Ohio State v Michigan thread

Watch the Michigan offense and you will see what Mario expects to do at Miami. Overpowering Oline which eventually wears teams down and an opportunistic passing offense. Mario thought he had the architect of this offense, Gattis, but the architect is Harbaugh.
This si the style of offense Mario will run. And FYI, it can score a lot of points when executed.
Here we go again.

Advertisement
I had to laugh during the 2nd half thinking about the Gameday crew slobbering all over the Buckeyes, how Stroud was going to run all over Michigan, OSU was too fast for UM, blah blah blah...GOOO BLUE! I can’t stand OSU and love that they got their asses handed to them. The second half takeover was a thing of beauty.

Watch the Michigan offense and you will see what Mario expects to do at Miami. Overpowering Oline which eventually wears teams down and an opportunistic passing offense. Mario thought he had the architect of this offense, Gattis, but the architect is Harbaugh.
This si the style of offense Mario will run. And FYI, it can score a lot of points when executed.
but it will never do more with less like other systems are capable of. you are what your talent level is with that system. Mario can sell dreams this year, but it’s going to be hard to get the players needed for that system to work next year when we go 5-7 with the 80th ranked offense.

After watching this game, its clear to see how far our offensive line is from both of these teams, especially Michigan. Michigan's center looks way bigger than our biggest lineman lol. They are all giant human being, super athletic, and can completely transform their offense
Both lines bigger and definitely a lot stronger.

How about our WRs compared to OSU's? Would any of our starters even make the three deep there?

Advertisement
Serious question, someone that’s a real football savant explain it to me. How does Michigan with a terrible QB beat OSU two years in a row that have a high powered offense?
Two things:

Michigan’s QB isn’t terrible. He was a 5 star recruit. He just didn’t start as a freshman last year.

The guy who played quarterback when they beat OSU last year has only played in 3 games this year and attempted just 25 passes.

Both lines bigger and definitely a lot stronger.

How about our WRs compared to OSU's? Would any of our starters even make the three deep there?
I mean Young would be a 5th string wr on OSU. Harrison, smith njigba, Egbuka are future first rounder. Fleming and Johnson are both very good as well. OSu's front 7 is legit as well. The only guy on our roster that would start on OSU us Kitchens. Potentially Jackson and Mesidor.

UGA won last year with that style of play.
It wasn’t their offense that won them the title though. They had the good fortune of playing Alabama without their two 1,000 yard receivers in the CFP championship game. When they played a healthy Alabama team, they got run out of the building.

Two things:

Michigan’s QB isn’t terrible. He was a 5 star recruit. He just didn’t start as a freshman last year.

The guy who played quarterback when they beat OSU last year has only played in 3 games this year and attempted just 25 passes.
OSU fans have been making fun of McCarthy all year calling him the worst QB in the BIG10...LOL

Advertisement
I mean he isnt wrong. This is the exact offense he ran at Oregon, and its why he hired Gattis. We dont have the bodies on offensive line to run this style
Did you even watch the game?

This isn’t the same offense Mario had at Oregon at all.

Michigan only had 4 rushing yards at the half. They killed Taint with long pass plays, and began the 2nd half with more big pass plays. When OSU finally decided to double receivers on the outside, it left less people in the box to stop the run. Michigan’s rushing yards mostly came in the 4th quarter, when they had runs of 75 and 85 yards. Up to that point they only had 47 yards rushing for the entirety of the game.

You guys have to quit pushing this false narrative.

Michigan usually runs the ball down people’s throats. But against an elite team like Taint, they had to be able to attack downfield, which they did. All of the analysts on the FOX desk said that the key to the game would be Michigan being able to complete big pass plays against 1-on-1 coverage, which they did.

They passed first and were effective in the run game after they had eaten up the OSU defense through the air.

Did you even watch the game?

This isn’t the same offense Mario had at Oregon at all.

Michigan only had 4 rushing yards at the half. They killed Taint with long pass plays, and began the 2nd half with more big pass plays. When OSU finally decided to double receivers on the outside, it left less people in the box to stop the run. Michigan’s rushing yards mostly came in the 4th quarter, when they had runs of 75 and 85 yards. Up to that point they only had 47 yards rushing for the entirety of the game.

You guys have to quit pushing this false narrative.

Michigan usually runs the ball down people’s throats. But against an elite team like Taint, they had to be able to attack downfield, which they did. All of the analysts on the FOX desk said that the key to the game would be Michigan being able to complete big pass plays against 1-on-1 coverage, which they did.

They passed first and were effective in the run game after they had eaten up the OSU defense through the air.
You literally just proved all our points lol. Michigan likes o run the ball down peoples throats. That's Mario's philosophy.

Just stating my opinion, I don’t believe he is elite. Joe shmo can win 10-11 games a year at OSU with the talent that guy has. The only measurable that matters is Championships and I don’t see it with him. I could be wrong, I just don’t believe that I am.
If it was so incredibly easy, schools like Alabama, Florida, FSU, Texas and SC wouldn't go DECADES between runs. They are all huge state schools(Except USC) with huge and dedicated alumni/donor bases. Ohio State has had a run of success, throughout multiple coaches that they hit on. They've managed to not hire a mediocre coach for the better part of 4 decades. The last "Mediocre" coach they had was Earle Bruce. Earle Bruce last coached in Columbus in the late 80s. In other words, there are people in their early to mid 30s that have not known anything other than Ohio State having high end head coaches. That's insane, especially knowing that they have had MULTIPLE coaches in that span. Most programs that have a run like that, usually have one coach that stays forever, ala FSU or Penn State.

