OL pass protection

Advertisement
Let's take a break from regularly scheduled programming of Mario, Blake, Manny, Blake, Mario, Manny and more Manny . . .

Is it me, or has the pass protection vastly improved as the season has progressed? I know the OL gets killed for the lack of a ground game, but IMO, they are doing a good job in pass pro. TVD had a lot of time and some nice, clean pockets to throw.

Center is a massively underrated part of pass pro. Not only do they usually have to take on the largest defender on the field but they also have to make the line calls. Seems the OL has improved since Gaynor went out. Maybe that is just a coincidence, but it would be par for the staff to have a less capable player on the field due to seniority.

Do you think the height differences between King and TVD are a factor?

I'm a believer in Parcell's QB stature philosophy.
We thought King was a freak athlete (based on the low level comp he was going up against at Houston) so that would compensate for his lack of height like Kyler Murray. Come to find out he is a good-great athlete but hes no freak like Murray. I am not saying I thought King was as good as Murray but I did think he could overcome some of the height issues like Murray esp at the college level. TVDs stature definitely plays a big part IMO.

All things considered..TVD should be 4-0. And we would be talking about him in a whole different light then we are now with him at 2-2. Maybe thats the football gods giving some mercy to King because he was a loyal soldier for us and it would suck for there to be the "If TVD had started after the App State game would we be 6-1?" talk.

Advertisement
i believe he can
He absolutely can. But whether Manny is here or not I think he will be advised to move on to the draft or hit the portal. We won't be able to keep Arroyo IMO if Mallory comes back. That kid is not sitting behind him another year knowing he is just as good if not better. Mallory had his chance. He blew it.

There are a few 4th-5th year guys who I have said will be advised to move on even if Manny is retained. Definitely if there is a new coaching staff.

We gonna need road grader's against pitts fast pass rush so it's great he's getting the ball out quickly now than later imo.. but if we can slow down pitt kancy and company we're good to go.. but it's not gonna be a given game.. I think we pull it out only because pitt getting their heads blown up by the media lol thoughts??

We thought King was a freak athlete (based on the low level comp he was going up against at Houston) so that would compensate for his lack of height like Kyler Murray. Come to find out he is a good-great athlete but hes no freak like Murray. I am not saying I thought King was as good as Murray but I did think he could overcome some of the height issues like Murray esp at the college level. TVDs stature definitely plays a big part IMO.

All things considered..TVD should be 4-0. And we would be talking about him in a whole different light then we are now with him at 2-2. Maybe thats the football gods giving some mercy to King because he was a loyal soldier for us and it would suck for there to be the "If TVD had started after the App State game would we be 6-1?" talk.
Tvd should of started from the beginning all this Garcia love I get it but Tvd been here longer and understand the game better.. just imagine if king never came here tvd would be the starter anyways.. the coaches keep prolonging the development of the youth because of the transfer portal smh

Advertisement
Explain that. I haven't heard that one.

I think it may be a factor though. I just watched one of Roman's clips from the game. That pass to Jaylan for the TD . . . King doesn't get that one off. I also think King's escapeability persuades him to run at the sense of any trouble, which leads to the perception that he can't get it off and has to "run for his life." So, yeah, there may be something there.

Years ago I saw a segment from HBO's Inside the NFL on Parcells talking about QBs. He basically went over his "rules" above and the conversation turned to QB heights. He said he wasn't in favor of drafting "short" QBs and the interviewer brought up Drew Brees. Parcells responded that while Brees was a great QB, there are far more HOF and SB winning QBs over 6'-2" than there are 6' and shorter.

I'm certainly not anti-King, he has talent and heart. To my eye test, TVD just has a better command view of the field and I attribute it, in at least some part, to his taller stature.

Last edited:
Having a QB that can threaten the defense deep with his arm is a big assist to the OL. The NC State was playing close to the LOS, but after TVD completed some deeper passes they backed off some, which helped the run game and short passing game be more effective.

Advertisement
He absolutely can. But whether Manny is here or not I think he will be advised to move on to the draft or hit the portal. We won't be able to keep Arroyo IMO if Mallory comes back. That kid is not sitting behind him another year knowing he is just as good if not better. Mallory had his chance. He blew it.

There are a few 4th-5th year guys who I have said will be advised to move on even if Manny is retained. Definitely if there is a new coaching staff.
He can stay...just run more two te sets or have Arroyo eat some of his reps mainly in the red zone. Im not a fan of him being in to block AT ALL and i never have. But Mallory can stay if he can show some improvement here on out like he somehow did last year as well when catching the ball. The depth behind Arroyo is shaky or under 6'2.

Maybe because we have a QB who can see over the OL and actually make pocket throws

Love D’Eriq King but he honesty might have been too short and scrambled too much for how this OL is capable of blocking/communicating

Advertisement
Tvd is almost a foot taller than king
That alone is a huge difference
He can actually see over the offensive line and move around in the pocket while still looking downfield
King had to scramble out the pocket cuz he couldn’t see down field

I think that’s why we have less holding calls

He can stay...just run more two te sets or have Arroyo eat some of his reps mainly in the red zone. Im not a fan of him being in to block AT ALL and i never have. But Mallory can stay if he can show some improvement here on out like he somehow did last year as well when catching the ball. The depth behind Arroyo is shaky or under 6'2.
He can stay only if he’s okay with being the #2 guy which I don’t think will jive with him. It should be Arroyos TE room next year.

No offense against King, because I love the kid. BUT, we have a guy that actually can throw NFL type throws and spread the defense. When the QB holds the ball so long like King, something is bound to break down. The ball comes out quick with TVD. Great to see!

Let's take a break from regularly scheduled programming of Mario, Blake, Manny, Blake, Mario, Manny and more Manny . . .

Is it me, or has the pass protection vastly improved as the season has progressed? I know the OL gets killed for the lack of a ground game, but IMO, they are doing a good job in pass pro. TVD had a lot of time and some nice, clean pockets to throw.
Jakai Clark

Advertisement
Back