Offseason OT: All time starting 11

My eyes, my starting 22 (from age 12, 1983 season)
QB: Kosar (Moxie and brains)
RB: Edge, McGahee
TE: B Jordan (I'm gambling here. He is already top ten and climbing fast. Yeah, I'm including his recruiting chops)
WR: Irvin, A Johnson
OT: McKinnie, Searcy
OG: Sullivan, Mercier (if Barry can get Donaldson to reach his potential, you could see his name here after his time is done at the U)
C: Romberg
DE: Stubbs, Medearis
DT: Brown, Kennedy
OLB: D Smith, Vilma (top MLB I can slide to the outside speed-wise)
MLB: D Morgan (4 great options, I loaned one to OLB)
CB: McNeil
S: Blades, Reed, Taylor (solved that problem! ST can cover WRs)
K: Huerta
P: Bosher (never saw a kicker tackle better on special teams; Touchdown saver!)
KR: K Williams
PR: Hester

Advertisement
JMO, I think lists like this ( which as a writer, I love, BTW) should be done by era's, I do think if you go all-time, as it relates to UM, guys like Jim Kelly (IMO, the guy who is really lead to 'the U' being 'the U') and Ted Hendricks (perhaps the most decorated player in Miami history) are two guys that absolutely have to be on the list.'

We did a CIS draft back in like 2012 and it was amazing the teams we came up with( I was one of the people involved)

I think Miami's all-time college team ranks up there with anybody, alongside the likes of USC and Pitt(yeah, Pitt)
k9, the staff should do the draft again for #TNM or at least to keep the energy going over the summer!

TE: B Jordan (I'm gambling here. He is already top ten and climbing fast. Yeah, I'm including his recruiting chops)
OG: Sullivan, Mercier (if Barry can get Donaldson to reach his potential, you could see his name here after his time is done at the U)

Love your team, HOWEVER!! I must ask you this - are you sure about Eddie Brown not being one of your starting WR's. Ive talked to a few guys from that era who were on those teams and they would fight you if 40 wasn't listed, lol. Fast Eddie was an absolute game breaker

also, when Ray Lewis isn't on your all-time UM team, it shows how much talent has come through Coral Gables. Or Warren Sapp- two Hall of Famers.

And the fact that Darryl Williams, a personal favorite of mine, wont be listed by anyone, shows you how deep Miami has been. In many other programs, that guy is THE safety.

Last edited:
k9, the staff should do the draft again for #TNM or at least to keep the energy going over the summer!

Bomber, Im actually thinking of doing an article(if DMoney would allow it) where I do my all-time Miami roster of 85, going position by position, with the approximate number of 'scholarships' at each spot, like a modern day squad

Don't agree! Although you have named some of the all-time greats, many players have been left out that were better than some of the ones in the list (e.g. Jerome Brown, Warren Sapp, Rubin Carter, Ted Hendricks, Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly, Vinny Testaverde, K C Jones, Ray Lewis, Frank Gore, Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, O J Anderson, Chuck Foreman, Michael Irvin, George Mira, etc., etc.). I would suggest that you break it down by decade or era (e.g. before 1960, 1961-1978, 1979-1988, 1989-1998, 1999-2005, 2006-2018).

AMEN!!

It's ALWAYS hard arguing who are the best ever Canes. Suffice it to say, any list that anyone develops can rightly be argued against.

I must say this, although its a good list as any , I found the inclusion of Joe Jackson and Willis on there particularly amusing.

Placing them above others like Hendricks ,Sapp and several others who ALWAYS had 2-3 or more opposition players dedicated to neutralizing them speaks volumes.

Advertisement
I'm wondering who the best players are that you watched with your own eyes, no players you didnt see. Ive been a fan since 2000 when I was 16. Here's my team.

QB #11 Ken Dorsey
RB #2 Willis McGahee
WR #5 Andre Johnson
WR #87 Reggie Wayne
WR #6 Santana Moss
TE #88 Jeremy Shockey
LT #78 Bryant McKinnie
LG #60 Vernon Carey
C #66 Brett Romberg
RG #65 Brandon Linder
RT #74 Eric Winston

DE #99 Joe Jackson
DT #9 Gerald Willis
DT #75 Vince Wilfork
DE #81 Calais Campbell
LB #44 Dan Morgan
LB #2 Jon Beason
LB #51 Jon Vilma
CB #31 Phillip Buchanon
CB #6 Antrel Rolle
SS #26 Sean Taylor
FS #20 Ed Reed

KR/PR #4 Devin Hester
K #25 Matt Bosher
P #16 Pat O'Donnell

Who was that dude in the ninties who was blocking FGs and punts like it was going out of style...

... i remember that last sec block to win at WV ....

He should be on our Special Teams all time team along with Bubba McDowell and Hester..

In fact we should have a ST all time team...

Love your team, HOWEVER!! I must ask you this - are you sure about Eddie Brown not being one of your starting WR's. Ive talked to a few guys from that era who were on those teams and they would fight you if 40 wasn't listed, lol. Fast Eddie was an absolute game breaker

also, when Ray Lewis isn't on your all-time UM team, it shows how much talent has come through Coral Gables. Or Warren Sapp- two Hall of Famers.

And the fact that Darryl Williams, a personal favorite of mine, wont be listed by anyone, shows you how deep Miami has been. In many other programs, that guy is THE safety.
You and me both. D Dub made my two deep.

Ray Lewis is the best defensive player in the history of FB. He is on the team. It’s silly to contend otherwise.

E. Brown made my two-deep also. But not sure how to put him over two guys who not only won totles at Miami but are or will be in Canton. Brown might have gotten there also, but for injuries. He was great.

