OL pass protection

AlexCane

Senior
Let's take a break from regularly scheduled programming of Mario, Blake, Manny, Blake, Mario, Manny and more Manny . . .

Is it me, or has the pass protection vastly improved as the season has progressed? I know the OL gets killed for the lack of a ground game, but IMO, they are doing a good job in pass pro. TVD had a lot of time and some nice, clean pockets to throw.

Advertisement
Advertisement
In another post I pointed out that the guys calling the game made a point to say this group has now played together for a number of games, think they said five. That's what needed to happen three years ago, not moving guys around left to right, or G to T. It seemed to confuse them if they're on Guard or Tackle blocking assignments - said for years, having played the position as a four year starter - it's not the individual, it's how the group plays as a whole; Their familiarity knowing the pass offs, the blitz pick ups the reads. This fan base goes bananas about corners and WRs that may have 2-10 chances during a game. The OL needs to be dialed in for every play.

Ball isn't getting held as long.
I think this is the answer. I really like King but there were multiple times I'd watch him sit back there like he had all day. TVD is making quicker reads and getting the ball out faster or tucking and running. Of course it's not perfect and there will always be room for improvement.

Let's take a break from regularly scheduled programming of Mario, Blake, Manny, Blake, Mario, Manny and more Manny . . .

Is it me, or has the pass protection vastly improved as the season has progressed? I know the OL gets killed for the lack of a ground game, but IMO, they are doing a good job in pass pro. TVD had a lot of time and some nice, clean pockets to throw.
Do you think the height differences between King and TVD are a factor?

I'm a believer in Parcell's QB stature philosophy.

I was thinking to start the same tread, so I agree. Rushing 3 or not, they look way better in pass pro. TVD had a lot of time back there at times. App state wasn’t rushing the house and they were able to get pressure constantly. They look improved, or maybe just more focused.

Advertisement
yes. some improvement, but not as much when you take into account that generally they rushed only 3 and dropped 8. he had some protection, but they got some pressure with only 3 guys. and sometimes he panicked and rolled out instead of climbing the pocket
He’s a freshman so I’ll give him a pass but that’s one of the things he needs to work is moving in the pocket. Several times this year he’s rolled into pressure instead of just stepping up in the pocket.

Advertisement
He’s a freshman so I’ll give him a pass but that’s one of the things he needs to work is moving in the pocket. Several times this year he’s rolled into pressure instead of just stepping up in the pocket.
Yes. This is an area where Garcia is better and you can tell has gotten coaching in. He steps into the pocket and his throws more, which is one of the reasons why his fanboys loving how he pushes the ball more.

Advertisement

We all have been piling on pretty good. Need to give some compliments when they are due. Oline play was strong against a team that has the best D in the league. No, they're not Georgia or Alabama, but they're good. Normally, this has been a problem for the Canes. Is addition to the oline, it looks like we finally have some players that play downhill. Smith at LB has been a heat seeking missile. Williams, Knighton, Taylor, Rambo, Smith. These kids are balling.

Do you think the height differences between King and TVD are a factor?

I'm a believer in Parcell's QB stature philosophy.
Explain that. I haven't heard that one.

I think it may be a factor though. I just watched one of Roman's clips from the game. That pass to Jaylan for the TD . . . King doesn't get that one off. I also think King's escapeability persuades him to run at the sense of any trouble, which leads to the perception that he can't get it off and has to "run for his life." So, yeah, there may be something there.

I think slowing down the offense helped the OL just as much as it did Van *******. They are now able to gather themselves and process what they are looking at instead of just running up to the line and snapping it as fast as possible.

Advertisement
Back