Olsen & Dewey

Some notable strengths of the offense this year was solid pass protection and athletic receivers to stretch the field. The route running was just average IMO, favoring a QB with a big arm to take advantage of the available deep ball as opposed to a game-manager type QB like Williams who could thrive in an offense like Duke's with great route running and average athleticism. Even if/when the route running improves the Canes will always feature elite, field-stretching speed at WR, demanding a QB with arm strength to match. I went back to compare Dewey and Olsen's film (Dewey's senior vs. Olsen's junior) and I didn't see much to separate the two. UTough and a year on the practice field will likely tell the tale.
Big difference is who they are playing with/against.

Advertisement
Dewey made me cringe when I watched him practice. He was rattled and looked as out of sorts as I've seen a QB around here. Not that Crow looked significantly better. Maybe they've both made strides since I saw them months ago.

True freshman...

I'm aware. You never like to see a guy shellshocked, though. You rather see a True Frosh struggle because the game is too fast, or because he hasn't grown into his body, etc. Dewey was a true freshman who was held back a year, too. He's a year older than those in his class. Anyway, we'll get a much better look this spring.

Dewey has more tools than Crow but he came from a very small private school league so the speed is much more amped up for him. Crow's problem is he has bad footwork. Very heavy footed. Can Jedd fix that? I don't know. But I rather take my chance on the guy who better mechanics but doesn't have the experience of playing against elite athletes.

Isn't Dewey from Texas? we all know how Texas folks feel about their state's high school football....smh.

Florida Teams would smash Texas and Cali teams. Let's see Long Beach Poly, De La Salle, Katy(TX)Come play them boys in SouthFla.

l've probably said this 100 times already on CIS, but it needs to be said it.

The day Ryan Williams or Preston Dewey beats out Kevin Olsen in a fair straight up QB competition, is the day **** freezes over.

Advertisement
I saw Olsen take a tremendous hit on film. He bounced right back up. The last time Jesus took a hit that hard, it took him 3 days to get back up.

Wow watch out for bolts of lightning. Remind me never to stand near you at a game lol

Dewey made me cringe when I watched him practice. He was rattled and looked as out of sorts as I've seen a QB around here. Not that Crow looked significantly better. Maybe they've both made strides since I saw them months ago.

True freshman...

I'm aware. You never like to see a guy shellshocked, though. You rather see a True Frosh struggle because the game is too fast, or because he hasn't grown into his body, etc. Dewey was a true freshman who was held back a year, too. He's a year older than those in his class. Anyway, we'll get a much better look this spring.

I was at a few practices this past fall. I was very disapointed in Dewey. For a kid who had Ty Detmer as a HS coach, I expected him to be much more fundamentally sound. He had an awkward release. His footwork wasn't bad, but he just didn't look like a Miami QB. I remember seeing Morris his Freshman year and he was athletic and had a Gun. He had potential, just needed his technique to be refined. Dewey just wasn't impressive at all. Crow was worse.....strong arm, terrible footwork, not very athletic.

It'll be between Dewey and Olsen in 2014. Dewey is a very heady QB, meaning he's smart as **** and his mechanics are as good as they get. Olsen has been compared to Chad Pennington, which I'm not sure I agree with. I've also heard him compared to Kellen Moore. I think that may be more accurate plus Olsen has a better arm then Kellen.

I think what'll separate the two is mobility and experience shown. I think Olsen has a touch more upside than Dewey but it'll be a fun battle to watch. We are in great hands with either at the helm.

At the Elite 11 one of the scouts was quoted as saying he was a taller, stronger armed Kellen Moore. From what I've seen of him that looks like the best characterization of him, as well as a **** of a compliment.

it is a compliment but I'm so sick of thoughtless comparisons...every undersized white receiver is a 'wes welker' type and so on...it's as if the visible traits go more into comparing than the actual talents.

Olsen has a similar hair style and jaw structure to kellen moore...great. He is already bigger and I fully expect him to be built like a man in 2 yrs when he is starting for us. Kid OOZES moxie and just has so much swag it's ridiculous. As for his physical ability, who knows how much stronger his arm gets but probably never to the level of Morris...so what. He can already make every throw needed whether it's short touch, medium, or long.

Sure it's nice to be compared to a former college QB who put up big numbers...but I don't see any similarity...any time I've watched him on film he looks like his own man...he acts like it too.

I've heard quite a few people that believe Ryan Williams will be starting in 2014 and it will be Olsen's job to lose in 2015 as a redshirt soph

20.gif

Advertisement
it is a compliment but I'm so sick of thoughtless comparisons...every undersized white receiver is a 'wes welker' type and so on...it's as if the visible traits go more into comparing than the actual talents.

Olsen has a similar hair style and jaw structure to kellen moore...great. He is already bigger and I fully expect him to be built like a man in 2 yrs when he is starting for us. Kid OOZES moxie and just has so much swag it's ridiculous. As for his physical ability, who knows how much stronger his arm gets but probably never to the level of Morris...so what. He can already make every throw needed whether it's short touch, medium, or long.

