Okay let's run spread - what type?

The one thing about any power or smashmouth spread philosophy is the run game revolves around power concepts (duh) - lots of pulling and counters. This is awesome but there would definitely be a steeper learning/recruiting curve for our OL than a more zone-based spread. Just a thought.

Advertisement
very good article. I kinda hate watching spread teams because I like power run and play action from under center, but the truth is, like the guy said:

Pro style concepts are the most effective, but also the most complicated and require absolute execution.

Blocking for spread teams is unbelievably simple, so are the reads for the QBs... I guess thats the way we gotta go.

Personally, I loved what I saw from LSU yesterday, if we could do something along those lines I would be happy.

Half the veer based spreads run power concepts just out of modern formations.

The one thing about any power or smashmouth spread philosophy is the run game revolves around power concepts (duh) - lots of pulling and counters. This is awesome but there would definitely be a steeper learning/recruiting curve for our OL than a more zone-based spread. Just a thought.
Enos tried to run the pull and pin run concepts. Didn’t look good.

Advertisement
Enos tried to run the pull and pin run concepts. Didn’t look good.

They look great when you've got the OL to run it. Personally I'd love to see us use a more quick pass/zone blocking spread next year and if the OC (or new HC) is worth anything, see it gradually incorporate more power concepts as the OL gets more comfortable, or as we start recruiting more for that scheme.

Enos biggest flaw was the tempo of the game, we never showed a bit of urgency and clock management was horrendous. We took so much time between plays that defenses had weeks to setup their schemes. The plays were not terrific but an uptempo would've benefited us.

Our halftime adjustments were nil.

Manny has to account for your QB's on roster when making switch to spread OC.. What QB's are your Air Raid guys? TVD seems to be the only guy you want throwing the ball 40-50 times a game and that's lot to put on a True Frosh.. Unless you got a Air Raid OC with a transfer QB who fits then it's the wrong style and hire just from that stand point.. KJ Costello is a Pro Style guy who you could throw into the Air Raid, Do you guys want Perry, Tate or JW running Air Raid?

It has to be a run heavy spread type, that uses TE in passes type OC hire if your going spread.. Then you have Tate who it fits, you get a sleeper HS Dual Threat QB in the late period, and you try to flip Jack Sears who is 2020 eligible from San D State before he starts classes on Jan 21st.. Any other 2020 eligible transfers you can pick from are 3 star kids..

“What’s spread? Shotgun, QB runs? We do that. Systems don’t win Championships”
Thank god that doofus is gone.

Advertisement
I don’t want a QB that goes through the motions on the roster. I’d honestly rather have the one taking mental health breaks, because he took those away from the team vs. taking them while under center and during game prep.

Optimally, 2015 Texas Tech.

4500+ Passer. 1400+ yard rusher. 83 plays a game.

High Tempo. Aggressive. Utilized short passing game with option routes.

Eric Morris. David Yost. Sonny Cumbie. Doug Meechum. Rhett Lashlee.

That's a **** of a staff.

Advertisement
tempo and spacing...these are keys. If we could teach and implement just those two things, we would already look better than what we have looked like.
Rewatch the LSU game and watch the spacing...watch where the WRs line up...look how they mix it up too...very very hard to defend.

Optimally, 2015 Texas Tech.

4500+ Passer. 1400+ yard rusher. 83 plays a game.

High Tempo. Aggressive. Utilized short passing game with option routes.

Eric Morris. David Yost. Sonny Cumbie. Doug Meechum. Rhett Lashlee.

Back in reality for 2020, who the **** is gonna be the Air Raid QB? Not Patrick Mohomes, and no one on the roster makes a pimple on his ***!!

reality is a Mullens type run first spread that best case gets you a good 250 plus yards a game on the ground and you scrape up close to another 200 yards per game thru the air.. that's around 450 yards a game give or take, and gets you close to a top 40 Offense.. Manny hire an OC that can get you in that ballpark and it's a amazing one year turn around..

Then you can build off that and work to a larger pass component spread in the years to come..

Advertisement
Honestly if he weren't an emotional cripple I think Jarren Williams has the skillset to be an effective "just throw it here and profit" air raid QB. He's got the accuracy and release to shred a defense, but I wouldn't trust him any farther than he could fall forward at this point sadly.

Great article. Most informative piece I’ve ever seen shared on this site...

The goal is to run the LSU type pro-spread but we absolutely do not have the talent to do it. QB still needs to properly identify the matchups, OL needs to be good and WR’s need to be unselfish.

I like the option spread or the power spread. Im thinking this should be enticing to Diaz because it helps control the pace of the game and keep the defense fresh, unlike a Leach system.

They look great when you've got the OL to run it. Personally I'd love to see us use a more quick pass/zone blocking spread next year and if the OC (or new HC) is worth anything, see it gradually incorporate more power concepts as the OL gets more comfortable, or as we start recruiting more for that scheme.
Agree. We had too much thrown at a green line this year IMO.

JW as his Air Raid QB with his new Raid OC hire sounds like the stupid play Manny will make and waste another year.. The smart and safe play is a zone block run first spread that uses your RB's, don't ask the QB's to be a star.. intermediate passing game with good spacing that uses the TE's.. that's using your personal strengths and best recipe for positive result to move the O forward..

it's the only realistic play man, rome wasn't built in a day..

USC went Air Raid with Harrel but they had JT Daniels 5 star QB in the 2019 class who reclassified into the 2018 class as a returning starter.. Jack Sears, and Matt Fink were 4 star San Clemente or Rancho kids, and Solvis the 3 star had Kurt Freking Warner as his private QB coach working with him...

Advertisement
Back