OL Zach Dykstra leaves Miami

I don't think anyone liked the Dykstra take, especially when we had a lot of other kids on the board that class that would have been good.
... Donaldson could absolutely be a monster with the right nutrition and S&C. His failure is because of bad development not talent.

Agree we need to throw numbers at the problem until it is solved not just for the starting line but the three deep. The past 4 OL classes have been EPIC FAILS:
  • 2016 Tre Johnson (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2017 Gaynor (marginal Miami-level talent but plays above his natural athleticism), Donaldson (Miami talent, negative development), Herbert (bad eval), Hillery (flyer that hasn't worked out), Dykstra (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2018 Scaife (Miami-level talent), Reed (see Donaldson), Campbell (flyer with outcome unknown, disappointing so far)
  • 2019 Clarke (marginal Miami-level talent who miraculously started as true freshman and looks like a legit starter), Nelson (flyer who miraculously started as trued freshman but was worst in ACC, final outcome unknown), ElGammal (flyer, outcome unknown), Kennedy (desperation transfer, bad eval), Traore (marginal Miami-level talent transfer, outcome unknown)

Advertisement
We've had a lot of washouts along the OL. The trenches is holy grail. You can have a suck@$$ QB that can't throw over 20 yards, but give him time to throw, and he'll pick you apart methodically. We've had so much attrition, along w/ inconsistencies along the OL. How many different changes have we've had during the season to find the "right" combination? How often have we had guys incapable of being back ups? Jeez.

Advertisement
That 2017 recruiting class, especially along the o-line, Woof..rickety really fvcked us with that crop smh

Yet, some of y’all w/ the O&G glasses jumped down my throat when I said this dude was not Miami caliber, and he’s a poor representation of what a Midwest OL should look like.

He was never Miami caliber, and it was a **** poor evaluation. Dykstra belonged in a G5 conference. I wasn’t bashing the kid (OK, maybe a little b/c homers were getting on my nerves), but I was more less ****ed w Richt & Sizzearles w this offer.

Anyways, hope he lands on his feet to a program that best fit his skill set and abilities, while furthering his education.

If it wasn’t clear before:
1) Richt treated this job as a retirement job/way to show the talking heads he was more about proving he could still call plays. The culture and program building (external to ipf funding he gave) was incredibly lazy and half -assed.
2) I think he thought since he wasn’t in the sec anymore he wouldn’t have to work as hard in the ACC

Advertisement
Good, thanks for your service now let's get another grad transfer in the offensive line room.

it’s not that simple with the IC limits and since we’ll be nowhere close to 85 scholarships, him and others being here are able practice bodies that can only be helpful to the program. Not sure why so many are happy to see kids leave unless they are an issue in the locker room.

Somehow butch barry was worse, I never thought I would see a worse o-line display then 2018, then 2019 came

Bro, i was re-watching games from 2018 and it was ole central....shurely we thought this couldn't be any worst. Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen last year happened. lol. Smh.

Advertisement
Was this the guy who was doing handstands and had posters creaming in their pants when he was a recruit?

Part of that masterful 2017 OL class...

Donaldson - Fat and a JAG
Herbert - can't see the field - JAG
Hillery - can't see the field - JAG
Dykstra - Not Miami Material - Transferred
UnFu*kingbelievable....smh...Absolute Total Embarrassment...

Advertisement
If it wasn’t clear before:
1) Richt treated this job as a retirement job/way to show the talking heads he was more about proving he could still call plays. The culture and program building (external to ipf funding he gave) was incredibly lazy and half -assed.
2) I think he thought since he wasn’t in the sec anymore he wouldn’t have to work as hard in the ACC

I think Richt grossly underestimated how hard it is to win at Miami, and when the reality smacked him in the face he just gave up. It's much harder to win consistently at Miami than at UGA, and he knew he didn't have it in him to see it through.

I don't think anyone liked the Dykstra take, especially when we had a lot of other kids on the board that class that would have been good.
... Donaldson could absolutely be a monster with the right nutrition and S&C. His failure is because of bad development not talent.

Agree we need to throw numbers at the problem until it is solved not just for the starting line but the three deep. The past 4 OL classes have been EPIC FAILS:
  • 2016 Tre Johnson (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2017 Gaynor (marginal Miami-level talent but plays above his natural athleticism), Donaldson (Miami talent, negative development), Herbert (bad eval), Hillery (flyer that hasn't worked out), Dykstra (not Miami material, transferred out)
  • 2018 Scaife (Miami-level talent), Reed (see Donaldson), Campbell (flyer with outcome unknown, disappointing so far)
  • 2019 Clarke (marginal Miami-level talent who miraculously started as true freshman and looks like a legit starter), Nelson (flyer who miraculously started as trued freshman but was worst in ACC, final outcome unknown), ElGammal (flyer, outcome unknown), Kennedy (desperation transfer, bad eval), Traore (marginal Miami-level talent transfer, outcome unknown)

This right here tells the whole story and what happens when you hire bad coaches.

That's a hodge podge of bad evals and poor player development. And worst of all, then you expect these guys to effectively run and pass block in a pro-style scheme... They didn't stand a chance.

Thank God we're going to a spread so we won't have to rely on having an elite OL year in, year out in order to have double-digit win seasons. Regardless though, we need to do a much better job with our OL going forward.

I mean if he wasn’t talented enough to play on this level of football, it’s really on the coaches for recruiting him, I’d take a free ride to the U as well lol

Advertisement
Back