Ok. Not a thread for stadium deniers

I still visit the Real Cane Talk boards from where us canesport members mutineed against Gary Vermin and I found a thread we had on the “Vortex”. There were some really great posts on there, some of which even prophetic. Some excerpts:

Hurricaneu45 (12/9/2011): “There is only 1 spot on campus that can fit a stadium.... but odly enough nobody has ever brought it up on this board.
Its the spot pictured below, to the North East of Mohoney Pearson there is a piece of land that appears to be outside of campus, but it's actually owned by the University of Miami.
Part of the land is home to the Henry S. West Laboratory which is run by the University's school of education (Its in miami dade public school district), the land is on the other side of Carillo St is ALSO owned by the University.

I know it sounds a little crazy, but this is the ONLY spot that would work; the elementary school would have to be relocated somewhere within the campus, but the size of the land can be our home. In this other image below we can see approximate dimensions.

At the narrowest point we have 606Ft... at the widest point 860ft..
Length-wise we have more than enough with 790 feet at its shortest point and over 1200 feet at the longest point... Therfore we have a space of ATLEAST 606' by 790'

To give you some kind of a comparison, the footprint for the Tulane Stadium is 540 ft X 725ft.
We can most definitely have some thing Like SMU Stadium which is on a footprint of 600' x 700'... We can do this ON CAMPUS..

Bottom line fellas, IT CAN BE DONE.... now whether this is a better option than Tropical Park, I'm not sure.. the logistics of parking/tailgating/pre-game environment with the involvemnt of the City of Coral Gables makes me wonder a bit about the on-campus stadium.. regardless it can be done.. no doubt about it.
I want to hear your thoughts”

View attachment 167778
We're getting the big bucks... dude let's go!
1639451768945.png

Advertisement
If they do a 50K stadium we'll end up playing 2 games a year at Hard Rock. Those games will be the most important ones and the players wont feel like they're playing a home game. It'll feel more like a neutral site game.

Exactly. 50k would be one of the smallest in FBS

We're getting the big bucks... dude let's go!
View attachment 167781

I've always thought this spot would make some sense whenever I drive by it, at least space wise. Logistically it would probably be a nightmare because there's only two small streets that service the spot. It would have to be a situation like UT's stadium, where there's really no tailgating space, but worse because UM has a fraction of the students.

But enough negativity, on to the prompt: I'd second all the amenities and sound-amplifying covering. I'd add one thing I think made the old OB extremely formidable: how close the first row of seats were to the field. They were lower than most NFL stadiums and way closer. In a Hard Rock noise atmosphere that would be a downright awful place to play as a visiting team.

I've always thought this spot would make some sense whenever I drive by it, at least space wise. Logistically it would probably be a nightmare because there's only two small streets that service the spot. It would have to be a situation like UT's stadium, where there's really no tailgating space, but worse because UM has a fraction of the students.

But enough negativity, on to the prompt: I'd second all the amenities and sound-amplifying covering. I'd add one thing I think made the old OB extremely formidable: how close the first row of seats were to the field. They were lower than most NFL stadiums and way closer. In a Hard Rock noise atmosphere that would be a downright awful place to play as a visiting team.
As much as I want a Canes stadium centrally located closer to campus, the land around the U doesn't have necessary highway access. Using the Metrorail could easy the problem but I don't know if it's enough. There are other locations that could be considered, those have been discussed here plenty.
All I know is that the Broward contingent is always gonna neg any suggestion for a move out of JRS... but it seems that more than ever the reality of a Hurricane Stadium may happen after all... and then the U can put some $$ in a Canes bank, not in Ross' accounts.

As much as I want a Canes stadium centrally located closer to campus, the land around the U doesn't have necessary highway access. Using the Metrorail could easy the problem but I don't know if it's enough. There are other locations that could be considered, those have been discussed here plenty.
All I know is that the Broward contingent is always gonna neg any suggestion for a move out of JRS... but it seems that more than ever the reality of a Hurricane Stadium may happen after all... and then the U can put some $$ in a Canes bank, not in Ross' accounts.
I'll go to games wherever the Canes play but this fallacy that building a stadium creates some panacea of money is laughable. You can add stadium to the old adage if it flies, floats, or ***** its better to rent than own.

Advertisement
It doesn’t “have to be”. That’s why I asked. Soooo, i have you down as a no?
Let me tell you that it will be a state-of-the-art stadium and something everyone will be proud of. No bleachers, no uncushioned seats, and it will be privately founded so no funds from the city.

An updated state of the art replica is fine. I want a museum inside the stadium dedicated to UM Football’s great history. Have a movie or theatre room that visitors can sit in and watch videos dedicated to the program. Memorable plays like the wide rights etc. considering the storied history of the program, the possibilities are ENDLESS

Cant put stuff like that in HRS.
This x 1000
The Hecht is a **** disgrace to the blood sweat and tears of the former players.
Having 5 titles and heisman trophies bunched up together in the same small area with all the other sports awards is a **** joke.
If we had a stadium where the canes are the primary venue then you better **** well deck that place out with our history, legendary and iconic players.

I say throw caution to the wind and have a stadium on key biscayne with an open west end zone that overlooks the skyline.

Have the stadium visit right before dinner at the rusty pelican.

I'll go to games wherever the Canes play but this fallacy that building a stadium creates some panacea of money is laughable. You can add stadium to the old adage if it flies, floats, or ***** its better to rent than own.
So it’s better to rent than own... so Joe Robbie rented his stadium. So I should sell my house and tent from now on. I know that there is more than one big player that feels that they can help the U have it’s own stadium without breaking the schools budget... I’m sure they are working on this issue as we debate whether to stay or to give Mr. Ross a well deserved middle finger.
BTW...
Broward County doesn’t own Canes football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. It’s not gonna happen. We get it. You’re the smart ones who think it through while everyone is a sucker. Cool. But for those who will hold out some hope for it to actually happen are you down with an OB replica or do you want something totally different? Stadium deniers can play too. Just pretend they announced a site and budget for a new stadium. Mark me down as an OB replica. I will never, ever, ever let the memories of that place leave me and if we can replicate that at even 50% I’m good.
Nah, there could only be one OB. Would be nice if it had some features that paid homage to the old girl, though.

nothing is happening on campus or in coral gables, the quicker you accept that the better you can move on to realistic options

The only real option is Tropical - 5 minutes from campus and Accessible by Bird and Miller road both major boulevards that can handle traffic as well as Sitting along the 826 allowing people form North and South easy access. Yes they will need to build an On Ramp from tropical to exit post game. but still, the infrastructure is there already.

parking - you are already starting with 5 massive lots before even having to get creative or use grass areas surrounding the stadium. I will upload a photo showing this after this post.

payment - if being privately funded we should be in clear. Problems we had in past with tropical site was we were asking for county and tax payer money. Not anymore.

The Tropical Park idea is at least doable. I also believe that the Marlins will be gone in a few years so there’s always a chance that stadium could get redone for football.

Advertisement
Duke, Wake Forest, and I believe BC all have stadiums with a smaller capacity.

We aren’t building a new stadium anyway
I've had the opportunity to speak with the Ruiz family on this and I'm going to say that the stadium is happening and there's no doubt about it. They are currently narrowing down the sites to three prime locations and I will mention those sites when that decision takes place. The capacity of the stadium will depend on the site and what the location is limited to.

2 Demands...
1, Palm trees at the back of endzone area
2, shade and air for fans
The stadium will be designed with a roof and the firm they are working with built the Rams SOFI stadium and the Dallas COWBOYS stadium as well so believe me they are swinging for the fences with this one.

Advertisement
Back