Olsen and his development

Advertisement
* Golden had strong words when asked about true freshman Kevin Olsen, saying the quarterback needs to be better in his preparation.

Golden’s comments, in full:

“He’s got to learn the game. He’s got to be obedient to a regimen to be a quarterback. It’s got to be the same every day. He’s got to be disciplined, in terms of that. He’s not there yet. He hasn’t owned the process yet. He’s got to improve the mental aspects of his game so that he can play the game fast.

“And he can’t waste this time. He can’t waste this year. He’s got to get better. He’s out here right now throwing — he’s got to. He’s got to be out here throwing every day. When we’re not throwing, he’s got to be throwing anyway. He’s got to be watching the way Stephen and Ryan [Williams] conduct themselves and how they they run the offense. He’s got to know every signal, every call. He’s got to make the right Mike [linebacker] calls on runs, get us in the right protections. He’s got to get going on that side, so he can play faster.”

Interpretation: "Forget that little cooch you left back home. Get your mind on the game. Learn. You MAY have to step up next year if Williams goes down. And don't think I'm EVER going to be satisfied with your progress. After all, I'm Al frikkin' Golden, and you can always get better."

[video=youtube;ggRiipKyNBg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggRiipKyNBg[/video]

Ummmmmm that sounds 100% different than the quotes in the articles.

Advertisement

Yeah, it's surprising how much different the comments sound when you hear them yourself. The printed words seemed much harsher.

Yes it does, sounds like what Golden expects from his redshirting QB and not so much what he isn't doing. He did mention Olsen was out throwing on his own right then and said those are the types of things he has to do. Love how that quote turned into Olsen being Johnny Manziel off the field LOL

Apologies guys

I was foolish enough to think SMD wouldn't embellish the quotes

We should be recruiting tons of QBs. If Willaims is starting next year, Olsen is a bust.

smh wow

Well, unless he is some sort of mythical late bloomer, if he can't beat out a guy with a 15 yard max passing arm, then he is probably not the QB I want to see.

Great Miami QBs could either play or not by their 2nd year, IMO.

I have full confidence in Olsen's development, but not enough were we can sit back and gamble away the next four years on him.

Advertisement
We should be recruiting tons of QBs. If Willaims is starting next year, Olsen is a bust.

smh wow

Well, unless he is some sort of mythical late bloomer, if he can't beat out a guy with a 15 yard max passing arm, then he is probably not the QB I want to see.

"mythical late bloomer"..... ???????????

and what does being a "great" Miami QB have to do w/ anything at this point?

1.) Ryan Williams doesnt have a strong arm but what you said is ridicuolous.... AJ McCarron doesnt have a strong arm either but can make the throws that he needs to make.

- Ryan Williams made a very good throw to Rashawn Scott on the play he got hurt which was a lot deeper then 15 yards. He is going to be one more year in the program next year, which will mean he will develop a stronger arm and become a better QB overall.

2.) Stephen Morris's 1st year of being a very good QB was last year, which was his junior year.... Kevin Olsen can be a good QB next year, but that doesnt mean he will be better then Ryan Williams, which is a good thing.

smh wow

I dont think 3rd year starter Vinny Testaverde got your memo. Kid was cleaning Kosars underwear for 2 years before he got a shot after Kosar split for the NFL his redshirt junior year.

Botom line is that everyone will get a shot if they have patience, show promise and work hard.

Last edited:

smh wow

I dont think 3rd year starter Vinny Testaverde got your memo. Kid was cleaning Kosars underwear for 2 years before he got a shot after Kosar split for the NFL his redshirt junior year.

Botom line is that everyone will get a shot if they have patience, show promise and work hard.

Kosar left after his Sophomore year. I'm just saying, if Olsen can't overtake a bad backup (let's not kid ourselves, Williams was never mean't to take a meaningful snap ever, and when he did, well, you saw last year's UNC debacle) by his second year, don't count on him to be some future star.

When we all saw that Kyle Wright couldn't even handle a snap, let alone play football his first year as a redshirt freshman, some of y'all claimed it was a process. He was a hero for losing to FSU as a starting sophomore, and a phony every game thereafter. Even dull witted Lee Corso said that if KW was any good, he would have started over Brock Berlin.

