OL Drills from 2024 Spring Practice

Ward notoriously takes a ton of sacks, and really bad sacks at that.
Van Dyke has never had a 5 sack game, let alone 6. He's a statue, but he threw ugly picks to not get sacked.
Ward throws less picks, gets sacked twice as much

Advertisement
No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce
Bow Chicka Wow Wow Love GIF by HULU

Advertisement
Advertisement
Well, guess we'll see if the vast majority of people who know about football are right...or if you are.
About him taking sacks? Do you have eyes? Read the stat sheet. Go watch him play. He runs out of bounds on a game deciding 4th down to take a sack. Imagine this board after that one.

He’s good, he’s not great or he would’ve gone pro. We’ll see how well his marriage to Mario works out. This line will greatly miss Lee’s communication

Van Dyke has never had a 5 sack game, let alone 6. He's a statue, but he threw ugly picks to not get sacked.
This is the beginning of this current conversation regarding Ward taking sacks, but I'm trying to figure out what you and DK are debating/arguing over?

If the argument is which QB hurts his team more the INT machine or the one willing to take a sack, then give me the one who protects the ball (I know Ward fumbles the ball).

This is the beginning of this current conversation regarding Ward taking sacks, but I'm trying to figure out what you and DK are debating/arguing over?

If the argument is which QB hurts his team more the INT machine or the one willing to take a sack, then give me the one who protects the ball (I know Ward fumbles the ball).
The debate is he claims Ward takes too many "bad" sacks, based on him being sacked a lot. He dismissed the fact that Ward also played behind one of the worst OLs in the P5.

Advertisement
The debate is he claims Ward takes too many "bad" sacks, based on him being sacked a lot. He dismissed the fact that Ward also played behind one of the worst OLs in the P5.
But I don't ignore the fact he played in a quick throw system, his internal clock is a mess, he takes bad sacks and fumbles, and he played against some garbage 50 SP+ and worse defenses. He doesn't throw as many picks as TVD, but clearly takes double the sacks and some are Georgia Tech "how far would you run if the clock says 0 and the game is on the line, oh, out of bounds? There too" bad

But I don't ignore the fact he played in a quick throw system, his internal clock is a mess, he takes bad sacks and fumbles, and he played against some garbage 50 SP+ and worse defenses. He doesn't throw as many picks as TVD, but clearly takes double the sacks and some are Georgia Tech "how far would you run if the clock says 0 and the game is on the line, oh, out of bounds? There too" bad
11th in the nation in 20+ yd completions, despite an OL that frequently gave him no time. Far from the narrative that he is just a quick throw QB with no internal clock. Your previous statement that if he were actually good he'd have gone to the NFL is odd as well. He declared for the draft, and only backed out last minute after getting a huge NIL deal worth more than most rookie contracts. Is he a first, or even 2nd rd NFL pick. Possibly not, but he is a definite draft pick when he goes. Many great college QBs don't end up as high rd NFL draft picks.

Advertisement
@Ironmanfootball and @dk72
What did you think about the video with the OL and LB’s going 1 on 1?
Why do I ask? Because that is what this particular thread is about.
Good point, sorry. OL looks great. That then evolved from how having a top OL will further elevate Ward's game, to a debate on Ward. I should have just cut the debate short . Looking forward to seeing the OL this season. Should be a top 10 line in the country.

I'm not very concerned about Cam taking sacks. Our OL is exponentially better than Wassu's OL. Dawson needs to coach Cam to step up in the pocket as opposed to falling away from pressure.
About him taking sacks? Do you have eyes? Read the stat sheet. Go watch him play. He runs out of bounds on a game deciding 4th down to take a sack. Imagine this board after that one.

He’s good, he’s not great or he would’ve gone pro. We’ll see how well his marriage to Mario works out. This line will greatly miss Lee’s communication
I think Ward is a very good QB who is still improving. I think that @Lance Roffers evaluation was right on point. I think we're lucky to have him.

This is only one clip, & it’s only a few minutes, BUT Carpenter ain’t Lee. Carpenter & Nino…I need to see more.
Carpenter is more of a good ACC center, as opposed to Lee who was a great ACC center.

Different body types and far different movement skills. We will see a drop in pass protection without Lee and Cohen, but most likely see an improvement in people movement in run game. Both were more finesse players and Miami is looking to be more physical.

I didn’t say better, I said more physical, to be clear.

Advertisement
Back