Okay let's run spread - what type?

You guys fail to realize that a putrid system like Penos’s puts too much stress on everyone including the QB to be perfect. The great spread OCs have taken many scrap heap QBs over the years and put up a ton of yards and points.

I completely get Penos system, scheme, playing calling worked to the weakness of his team, point taken..

I also get a good spread OC can take a average QB and attack Defensive set weakness and have success, point taken..

I also realize that if you want to take this Canes roster for 2020 and go full Air Raid or Pro-Spread with the QB's, Oline, we got then that OC has got his hands full.. I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying your asking this Oline to pass block 45 times a game and for one of the QB's to chuck it 45 times a game, or more.. The QB's and Oline are weak spots..

That's why I'm saying go to a zone blocked run first spread and try to become a decent passing team out of the spread.. The bread and butter should be inside zone runs to RBs with QB zone reads, augmented by the passing game for 2020.. Spread OC should help the Oline out with zone blocking and the QB by not asking him to chuck it 45 times a game.. Chip Kelly, Ric Rod, Mullens, ect, some type of very run productive spread that creates space and attacks WTF the D is giving you.. Pound the rock 45 times and chuck it 25, protect the Oline with the zone block scheme, and set up your passes so the Oline is helped out since it sucks *** at pass blocking..

Recruit some stud Oline guys, get a Prime QB and transition into Pro-Style spread over a couple years.. You can still run some Pro-Spread plays 1st year mixed in, but you can't live by it, the Oline can't give the time needed..

This team was so corched up it's crazy to think in one year some OC is gonna come in here and run Pro-Spread like LSU.. it's a bad *** system, but it's complex and needs a Prime QB.. Tell you what if Brady comes home and makes Pro-Spread work next year with TVD or JW then I'll stand punked and corrected.. Canes aint got the WR's, Oline, or QB that LSU has, plus it's the most complex spread to learn to execute.. With this roster I just see any pass heavy spread struggling and Defenses will eat up what is the worst freking pass blocking Oline I ever seen.. I mean I'm freaking pushing 50 and I could have run that inside stunt untouched for La Tech and gotten pressure, it's that bad..

Advertisement
What did Baylor run? I loved that offense

But also like Clemson/OSUs offense that seems to have tremendous balance and I feel don’t need premier oline talent

Briles would run power if you only had 5 in the box and he would kill you with it.. But he also had QB's in his system and WR's so he could air it out on you.. in time you want that at the U, but right now there is no RG3 or Boykin on the Canes roster

Below is an awesome article that outlines four different schools of spread offenses and gives examples of each. When we say we want to go to an "up tempo spread" offense, let's think about whose offense we'd most like to emulate. Personally I like the "pro-spread" of LSU and the Chiefs/Rams, but if you have some time to browse the article, it'd be cool to get some consensus from the board.

Now you are just nitpicking

Advertisement
For 2020 I think the most effective and easily installed might be a Malzahn-esque, inside zone based spread (Lashlee?)

Absolutely agree with this. I was shocked the author devoted so little time (if any?) to the Auburn version. Malzahn gets the most out of basic gut running plays that are cleansed and cleared via tempo and window dressing. That power type of spread also doesn't place such a premium on a dominant quarterback. He has had some truly forgettable throwers back there.

But it needs to be a system that can rotate seamlessly into other sets including pro set based on situational requirement. Don't be stubborn. Alabama was really good at this during McElwain's tenure. That can be studied along with some of Lincoln Riley's downfield concepts.

I noticed the Mile Leach throw-every-play version was rightfully absent. Funny, because if this identical thread had been posted a few days ago you would have one post after another asking what about Leach and clamoring for Leach style.

Advertisement
Q: Tate Martell
Peyton Matocha
Ty Van Dyke

R: Cam Harris
Don Chaney
Lorenzo Lingard

H: Brevin Jordan
Will Mallory
Larry Hodges

Y: Jaylan Knighton
Xavier Restrepo
Marshall Few

Z: Mike Harley
Mark Pope
Michael Redding

X: Dee Wiggins
Jeremiah Payton
Diaz Worsham

Last edited:
Advertisement
Briles would run power if you only had 5 in the box and he would kill you with it.. But he also had QB's in his system and WR's so he could air it out on you.. in time you want that at the U, but right now there is no RG3 or Boykin on the Canes roster
Briles put up numbers with a lot of QBs not named Robert Griffin. He put 600 yards on UNC with his 4th string QB who happened to be one of his WRs.

Urban Meyer Spread when he was at florida. They were running it down people throat, hanging 50 mofos.

Advertisement
Briles put up numbers with a lot of QBs not named Robert Griffin. He put 600 yards on UNC with his 4th string QB who happened to be one of his WRs.

Yes but Briles didn't do that to UNC his first year taking over the one of biggest suck *** Olines in college football did he now? Once Briles had his system in place with depth it was plug in and play the next man up, but that's not year one

Yes but Briles didn't do that to UNC his first year taking over the one of biggest suck *** Olines in college football did he now? Once Briles had his system in place with depth it was plug in and play the next man up, but that's not year one
You saw the part where I told you he used his 4th or 5th string QB to destroy UNC right? The guy who was playing WR the prior week? You gonna just gloss over that like it doesn’t matter?

Briles also took a horrific Houston program and toyed with what, at the time, was a very powerful Miami program. And he did it in his first year there.

Dude, you’re trying too hard with this OL and QB stuff. Get the right OC in here, and there’s plenty of players to make the system work a whole fck of a lot better than the last one.

You saw the part where I told you he used his 4th or 5th string QB to destroy UNC right? The guy who was playing WR the prior week? You gonna just gloss over that like it doesn’t matter?

Briles also took a horrific Houston program and toyed with what, at the time, was a very powerful Miami program. And he did it in his first year there.

Dude, you’re trying too hard with this OL and QB stuff. Get the right OC in here, and there’s plenty of players to make the system work a whole fck of a lot better than the last one.

My man I agree Briles was fckin genius pimp play calling witch.. I'm not saying a quality spread OC is gonna be worse than Penos, far fckin from it..

I'm saying realistic expectations for the current roster would be a run first, pass second spread for next year.. Bring in Briles, Brady, Yost, any dam good spread guy and I bet you a dollar to a donut next year with the 2020 roster he will be more run heavy than pass with the spread.. 2021 get some better QB, Oline and you can open it up more..

It's wishful thinking gonna run Pro-Spread **** like LSU next year with TVD, Tate, JW or Perry and this Oline.. That's pass heavy ****, deeper routes, more progressions for these OB's, harder throws, and time for the Oline to block..

good spread OC's tweak the run/pass balance depending on the personal they have year to year.. if they be breaking a new starting QB in and have Vet back, line they gonna run more.. they got 3rd year QB who is All Conference and deep WR's they gonna throw more.. spread lets you adapt to use your strengths,

Advertisement
Back