Logan Thomas is a "process". Either you can play the damned game or you can't, and if Olsen is a backup next year, we better have lots of irons in the fire at QB for 2015.

Seriously.

smh wow

"mythical late bloomer"..... ???????????

and what does being a "great" Miami QB have to do w/ anything at this point?

1.) Ryan Williams doesnt have a strong arm but what you said is ridicuolous.... AJ McCarron doesnt have a strong arm either but can make the throws that he needs to make.

- Ryan Williams made a very good throw to Rashawn Scott on the play he got hurt which was a lot deeper then 15 yards. He is going to be one more year in the program next year, which will mean he will develop a stronger arm and become a better QB overall.

2.) Stephen Morris's 1st year of being a very good QB was last year, which was his junior year.... Kevin Olsen can be a good QB next year, but that doesnt mean he will be better then Ryan Williams, which is a good thing.

Quit making sense. If you can't throw a ball through a brick wall or win a Heisman as a freshmans, then you're crap.

Advertisement

smh wow

Kosar left after his Sophomore year. I'm just saying, if Olsen can't overtake a bad backup (let's not kid ourselves, Williams was never mean't to take a meaningful snap ever, and when he did, well, you saw last year's UNC debacle) by his second year, don't count on him to be some future star.

When we all saw that Kyle Wright couldn't even handle a snap, let alone play football his first year as a redshirt freshman, some of y'all claimed it was a process. He was a hero for losing to FSU as a starting sophomore, and a phony every game thereafter. Even dull witted Lee Corso said that if KW was any good, he would have started over Brock Berlin.

Logan Thomas is a "process". Either you can play the damned game or you can't, and if Olsen is a backup next year, we better have lots of irons in the fire at QB for 2015.

Seriously.

He wasn't even warmed up yet Smokey. He got thrown into a fire with the game on the line. I'm sure 99% of other college QB's would have led Miami to a loss in that same game.

smh wow

Seriously.

We must be watching two different teams - I've been a hard-core fan since 1974 - and I've seen a lot of Miami players in that time. The stupidity I keep hearing is how so-and-so doesn't have an arm, or has a noodle arm, or 'has no gun.'

Many of these comments show a level of ignorance that has no shame. I remember watching (fill in the name of any past quarterback) just rip off five, ten, or sometimes fifteen yard passes, and eat up opposing teams. Michael Irvin? Ask him. Ask him if all his touchdown passes were caught in the end zone. Didn't happen!

We won our first national championship with a redshirt freshman. The stars lined up for us that year just to get there - and to my best recollection - there were eleven men on the field at any given time - NOT just Kosar. I've seen each Miami quarterback time and again, just use the entire field - short to medium passes, and the receivers took off like scalded dogs. THAT was where Miami speed got its reputation.

The myth of the gun is vastly overrated. Usually to have a 'gun,' there are trade-offs. One trade-off normally seen, is what some call 'touch.' Laser arms like Morris come once every decade or two, and while they can chunk it great distances, they've usually never developed the 'touch' that enables them to properly arc the throw required to tear some *** up in the middle of the field.

Get over the laser arm - because this is the last year you'll see one at Miami for God-only-knows how long.

Williams has been putting in the work, learning the system from day ONE, and since he doesn't have a laser, like ninety five percent of quarterbacks, he's had to concentrate on decision making and 'touch.' I'm not fearful for next year with Williams at the helm, but Olsen MUST be ready in case Grey can't get it done when his shot comes along.

When we've gone through a few more recruiting cycles, and we've shored up our team with top South Florida and other nationwide talent, the synergy will lead to being in position to play for more national championships.

We're on our way - and we have some burners. I had hoped that Morris would develop a much better 'touch' and a much improved game management skill - but so far this year, I haven't seen it. If you forego the field in between the hash marks, you've really limited your options. And either Stephen has already made up his mind who he's throwing to when he breaks the huddle - or he gets excited and doesn't run through his check downs.

I would suggest that Williams will not do that - as he's not going for the home run each and every play.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back