OL Rotation

The players that started every practice in spring were Campbell-LT, Gaynor-C and Scaife-RG. Traore is the leader and starter at LG but they clearly put Rivers there to push him. Herbert and Zion are battling at RT. Clark is backup C.

I expect that to be the OL barring injuries or a grad transfer.
What are your expectations for Traore if he does indeed start?

Advertisement
It's a shame we don't have better tackles, cause I think Scaife could be a really great guard. Who knows, maybe between possible transfers and someone on the roster stepping up it could still come to fruition.

With that being said, and given what we had at the beginning of last year.....it was downright negligence NOT to start last year with Scaife at tackle given how raw Zion was. Hopefully this year the depth is better.

The players that started every practice in spring were Campbell-LT, Gaynor-C and Scaife-RG. Traore is the leader and starter at LG but they clearly put Rivers there to push him. Herbert and Zion are battling at RT. Clark is backup C.

That's a huge yikes and still the achilles heel of this team. Positives about the situation and why we can expect improvement:
  1. Lashlee's new spread offense should be more player friendly, especially for the offensive line
  2. D'Eriq King's mobility will mask the talent deficiency of the offensive line
  3. Garin Justice's coaching should be an upgrade over previous regimes based on his experience at other schools
Overall, no matter what this unit won't be a strength but if they can be middle of the pack that's a big boost.

I may be one of the only ones but I think this will be one of the best groups on the team for years to come. Save me the 2019 failure talk because we more than likely will return this entire group (outside of Donaldson and anyone that wants to grad transfer) for the 2021 season too. That allows us to get older but also redshirt and develop our new crop of guys and let them drop their nuts before putting them in front of good defensive lines. The infrastructure of an explosive offense is here moving forward

Advertisement
I may be one of the only ones but I think this will be one of the best groups on the team for years to come. Save me the 2019 failure talk because we more than likely will return this entire group (outside of Donaldson and anyone that wants to grad transfer) for the 2021 season too. That allows us to get older but also redshirt and develop our new crop of guys and let them drop their nuts before putting them in front of good defensive lines. The infrastructure of an explosive offense is here moving forward
Have to start somewhere. No such thing as zero to hero overnight.

Campbell @ LT is a downright scary thought. Hopefully this new scheme can protect him.

Yeah, I'm not near as confident. I like Kings legs to bail us out but man whoever is the starting QB when we play Bama in 21 may want to take out a life insurance policy, it's gonna be ugly.

Advertisement
A blowed out ACL shouldn't be a huge deal for an interior OL but unless Nablob loses like 30-40 lbs he might not fit Lashlee's scheme so well. With Nablob it's all about diet. If he can stop chugging slurpees and washing it down with french fries, he could probably perform at a high level at 6'5 310

I actually think a rotation of this 8-9 guys is actually a decent one.

JC
Gaynor
McDonaldson
Zion
Clark
Scaife
Tarore/Rivers
Herbert

Advertisement
Yeah, I'm not near as confident. I like Kings legs to bail us out but man whoever is the starting QB when we play Bama in 21 may want to take out a life insurance policy, it's gonna be ugly.

Our entire line that started last year will be playing against Bama minus Donaldson but we’ll still have Clark. Could possibly have Walker/Washington/Rivers in a starting spot as well. I like our OL with years of experience vs Bama’s DL that loses NFL talent every year

Advertisement
Our entire line that started last year will be playing against Bama minus Donaldson but we’ll still have Clark. Could possibly have Walker/Washington/Rivers in a starting spot as well. I like our OL with years of experience vs Bama’s DL that loses NFL talent every year
They reload every year with more NFL talent. In 2020 they signed the #1 and #2 DEs in the nation.

I'm afraid it's gonna be ugly my man. I will set the O/U at 6 sacks.

LT - John Campbell or Jarrid Williams (if we get him)/ Adam ElGammal
LG - Ousman Traore/ Jalen Rivers
C - Corey Gaynor/ Jakai Clark
RG - Delone Scaife/ Navaughn Donaldson/ Cleveland Reed
RT - Jarrid Williams (if we get him) or Issiah Walker (if we get him)/ Kai Leon-Herbert/ Chris Washington

Redshirts: Zion Nelson, Chris Washington & (possibly) Navaughn Donaldson.

A lot will be contingent upon of we get either Williams & Walker or one of'em. If we get Williams I'd put him at LT & move John back to RT, if we get Walker keep Campbell at LT & let Walker get a shot at RT.

Zion & Herbert CANNOT start this season, just can't happen, there's too much riding on the season to play either one of them this year. Zion had no business playing last year & should've been a Redshirt, he probably shouldn't see the field until his Redshirt Junior season. Herbert is even worse than Zion IMO, he should never play, he's quite possibly the worst OT I've ever seen.

Idk if they'll redshirt Donaldson but I don't think he'll start. Maybe if the Guards in front of him get hurt he may see snaps but shirting & coming back for a 5th year might be best for him, however he may not be receptive to it & you never know if he wounds up having to play this year if someone gets hurt. I think he can contribute as a rotational Guard, but I doubt he starts this year.

If we can get Jarrid Williams we'll have a good enough line that will give us a legit shot to make a ACCCG run this year.

And while everyone will throw a bouquets of flowers at the wedding if we get Walker, he's still a True Freshman & if you haven't paid attention having a starting TF at either Tackle spot is not ideal at all. Of course he'd probably play ahead of Zion or Herb given how awful they both are, but the fact is if you're expecting him to come in with no Spring camp & play like an All-American you'll be disappointed. He's going to struggle because all TF OT's struggle, just have to hope it wouldn't be as bad as the other two. Especially considering we don't develop OL's like Bama, Wisconsin, Iowa, Oregon etc do.

I know everyone isn't that high on Campbell but he's actually a pretty serviceable lineman when his assignment is clearly defined for him, he's a solid run blocker, he struggled in pass protect but in Enox's offense it would be difficult for anyone to hold 8sec blocks on 5/7-step drops. In Lashlee's offense under Coach Justice's schooling I think Campbell will make the biggest leap in improvement, he's got great arm length, good size & natural strength & for the first time ever will be getting legitimate coaching.

Coach Justice is a Trickett disciple, which means he'll have our run game up & moving.
I like Walker but iffy on continuing to start true Freshman rn. Zion actually has game experience and now a full year under his belt. Same way you think Campbell will improve I think that of Zion. Herbert is pure caca

I think with another year experience, a lot of these guys can make the jump from garbage to serviceable. I don't think we'll have a dominant line no matter who plays but the combination of a friendlier system, more experience plus possible transfer help can only make the unit better. I would not trust these guys against Alabama. I think they should be able to hold their own against the North Carolina's of the world though.

I like Walker but iffy on continuing to start true Freshman rn. Zion actually has game experience and now a full year under his belt. Same way you think Campbell will improve I think that of Zion. Herbert is pure caca

Agreed. He's not this 6'7, 330 pound freak who has the physical tools to get away with mistakes. He'll need some time. The coronavirus only makes things more difficult.

Advertisement
Back