Olsen & Dewey

wacane

Sophomore
People were pretty excited about dewey last year at this time. The excitment level seems to be amped up higher for olsen. Anyone care to compare the 2 as prospects? It would appear that these guys will be battling for starting gig in the future. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement
I don't know much about the QB's since I didn't follow our QB recruitment last season but I am still in pain from Kyle Wright saga. Olsen seems more legit I think but again KW came in as thew #1QB, looked the part etc but....

Advertisement
I'm no expert on mechanics and the mental side of being a quarterback, but I don't think there's much doubt that KO has the advantage in physical upside.

I don't know much about the QB's since I didn't follow our QB recruitment last season but I am still in pain from Kyle Wright saga. Olsen seems more legit I think but again KW came in as thew #1QB, looked the part etc but....

KW got hampered by having different coordinators almost every year. didnt help his development at all

Olsen will start as RS Frosh at the U. I feel for Dewey and Ryan Williams I believe we have a lot of talent at QB on our Roster. I would be cool with whoever we started of those 3 because I'm pretty confident they could get the job done. I remember the fall camp competition between Morris and Williams. The reports always spoke of Morris big arm and Williams accuary and touch. I felt that no matter who we started between the two that we would be alright.

I dont think ryan williams is a miami caliber quarterback. At all. He's here because we had nobody else

Advertisement
I dont think ryan williams is a miami caliber quarterback. At all. He's here because we had nobody else

Really? I mean he didn't have the biggest arm but I think he would be a good decision maker with the football.
I know at Memphis he wasn't all that but he's come a LONG way.

It'll be between Dewey and Olsen in 2014. Dewey is a very heady QB, meaning he's smart as **** and his mechanics are as good as they get. Olsen has been compared to Chad Pennington, which I'm not sure I agree with. I've also heard him compared to Kellen Moore. I think that may be more accurate plus Olsen has a better arm then Kellen.

I think what'll separate the two is mobility and experience shown. I think Olsen has a touch more upside than Dewey but it'll be a fun battle to watch. We are in great hands with either at the helm.

Advertisement

KW got hampered by having different coordinators almost every year. didnt help his development at all

Kyle Wright was everything you look for in a drop back passer physically, but he didn't have the "it" factor.
That magic that made a string bean like Dorsey into one of the greatest college qb's ever or the mojo that made guys like
Kosar and Walsh far surpass average physical attributes.

I can still remember back in the early 80's watching a UM practice and seeing Kosar shot put 20 yard wounded ducks then watching this
backup come in who looked physically like what God intended a qb to look like fire off 50 yard lasers on target thinking if this Testaverde guy ever gets it together mentally he's going to be unbelievable.

Wright never had it upstairs or in his heart.
Lots of talented guys now and in the past who are not playing football like Heath Shuler at Tenn who looked like one of the greatest qb's ever physically but not mentally.

We all forget one of the greatest athletes ever to come to Miami or ever to play high school sports in Florida, Kenny Kelly.
Great athlete, horrible college qb.

Got a little side tracked but I actually think that Dewey and Olsen compare quite equally. Both are great prospects that need to
sit and learn how to be a college qb.

Dewey made me cringe when I watched him practice. He was rattled and looked as out of sorts as I've seen a QB around here. Not that Crow looked significantly better. Maybe they've both made strides since I saw them months ago.

People were pretty excited about dewey last year at this time. The excitment level seems to be amped up higher for olsen. Anyone care to compare the 2 as prospects? It would appear that these guys will be battling for starting gig in the future. Looking forward to it.

There is no comparison.

Advertisement
It'll be between Dewey and Olsen in 2014. Dewey is a very heady QB, meaning he's smart as **** and his mechanics are as good as they get. Olsen has been compared to Chad Pennington, which I'm not sure I agree with. I've also heard him compared to Kellen Moore. I think that may be more accurate plus Olsen has a better arm then Kellen.

I think what'll separate the two is mobility and experience shown. I think Olsen has a touch more upside than Dewey but it'll be a fun battle to watch. We are in great hands with either at the helm.

At the Elite 11 one of the scouts was quoted as saying he was a taller, stronger armed Kellen Moore. From what I've seen of him that looks like the best characterization of him, as well as a **** of a compliment.

Dewey made me cringe when I watched him practice. He was rattled and looked as out of sorts as I've seen a QB around here. Not that Crow looked significantly better. Maybe they've both made strides since I saw them months ago.

True freshman...

True freshman...

I'm aware. You never like to see a guy shellshocked, though. You rather see a True Frosh struggle because the game is too fast, or because he hasn't grown into his body, etc. Dewey was a true freshman who was held back a year, too. He's a year older than those in his class. Anyway, we'll get a much better look this spring.

Advertisement
Back