That said, all it takes is one or two stupid hires and you'll be in the wilderness. I'm not shocked that there are some spoiled OSU fans out there, they haven't experienced failure on a massive scale, especially those under the age of 50 or so. They literally went from Woody Hayes, to Bruce, and then to this run of solid, HOF level coaches.

Last edited:
If it was so incredibly easy, schools like Alabama, Florida, FSU, Texas and SC wouldn't go DECADES between runs. They are all huge state schools with huge and dedicated alumni/donor bases. Ohio State has had a run of success, throughout multiple coaches that they hit on. They've managed to not hire a mediocre coach for the better part of 4 decades. The last "Mediocre" coach they had was Earle Bruce. Earle Bruce last coached in Columbus in the late 80s. In other words, there are people in their early to mid 30s that have not known anything other than Ohio State having high end head coaches. That's insane, especially knowing that they have had MULTIPLE coaches in that span. Most programs that have a run like that, usually have one coach that stays forever, ala FSU or Penn State.

That said, all it takes is one or two stupid hires and you'll be in the wilderness. I'm not shocked that there are some spoiled OSU fans out there, they haven't experienced failure on a massive scale, especially those under the age of 50 or so. They literally went from Woody Hayes, to Bruce, and then to this run of solid, HOF level coaches.
Cool, I’m just saying to me Day isn’t it as far as a championship coach.

Advertisement
You literally just proved all our points lol. Michigan likes o run the ball down peoples throats. That's Mario's philosophy.
Michigan is a B1G team. That approach will never work here. They batter lesser opponents weekly and have 1 tough game every season against OSU. Same goes for OSU. They are 1 and 2 in point differential in the entire FBS.

The point of my post is that they had to pass the ball today in order to set up the run, which is a fact, so I didn’t prove your point.

Also, Mario isn’t Harbaugh. Any of you that dares make that comparison is delusional. Harbaugh has taken a team to a Super Bowl and had way more success than Mario. He also changed his offense and defense 2 seasons ago, and it’s why he hired co-OC’s last season. Gattis was only OC in title last season. He wasn’t allowed to call plays. It’s also why Harbaugh let Gattis walk.

If Mario doesn’t evolve, he will fail miserably here. You can live in your bubble of fairies and unicorns, but the proof is in the pudding.

Last edited:
To be fear, everyone said that about Smart. Day just needs to make some adjustments to his staff and learn how to beat Michigan. From a talent level, OSU looked significantly better. They easily could have been up three touchdowns in that first half. Michigan just dominated both lines of scrimmage in the second half and took advantage of OSu's mistakes

but it will never do more with less like other systems are capable of. you are what your talent level is with that system. Mario can sell dreams this year, but it’s going to be hard to get the players needed for that system to work next year when we go 5-7 with the 80th ranked offense.
Look it took Harbaugh 7 seasons to beat OSU. And Harbaugh had to undo years of Rich Rod’s recruting at Michigan. Michigan people wanted to run him out of town after year 4, 5 and 6. And then harbaugh was interviewing for the Vikings job the day before National Signing Day and would have taken the job if offered.
And Michigan still stood behind him and it is all paying off.
translation:
Mario will need years to get his team on the field as upperclassmen; literally 3 more seasons. But if we have the patience, once the talent level is high, and it will be, then the rewards re greater than the 8-4/9-3 that Lane, Leach and a host of others will deliver.
Patience will be a virtue and explains an 8 year contract. Mario sold UM on the vision I just outlined.

Advertisement
Michigan is a B1G team. That approach will never work here. They batter lesser opponents weekly and have 1 tough game every season against OSU. Same goes for OSU. They are 1 and 2 in point differential in the entire FBS.

The point of my post is that they had to pass the ball today in order to set up the run, which is a fact, so I didn’t prove your point.

Also, Mario isn’t Harbaugh. Any of you that dares make that comparison is delusional. Harbaugh has taken a team to a Super Bowl and had way more success than Mario. He also changed his offense and defense 2 seasons ago, and it’s why he hired co-OC’s last season. Gattis was only OC in title last season. He wasn’t allowed to call plays. I’m TD also why Harbaugh let Gattis walk.

If Mario doesn’t evolve, he will fail miserably here. You can live in your bubble of fairies and unicorns, but the proof is in the pudding.
You think a system that just put up 43 on OSU wouldn’t succeed in the ACC?

That's fine, but no rational AD is going to fire someone as successful as Day, because "They aren't a championship coach", knowing full well that you can be VERY SUCCESSFUL, and not win a title, while mediocre idiots can get lucky. Remember the following: Ed Orgeron, Jimbo Fisher and Gene Chizik won titles earlier in their head coaching careers than Tom Osborne, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden and Jimmy Johnson. Bo Schembechler doesn't have a ring, but Larry Coker does. A lot of things have to go right for a coach to win once, there are few Nick Saban, Urban Meyer types out there. Even a guy like Dabo had to knock on that door for YEARS before he finally broke through.

Will Day get there? Who knows, but he's knocking on the door regularly, and honestly, if you are an AD, that's all you can ask for. If you are going 11-1 year after year, it's more likely that you'll eventually there.

Advertisement
Back