it at wake and was never heard from again.

Hartman is now at notre dame from that same system as Newman. He was a 3 star. Let’s see if he can duplicate what he did at wake.

We are seeing the evolution of the game as we speak and maybe it’s more of a reaction to the qb crapshoot and less to do with dealing with defenses.

Tcu reached the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.
And I can’t even tell you who their qb is. But everyone knows who their oc was and where he is now.

Let's not be naïve. You know what I'm talking about. They gave him the green light to announce. Kids don't do that without the coaches permission.

There was message board chatter regarding recruits (WR's on campus this past weekend) comments about coaches showing them video of Judd and passing him off as a great get at QB for us. Now again that's hearsay and I'm aware they can't comment on a kid themselves publicly until they sign.
It was no secret we were taking a developmental qb. It’s been posted on here too many times to count , just like we’d be taking two qb’s. A portal or Hs kid as number two. People just want to freak out because they like doing that. It’s always Armageddon around here. We’ll have plenty of time to freak out when Mario uses two timeouts at midfield then punts during the season

Advertisement
It was no secret we were taking a developmental qb. It’s been posted on here too many times to count , just like we’d be taking two qb’s. A portal or Hs kid as number two. People just want to freak out because they like doing that. It’s always Armageddon around here. We’ll have plenty of time to freak out when Mario uses two timeouts at midfield then punts during the season

I hear ya man. I'm not necessarily in the freak out mode for him. He looks like a decent developmental QB. However, the optics just doesn't look very good with the timing and the lack of momentum we have in recruiting. Ideally, he would have been the 2nd QB to jump on board, not the first.

Not one person has said Judd is the only qb. should be the only qb or is qb 1. People just choose to skim over the part about taking guys in the portal to go with him , the point is the portal is a more common sense approach of spending money on a qb especially if you need instant help in todays Cfb. Now it’s “ defending Mario” or “qb doesn’t matter”.

This is like reading a political debate , people only see or hear what they want to and then their cognitive dissonance kicks in. Just like when I said the roster and depth is still lacking and we’re paper thin. That suddenly turns into “ but we have as much talent as most Acc schools” or i’m defending Mario . Even though I was the guy blasting him last year for the staff he built , horrible in game coaching, missing on numerous amounts of portal help and there’s a narrative about his offenses.

What D money said is common sense and is no way controversial yet it got turned into some crazy debate.
I specifically said "as the only QB in the class", which thus far he is. Also the staff tweeted out "QB1", which is an odd thing to do if you're sure he's the second QB in the class.

Mario has had very mixed results in the portal, especially on offense. You can expect him to save multiple years of failure with HS recruits by having multiple years of success with portal recruits, but I'm not. There's no evidence of it.

There's nothing political about my response. If you're making the same point on page 35 as you did on 5, that feels a lot more like an agenda. Using extreme examples as a proof case does as well, whether its "look 3* QBs win games too" or "look UGA did it so can we". Saying its easier to with elite DL isn't controversial, but it's also not all that was said.

Advertisement
I know nobody likes this guy, he’s a dork, he doesn’t know anything, he hates Miami blah blah blah…..but the fact of the matter is **** near every kid we recruit follows on3 in some aspect, and this is the optics that are out there on this class and specifically the QB position.

Mario will love this lol

QB is the hardest position to evaluate and project, we all know that. But at least all the big, winning programs are signing elite ones. If they bust, if they get beat out by lower ranked kids, if they get beat out by transfers, so be it. But they're getting the highly ranked kids, who attract other highly ranked kids on the offensive side of the ball.

So if we recruit a 5-star or high 4-star QB and pair him with Judd, and Judd beats him out, awesome. But this kid can't be the only QB you sign. Literally no other elite programs are doing it this way, what makes us think we can?

So hard, agree. I'm not sure I've seen anyone say that we should only sign Judd, or frankly only one QB no matter who he is this year. My personal point has been the data shows the opposite, you need to stack arms, numbers, increase your chances of a hit, because so many of the QB commits miss, even the "elite" guys who are top 100 nationally (70% don't provide a return).

You should basically never, ever count on a HS QB delivering IMO. Too many flame out or transfer. Worse off they are expensive to land in the first place. Which is why the portal makes so much more sense for QB these days. You know what you're getting in many cases as they've played at this level, not just hoping. If I were a HC I'd want to allocate a good portion of of my QB room and NIL budget to portal players. Known entities that have shown they can perform at this level, and handle the rigors of college. Lincoln Riley and Lane Kiffin, two high level offense-focused coaches have been way out in front on this.

I know nobody likes this guy, he’s a dork, he doesn’t know anything, he hates Miami blah blah blah…..but the fact of the matter is **** near every kid we recruit follows on3 in some aspect, and this is the optics that are out there on this class and specifically the QB position.

Lol a Josh Newberg video is going to affect the recruits that Miami is recruiting the **** out of and are visiting Miami’s campus and hearing Mario’s vision/message?

Advertisement

You hitting the nail on the head but people here wanna argue. Why not get high upside guy from high school and if necessary portal in an experience guy to compete next year. No one is evening crowning Judd. I just think their reasoning makes total sense.

Not trying to start anything or get in the middle of what you two are debating here. But this guy, Steven Schrum (who is Mario's "manager of scouting logistics and personnel") did tweet "QB1" in reference to Judd's commitment.

It's not all a conspiracy, my man. We wanted him, he had some other really good options, we recruited the **** out of him, won, he committed to us on the visit, he announced. You think the baseline, the norm, would be to **** with him and tell him he can't announce yet? To give him a reason to think that everything we've been telling him about how bad we want him is BS? A kid we really want? It's not all black helicopters.

As far as the coaches showing kids film on Judd and why they think he is big time... I should ******* hope so!!! :)

You obviously go for the better projected talent.. it’s just not foolproof. Some things can’t be measured.
If our staff is looking for foolproof they should be fired immediately. A part of talent acquisition is optics. Their has to be some risks taken unless we are looking to build a G5 powerhouse.

Advertisement
Back