On Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne...

View as article
NIL doesn’t have contracts? The portal doesn’t have time limits? Tampering is legal and open? Agents don’t backchannel in the NFL?

The one thing I agree with is that there is no salary cap. It comes down to how much money we can raise. So to those who have concerns about DT, I encourage you to sign up at www.CanesConnection.com with promo code “CIS” for 20% off the first month.
The contracts aren't holding players from leaving whenever they want. Imagine if Kirk Cousins who just signed for 140 million guaranteed decided in May nevermind I want to test "free agency" again. The Falcons would laugh and either trade him or ignore it. NIL doesn't hold players or coaches hostage. The time limits to enter the portal are one thing but in the NFL contracts end at same time and everyone has equal access to the players that they know will be available. In college anybody is fair game at any time. Agents backchannel and players force trades but I don't think what happens in college is that professional.

Advertisement
Except it's not fantasy, it's reality. Also, fantasy players don't leave your roster because you don't give them better NIL.

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF
Fantasy football is an app you download.

Now we're down to the ginger from Ohio University.

Yikes.

This is really what it boils down to. It’s not who leaves but who replaces them. Because we needed all three of Kelly, Wayne and especially JHH as our best DT in the 2024 rotation. So if three high quality guys including a DT better than Hunte join the team then we are legit conference contenders, assuming we also fill all the other holes still on roster. If we’re stuck with more like Gore, Cook, Lichtenstein, Height types the defense will be a real liability.

Advertisement
Fantasy football is an app you download.
I'm aware of what it is and not sure how that relates to what's going on. Not sure why you have such an issue with comparing it to free agency. Maybe you're old-school and don't like where college sports has gone. That's fine, but this is where it's going and nothing any of us can do about it. Players have agents and go to where they can get the best deal or best fit. That's free agency. Does it need more regulation? Absolutely, but just because it's not EXACTLY like NFL free agency doesn't mean it's not at least close to it.

I Have Spoken GIF by IMDb

JHH was better than Leonard Taylor last year.

But like others have stated...they want to improve r upgrade size....YET.......... grab guys like Gore, Branson Deen, and now Marley Cook out of the portal.

Their actions dont compute to that.

JHH likely didnt fully get along with COach Joe, and likely was an Nil casualty of him trying to leverage them currently.

Wayne i get...if he isnt a ton above incoming freshman and at his likely price...you concede.

I personally dont currently see an upgrade to JHH in the portal....he likely becomes a hot commodity in there. Wayne i think we can add a guy with length we will be ok.

That’s why I’m so concerned. I don’t see anyone better than JHH and we already needed another NT so I am skeptical Mario pulls it off.

As far as Wayne it’s the pattern that bothers me. Moss, Achaeompong, Kelly now Wayne. That’s a lot of Mario DE recruits who were highly rated and are already gone. Doesn’t give me confidence he’ll do any better with future classes.

Ward is the best QB we've had at the position in 25 years. If he was the only player we took in the portal, it would have been a resounding success on its own.
He’s the most important player we’ve recruited since I’ve been following the team closely no doubt

Advertisement

This is the scoop on Jared Harrison-Hunte and Jayden Wayne after discussions with numerous sources:

I've always been a Jared Harrison-Hunte fan and believe he's a good player. In my opinion, he was better than Leonard Taylor last year. He was also a very personable and sharp young man from my dealings with him. His departure seems to have come down to two factors.

First, Harrison-Hunte was one of Manny's first signees as head coach (Class of 2019) and flirted with the Portal several times since he's been here. It seems he never fully bought in to the culture. Second, and more importantly, Miami believes it can upgrade in terms of size and ability in the Portal. One DT is more likely, but two DTs are possible if it's the right two. Ahmad Moten is an internal name that's being counted on to step up.

To me, this move will be judged by what Miami does in the Portal. If the staff upgrades at DT, we are a better team. If they don't, we take a step back in a must-win season. Jared Harrison-Hunte was going to help us this year.

Wayne's situation is a little different. His development was slower than you'd like for a high-value, Top 100 recruit. He was never a pure rusher and, despite a good work ethic and good size/speed traits, it hasn't clicked for him yet. The fact that Cole McConathy started in the spring game and Marquise Lightfoot flashed so much is telling. That said, I think Wayne can be a good player with a smart transfer and continued development.

As we've been saying for weeks, I expect Miami to add a veteran DE who is an immediate upgrade at the position. The goal is to win right now.

To those who have been critical of development, I get it. IMO, the transfer-heavy nature of the defense is the result of subpar recruiting at DL and DB. These are things we all discussed in realtime. DL seems to have corrected with last year's haul, which was the best in the nation. We have a new defensive back coach. In the short-term, those positions are going to lean heavily on the Portal.

I kinda figured and makes sense on both…BUT I just don't get the "upgrade in terms of size and ability in the portal"…Besides Burrow or unless you are looking at Bear Alexander (bit of a drama queen), there isn't much at DT in the portal

Advertisement
It is closer to fantasy football than free agency.
depends on where you talking about ... colorado is fantasy football ... others have done a good job of plugging holes or upgrading talent ... i think for the most part we've plugged holes and a few potential upgrades

I just don't get why we don't move faster. Even when we tamper, it takes forever. The Arizona kid went in the portal and Texas got him pretty quickly.

Mario is a great HS recruiter because he is relentless in the long game, but appears that the shorter time frame might be something he's not good at right now.

I just don't get why we don't move faster. Even when we tamper, it takes forever. The Arizona kid went in the portal and Texas got him pretty quickly.

Mario is a great HS recruiter because he is relentless in the long game, but appears that the shorter time frame might be something he's not good at right now.

I have no doubt they are trying, but like you said…we need to do something different when it comes to portal approach/urgency.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back