OL Recruiting

Advertisement
Considering the amount of “OTs” we have recruited recently that have switched to guard when getting to Miami that’s primarily the reason. Hillary and Donaldson recruited as a tackle and switched to guard. Campbell OT but has played guard some this spring I think. Kennedy recruited as an OT but is playing on the interior right now. George Brown is still probably nursing that injury he had last year. It was good however to see kai Leon Herbert get some first team reps at practice recently though.

why are we putting any stock into depth charts a week into "spring practice"??? I would pay more attention to depth chart for last spring scrimmage... and for every argument about prior OL evals failing, you can say, maybe he hit on a lower ranked kid that is actually killing it.

Advertisement
Searels was either opposed or just terrible at recruiting anyone with a left tackle skillset.

With that said, it's trending towards a distinct possibility that Zion Nelson has a lot of this board looking like idiots if he becomes a player for us. If he can add the weight and strength while maintaining his athleticism, then he can be a major steal (probably more dumb luck than anything else)

why are we putting any stock into depth charts a week into "spring practice"??? I would pay more attention to depth chart for last spring scrimmage... and for every argument about prior OL evals failing, you can say, maybe he hit on a lower ranked kid that is actually killing it.

What else are people going to complain about?? Cmon man

Yeah Brock I agree, it’s probably more to do with the attrition at OT that has caused Zion to get major practice time so far on the 2nd line. One can hope that with the additional weight and practice time that Zion will be able to hold down a spot if called upon. And hopefully Brown’s injury is such now that Manny is just being cautious about when he will plug George into the rotation.

Advertisement
Yeah Brock I agree, it’s probably more to do with the attrition at OT that has caused Zion to get major practice time so far on the 2nd line. One can hope that with the additional weight and practice time that Zion will be able to hold down a spot if called upon. And hopefully Brown’s injury is such now that Manny is just being cautious about when he will plug George into the rotation.

If Zion is really able to develop, this is a plus for us. But it doesnt take away from the fact how dismal our OL recruiting has been the last 3 years

We are very light at tackle, so much so we have guards playing tackle for this team. We may only have 3 legit tackles on the roster (Kennedy, Campbell, Zion Nelson)...so the fact that Zion is getting second team reps isn't surprising.

I am far from a Star *****, But I am definitely an offer ***** and he didnt have any thus why I am trying to have a discussion about it

So are we to offer people only because other schools have offered, the best thing for you to do is sit back, stop trying to start b.s. conversations until you actually see guys play at this level. You already trying to put a player down that you've never seen play, but if he had more stars by his name, than you'd already be expecting him to come in and do work, so you are actually both whores offers & stars, cause that's part of the metrics that these nerd recruiting sites use to give players stars by how many offers he has. Let me help you out, coach richt didnt care about stars and our new HCIC dont give a damyum about them either, you and the rest of your nervous kind should follow suit:

"Some people want to dominate the recruiting rankings ... We want to dominate South Florida," head coach Manny Diaz said on 560 WQAM last year when asked about recruiting. "And if we dominate South Florida, what history shows is when Miami dominates South Florida then Miami dominates the world in the fall. That’s the only rankings we care about."

Advertisement
There are 3 OL on the team with significant D1 experience. Boulware, Mahoney, Milo left us high and dry in terms of depth having each left a year of eligibility on the table.

Donaldson - 22 starts
Scaife - 7 starts
Gaynor - 1 start

Searels was either opposed or just terrible at recruiting anyone with a left tackle skillset.

With that said, it's trending towards a distinct possibility that Zion Nelson has a lot of this board looking like idiots if he becomes a player for us. If he can add the weight and strength while maintaining his athleticism, then he can be a major steal (probably more dumb luck than anything else)

I full support full tard luck.

So are we to offer people only because other schools have offered, the best thing for you to do is sit back, stop trying to start b.s. conversations until you actually see guys play at this level. You already trying to put a player down that you've never seen play, but if he had more stars by his name, than you'd already be expecting him to come in and do work, so you are actually both whores offers & stars, cause that's part of the metrics that these nerd recruiting sites use to give players stars by how many offers he has. Let me help you out, coach richt didnt care about stars and our new HCIC dont give a damyum about them either, you and the rest of your nervous kind should follow suit:

"Some people want to dominate the recruiting rankings ... We want to dominate South Florida," head coach Manny Diaz said on 560 WQAM last year when asked about recruiting. "And if we dominate South Florida, what history shows is when Miami dominates South Florida then Miami dominates the world in the fall. That’s the only rankings we care about."

The Bold doesnt make sense for 2 reasons

1. We let 7 P5 level OL leave the region this past recruiting class. Not blaming Manny for this but its obvious we arent dominating OL recruiting in our backyard.

2. Zion isnt from South Florida.

Advertisement
This is a good thing IMO...

Who cares who offered him? Players fly under the radar all the time, which is why there are always plenty of small school players drafted every year.

I expect to see a lot of crow being passed around when this kid ends up being a big time player for us.

The Bold doesnt make sense for 2 reasons

1. We let 7 P5 level OL leave the region this past recruiting class. Not blaming Manny for this but its obvious we arent dominating OL recruiting in our backyard.

2. Zion isnt from South Florida.

Not sure what you consider the "region", but S. Florida is not exactly know for producing great offensive linemen.

Advertisement
Back