Okay let's run spread - what type?

Advertisement
very good article. I kinda hate watching spread teams because I like power run and play action from under center, but the truth is, like the guy said:

Pro style concepts are the most effective, but also the most complicated and require absolute execution.

Blocking for spread teams is unbelievably simple, so are the reads for the QBs... I guess thats the way we gotta go.

Personally, I loved what I saw from LSU yesterday, if we could do something along those lines I would be happy.

I want the power spread. I believe Florida runs this too. I believe it is relatively simple, utilizes the talent Miami can actually recruit and can score points and/or control the clock.

I want a spread offense that is simple for the quarterbacks, can run in short yardage, features the RPO, and read option, and tries to outnumber the defense at the point of attack.

yep, Dan Mullen type spread and Tate can run it, it fits him.. should have jumped on QB Jack Spears out of the transfer portal.. So Cal kid, he hasn't stated classes at San D. State but has filed some paper work.. I think he can still be flipped before he is enrolled and in class.. Sorta same deal Devin Williams did from OSU to Ducks at 11th hour.. 6'3" and 205 and he like to run at SC

Advertisement
I have forever thought if you had an Air Raid offense with a great defense, you could mimic today's version of Spurrier ball. I dont know why every air raid team has a terrible defense, but they do

Sometimes it gets used as a cliche or excuse but there is some truth to the idea that a lot of those true quick strike air raid offenses score so quickly that it does put added pressure on the defense over time.

We need pace. You know who struggles to rush the passer? Guys who can't breathe and have their hands on their hips.

Our OL isn't good. We should be open to bringing in more QBs that can run, especially given our recruiting area. Designed QB runs with the RB as an extra blocker to help in the run game.

More space on the field. Wider splits. Exhaust the defense with both pace and the distance they're forced to cover. Also helps to get our speed in better situations where they are faced with less defenders in an area.

Something with some intelligence. Penos was a fuggin caveman smashing a rock against his head. A bright guy capable of adjusting in-game to what the defense is doing and what's working or not working, instead of being a low IQ dipshlt who brings in a rigid game plan no matter what's happening on the field.

Variety in play calls. We ran the same two WR screens all year. There are many ways to attack a defense or manufacture the equivalent of a run game through screens and quick passes.

An OC that knows to laminate his play sheet so it doesn't melt in the rain

I think it is important to understand the nuances between them also. Leach runs pure Air raid, which gets called pro spread. But he doesn’t run the ball much and relies on quick screens and shovel passes to fill that roll for him. Kingsbury is a purest as well but has done a great job in the run game this year.
Lincoln Reilly is an air raid guy too, but works everything off of a GT counter. I think it is worth noting, what is the go to play. IZ, OZ, power, vertical passing. I think knowing this gives insight into what the offence is going to look like.

Per this article at least, Clemson is running more of a smashmouth spread or power spread when they go deep. Personally if I had unlimited control of the offense I'd want to run what Greg Roman is running in Baltimore. 3 TE, 3 RB, power/option spread that opens up huge windows in the pass game. Thinking of our recruiting base and the types of QBs bred in South Florida (along with still being TE and RB U) I'd love to see it. Failing that, give me pro-spread, move the pieces around and exploit those mismatches all day long.

Understand what you are saying but we cant recruit the OL for that....would need 6-7 TEs on the roster....that can block. Plus you have to get specific QB to run that system. I would prefer more passing than that. More like clemson/Oklahoma. What baltimore runs is more like what Briles ran at Baylor....but if you go look at how many times their QBs got hurt for the season or multiple games, we would need multiple capable QBs each season

Advertisement
We need pace. You know who struggles to rush the passer? Guys who can't breathe and have their hands on their hips.

Our OL isn't good. We should be open to bringing in more QBs that can run, especially given our recruiting area. Designed QB runs with the RB as an extra blocker to help in the run game.

More space on the field. Wider splits. Exhaust the defense with both pace and the distance they're forced to cover. Also helps to get our speed in better situations where they are faced with less defenders in an area.

Something with some intelligence. Penos was a fuggin caveman smashing a rock against his head. A bright guy capable of adjusting in-game to what the defense is doing and what's working or not working, instead of being a low IQ dipshlt who brings in a rigid game plan no matter what's happening on the field.

Variety in play calls. We ran the same two WR screens all year. There are many ways to attack a defense or manufacture the equivalent of a run game through screens and quick passes.

An OC that knows to laminate his play sheet so it doesn't melt in the rain
Good post. We really need to run a system that takes into account the type of players we get and can get, especially on the OL.

Advertisement
I want the team to have the ability to run a very fast paced offense when they want to. I absolutely do not want the team to run an offense built around pace as the focal point and philosophy like Chip Kelly did. I don’t want an offense that when it goes 3 and out takes 29 seconds off the clock and then goes out and scores 7 points the next drive in 40 seconds.

Fast pace as the only focus is great until fans realize the team might be running a handful of very simple plays really fast and relying on mental mistakes by the defense. With enough game film against a defense that actually is athletic and plays their assignments these “80 plays a game offense” become defense gassers that keep feeding the other team the ball. Running pace with a game plan geared towards an opponent and constant variation would work. Just pure pace is nonsense. I don’t want to see receivers lining up backwards like FSU because “pace bro!”.

The great thing about this discussion is that there are now so many variations of "spread" being run by so many coaches that we have an opportunity to really tailor the offense to our natural advantages. The dangerous thing of course is that there are so many variations that the wrong fit will set us back yet again...

Advertisement
I want the team to have the ability to run a very fast paced offense when they want to. I absolutely do not want the team to run an offense built around pace as the focal point and philosophy like Chip Kelly did. I don’t want an offense that when it goes 3 and out takes 29 seconds off the clock and then goes out and scores 7 points the next drive in 40 seconds.

Fast pace as the only focus is great until fans realize the team might be running a handful of very simple plays really fast and relying on mental mistakes by the defense. With enough game film against a defense that actually is athletic and plays their assignments these “80 plays a game offense” become defense gassers that keep feeding the other team the ball. Running pace with a game plan geared towards an opponent and constant variation would work. Just pure pace is nonsense. I don’t want to see receivers lining up backwards like FSU because “pace bro!”.

Definitely some truth here. I think there's an intelligent middle ground between a Babers-style 90 plays/game, 65-63 final score and the 40-50 plays/game we were limping to. Gimme an average of 70 and be able to still go ball control when you need to.

Advertisement
Back