Daryl Williams is right there with Brandon Merriweather and Jaquan as far as where he ranks for me. :)
I kept my list to Cane accomplishments; it is difficult to sit Lewis and Eddie "Downtown" Brown. I am glad I got to watch Brown, he was great, but as a comparison, look across the field in the national championship game at the collegiate exploits of Irving Fryar. Which players were closer to being THAT!? Irvin (battling with Neon Deon) and AJ (Rose Bowl against Neb) were that for me.

Great exercise in pride for what this Canes gang has accomplished (and will) since #KellyStrong's victory over Penn State.

Bomber, Im actually thinking of doing an article(if DMoney would allow it) where I do my all-time Miami roster of 85, going position by position, with the approximate number of 'scholarships' at each spot, like a modern day squad
Mods, give k9 his platform!

Advertisement
Youre the 2nd guy to list Blades over Taylor. Thats crazy to me because I cant imagine anyone being as good as him and Reed. PS, Taylor had 10 INTs in '03. He should have won the Thorpe imo (biased).

It was Blades or Taylor for me. Blades didn't have the modern day media exposure Taylor did but he was a monster in his era and also extremely productive and intimidating. He was also one of the original provocative guys in the program.

I almost put Mercier as one of my guards. He was big time underrated. He and KC Jones (center) were here at the start of scholarship reductions, etc, and were both undersized. Both, however, were warriors and very productive linemen.

QB: Tough call. Probably Walsh for what he did at UM. Kelly for what he did after UM. Kosar for the combo.
WR: Irvin, A. Johnson top 2. Wayne, E. Brown next.
RB: Edge, McGahee top 2, Portis, Highsmith next. Don’t really remember O. Anderson.
TE: B. Franks 1, Shockey 2, KWII 3
OT: McKinnie, Searcy by a mile
OG: tough call. Probably Cooper, Bibla. Linder, Myers were good. Carey also.
OC: Rakoczy, Romberg.

DE: Stubbs, Medearis tops. A bunch of options for next. Hawkins, Lang I think.
DT: J. Brown, Sapp first, Kennedy, Maryland next. Willfork after that.
LB: Lewis, Morgan, Barrow first, easily. Tough call next. Probably Vilma, D. Smith, and maybe W. Moss
S: S. Taylor and Ed Reed, but cannot leave out Bennie Blades, so ? D. Williams next.
CB: McNeil, Rolle followed by Buchanon, Starks, IMO.
Great list. But you have to squeeze F Gore in there somewhere.

Advertisement
It was Blades or Taylor for me. Blades didn't have the modern day media exposure Taylor did but he was a monster in his era and also extremely productive and intimidating. He was also one of the original provocative guys in the program.

I almost put Mercier as one of my guards. He was big time underrated. He and KC Jones (center) were here at the start of scholarship reductions, etc, and were both undersized. Both, however, were warriors and very productive linemen.
Roms and KC were a coin flip for me.

Analyzing these players in the context of the era in which they played is important. For example, Ted Hendricks was an all American in college and was mostly unlockable. In the NFL he was All Pro.

He revolutionized the DE position, but in today's football he would be a dime a dozen.

Advertisement
Absolutely not, if the question is performance at UM. Injuries are what they are. I am a huge fan of Gore’s, but his UM career isnt what those other guys did at the spot.
This is true, I personally think that he had the ability to be the best to ever play RB at Miami, but injuries ruined that chance.

Ok, I'll play.
I'm going strictly based on guys I've seen play. I probably actually started understanding the nuances of football when I was around 9 or 10, so that was 1988, 1989. I remember my pop watching Canes games in the mid 80's and going to the Orange Bowl as a little kid but I really didn't know the game enough to make a real judgment on those guys playing at that time. Also, this list is strictly college career, I don't care who had the best pro career.

QB- Ken Dorsey
RB- Edgerrin James
WR- Andre Johnson
WR- Santana Moss
WR- Lamar Thomas
TE- Jeremy Shockey
LT- Bryant McKinnie
LG- Chris Myers
C- KC Jones
RG- Vernon Carey
RT- Eric Winston

DE- Rusty Medearis
DT- Warren Sapp
DT- Cortez Kennedy
DE- Jerome Mc Dougal

OLB- Dan Morgan
MLB- Ray Lewis
OLB- Darrin Smith

CB- Phillip Buchanan
CB- Duane Starks
S- Sean Taylor
S- Ed Reed

K- Carlos Huerta
P- Matt Bosher

KR- Devin Hester
PR- Kevin Williams ( Hester, Moss and Buchanan were already on the squad)

Ok, I'll play.
I'm going strictly based on guys I've seen play. I probably actually started understanding the nuances of football when I was around 9 or 10, so that was 1988, 1989. I remember my pop watching Canes games in the mid 80's and going to the Orange Bowl as a little kid but I really didn't know the game enough to make a real judgment on those guys playing at that time. Also, this list is strictly college career, I don't care who had the best pro career.

QB- Ken Dorsey
RB- Edgerrin James
WR- Andre Johnson
WR- Santana Moss
WR- Lamar Thomas
TE- Jeremy Shockey
LT- Bryant McKinnie
LG- Chris Myers
C- KC Jones
RG- Vernon Carey
RT- Eric Winston

DE- Rusty Medearis
DT- Warren Sapp
DT- Cortez Kennedy
DE- Jerome Mc Dougal

OLB- Dan Morgan
MLB- Ray Lewis
OLB- Darrin Smith

CB- Phillip Buchanan
CB- Duane Starks
S- Sean Taylor
S- Ed Reed

K- Carlos Huerta
P- Matt Bosher

KR- Devin Hester
PR- Kevin Williams ( Hester, Moss and Buchanan were already on the squad)
Man, Im gonna have to watch Medearis... he keeps coming up.

Advertisement
Back