OL Zach Dykstra leaves Miami

The only question I have, is does this open up another scholly?

If so, go get a GT LT & a CB.
It doesn’t give us an extra initial counter and we are well below 85 so nope, no benefit. Which is also why if he was forced out, it wasn’t for the scholarship, but rather the culture. My guess is he’s getting his degree and moving in in life.

Advertisement
Herbert was a 4 star recruit per 247.
Hillery was a higher 3 star.

Dykstra was a bit of a flyer offer but the other guys were expected to compete for starting positions.
Expected by a bad staff that evaluated poorly, I guess. They expected more of Dykstra, too.

This is exactly why they have to allow for attrition with the 25 scholarships per year rule.

Miami will have 47 guys on scholarship next year.
Kids transfer out of most programs. This doesn’t prove anything. Our issue has been terrible roster management for 15 years.

That was my first take on it too with the transfer portal, but then I saw someone point out that the 25 scholarship rule actually will help transferring in check as all of these kids leaving teams need to find a team to go to that also hasn't brought in 25 yet.
that doesn’t make sense to me. There has always been a 25 initial counter rule. The tighter rule just hammers schools for non-qualifiers and limits advance signing (greyshirts) which will impact which HS kids they sign, not transfers. Transfers are just a choice.

I don't think anyone liked the Dykstra take, especially when we had a lot of other kids on the board that class that would have been good.
... Donaldson could absolutely be a monster with the right nutrition and S&C. His failure is because of bad development not talent.

Agree we need to throw numbers at the problem until it is solved not just for the starting line but the three deep. The past 4 OL classes have been EPIC FAILS:
  • 2016 Tre Johnson (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2017 Gaynor (marginal Miami-level talent but plays above his natural athleticism), Donaldson (Miami talent, negative development), Herbert (bad eval), Hillery (flyer that hasn't worked out), Dykstra (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2018 Scaife (Miami-level talent), Reed (see Donaldson), Campbell (flyer with outcome unknown, disappointing so far)
  • 2019 Clarke (marginal Miami-level talent who miraculously started as true freshman and looks like a legit starter), Nelson (flyer who miraculously started as trued freshman but was worst in ACC, final outcome unknown), ElGammal (flyer, outcome unknown), Kennedy (desperation transfer, bad eval), Traore (marginal Miami-level talent transfer, outcome unknown)
It’s easy to blame UM for Donaldson’s ‘development.’ But how do you explain Scaife, and Clark?
Maybe Donaldsn just was a bad eval on willingness to work, which is part of evals. Think evals is just physical ability? Nope.

Advertisement
It’s easy to blame UM for Donaldson’s ‘development.’ But how do you explain Scaife, and Clark?
Maybe Donaldsn just was a bad eval on willingness to work, which is part of evals. Think evals is just physical ability? Nope.

I see that. For sure Donaldson is largely to blame. But I also think it's on the coaches to set the tone. And when our two most naturally talented linemen in Donaldson and Reed both get fat, and Campbell and Hillery added on too much weight too quickly to boot, it seems like a systemic problem. For some reason, I just don't see these two kids eating themselves out of roles at Clemson, for example.

Possibly but Miami was hardly the only school recruiting those guys
Schools recruit lots of kids. They get judged for evals based on who they sign.

The ‘other schools were recruiting him too’ lone is one of the least useful in these discussions. You have no idea what they thought or why they didn’t try harder to sign him.

Advertisement
Schools recruit lots of kids. They get judged for evals based on who they sign.

The ‘other schools were recruiting him too’ lone is one of the least useful in these discussions. You have no idea what they thought or why they didn’t try harder to sign him.
Your assumption is that every other school recruiting him would have turned him away then?

Your assumption is that every other school recruiting him would have turned him away then?
No, that isn’t my assumption and it is an absurd way to try to spin this discussion. What a silly straw man. You’re the one making assumptions about what other schools would have done. I simply observe that UM’s eval was bad. We were the only school that signed him.

No, that isn’t my assumption and it is an absurd way to try to spin this discussion. What a silly straw man. You’re the one making assumptions about what other schools would have done. I simply observe that UM’s eval was bad. We were the only school that signed him.
So, if UM hadn’t signed him, nobody would have? You’re the one making the assumption that UM’s evals were horrible despite him clearly being a highly recruited player.

If UM was the only school offering I could say their evaluation process was flawed but plenty of other schools thought he was worth offering

Advertisement
I don't think anyone liked the Dykstra take, especially when we had a lot of other kids on the board that class that would have been good.
... Donaldson could absolutely be a monster with the right nutrition and S&C. His failure is because of bad development not talent.

Agree we need to throw numbers at the problem until it is solved not just for the starting line but the three deep. The past 4 OL classes have been EPIC FAILS:
  • 2016 Tre Johnson (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2017 Gaynor (marginal Miami-level talent but plays above his natural athleticism), Donaldson (Miami talent, negative development), Herbert (bad eval), Hillery (flyer that hasn't worked out), Dykstra (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2018 Scaife (Miami-level talent), Reed (see Donaldson), Campbell (flyer with outcome unknown, disappointing so far)
  • 2019 Clarke (marginal Miami-level talent who miraculously started as true freshman and looks like a legit starter), Nelson (flyer who miraculously started as trued freshman but was worst in ACC, final outcome unknown), ElGammal (flyer, outcome unknown), Kennedy (desperation transfer, bad eval), Traore (marginal Miami-level talent transfer, outcome unknown)

Campbell wasnt a flyer...if ic an recall he is/was like a 4 star recruit

Winning the offseason hasn’t been his problem.

I think getting new people and getting rid of people are two separate conversations. Upgrading is great, but getting rid of people who don't belong is valuable in its own right.

We've dropped a ton of guys that are not qualified to play here, which means Diaz GETS the roster needs to be better and is willing to cut dead weight if need be.

Advertisement
So, if UM hadn’t signed him, nobody would have? You’re the one making the assumption that UM’s evals were horrible despite him clearly being a highly recruited player.

If UM was the only school offering I could say their evaluation process was flawed but plenty of other schools thought he was worth offering
Are you really this dense? Who said ‘no one would have signed him’? Why is that even a relevant standard? You’re flailing.

And your bolded comment is laughable. I’m not making any assumption. His play on the field is plenty of evidence of the failure of UM’s eval. The eval isn’t helped because some fan sites hyped him. You’re trying to defend it based on him being overrated by rivals. Lmao. Wow.

And nice (nah, weak) effort to switch the topic from bad eval to bad eval ‘process.’ Whatever our eval process is, it has consistently produced mediocre results for ages.

Oh, and ‘offers’ aren’t LOIs. Schools send out scores of ‘offers.’ Hundreds, really. Having an ‘offer’ doesn’t make a kid well evaluated.

Advertisement
Back