Sure it's nice to be compared to a former college QB who put up big numbers...but I don't see any similarity...any time I've watched him on film he looks like his own man...he acts like it too.

I'm referring to ability as a distributor. I agree though Olsen seems to have that confidence about him. I think he takes 1st string in 14'

True freshman...

I was at a few practices this past fall. I was very disapointed in Dewey. For a kid who had Ty Detmer as a HS coach, I expected him to be much more fundamentally sound. He had an awkward release. His footwork wasn't bad, but he just didn't look like a Miami QB. I remember seeing Morris his Freshman year and he was athletic and had a Gun. He had potential, just needed his technique to be refined. Dewey just wasn't impressive at all. Crow was worse.....strong arm, terrible footwork, not very athletic.

All the reports when he was being recruited were that his mechanics were stellar. I find it hard to believe they went to complete **** between now and then.

The quality of teammates and competition are certainly valid point of reference, but don't always tell the whole story. For example take Max Wittek: Kid comes out of QB factory Mater Dei, redshirts a year and change under Matt Barkley but then wilted badly on a big stage in the Sun Bowl against a very average GT team, all while having Robert Woods and Marquise Lee to throw to.
[This was in response to the suggestion that the big difference between Dewey and Olsen was who they played with/against. Haven't mastered the art of the reply yet.]

Last edited:
I don't know much about the QB's since I didn't follow our QB recruitment last season but I am still in pain from Kyle Wright saga. Olsen seems more legit I think but again KW came in as thew #1QB, looked the part etc but....

KW got hampered by having different coordinators almost every year. didnt help his development at all

And now KW is a snitch, who better look both ways when crossing the road.

Advertisement
Wright had a condom full of **** for a brain. Couldn't process things quick enough. That and him and his Father were Parade All-American ***gots.

I'm referring to ability as a distributor. I agree though Olsen seems to have that confidence about him. I think he takes 1st string in 14'

def agree for '14

I don't know much about the QB's since I didn't follow our QB recruitment last season but I am still in pain from Kyle Wright saga. Olsen seems more legit I think but again KW came in as thew #1QB, looked the part etc but....

KW got hampered by having different coordinators almost every year. didnt help his development at all

Kyle Wright was everything you look for in a drop back passer physically, but he didn't have the "it" factor.
That magic that made a string bean like Dorsey into one of the greatest college qb's ever or the mojo that made guys like
Kosar and Walsh far surpass average physical attributes.

I can still remember back in the early 80's watching a UM practice and seeing Kosar shot put 20 yard wounded ducks then watching this
backup come in who looked physically like what God intended a qb to look like fire off 50 yard lasers on target thinking if this Testaverde guy ever gets it together mentally he's going to be unbelievable.

Wright never had it upstairs or in his heart.
Lots of talented guys now and in the past who are not playing football like Heath Shuler at Tenn who looked like one of the greatest qb's ever physically but not mentally.

We all forget one of the greatest athletes ever to come to Miami or ever to play high school sports in Florida, Kenny Kelly.
Great athlete, horrible college qb.

Got a little side tracked but I actually think that Dewey and Olsen compare quite equally. Both are great prospects that need to
sit and learn how to be a college qb.

Have you ever seen any clips or ****, even read about Kyle's playoff game his Sr. season against San Ramon and the Michigan bound QB Sam Keller? If ever there was a guy that I thought had "it" it was this kid. USC coaches and fans went out of their minds when they lost him to us, and that's with John David Booty in the bad for them. You just never ******* know. That's why once LOI day passes, they are all the same to me. Get them to Greentree and see what you have. That all world can't miss kid that you fap about all year, a kid like Willie Williams might flame out, and some 190 lb LB that you didn't even realized signed a letter of intent 6 weeks before Fall camp might end up being the best football player I've ever seen, Ray Lewis. Great, but frustrating read:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/HIGH-SCHOOL-FOOTBALL-Monte-Vista-snatches-win-2753973.php

Advertisement
LOL Wow .... And these are the dudes that people on here respect for their post and give high reguards too...... Lol .. GTFOOH

After Morris wins the ACC this season, Olsen will be given the crown and everyone will bow to him. Make no mistake about it. Dewey, Crow, Williams - doesn't matter. Olsen is the next heir to the throne.

Lol this made me laugh the most

After Morris wins the ACC this season, Olsen will be given the crown and everyone will bow to him. Make no mistake about it. Dewey, Crow, Williams - doesn't matter. Olsen is the next heir to the throne.

Lol this made me laugh the most

I mean until he started ******* it up for himself I would agree with that statement. I'm still rooting for the kid I'll never turn my back on a youngin like majority of the fair weather fans on here. I never want to see someone young fail I made similar mistakes coming up only difference is I was the provider as a jit with no guidance. Olsen was blessed coming up with nice upbringing which makes it all even more disappointing. sooner than later it's going to click though and I can't wait. I'm still rooting for you Olsen... ***** get yo **** right!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Back