Offseason OT: All time starting 11

Man, Im gonna have to watch Medearis... he keeps coming up.
Those early 90's teams had a weird abundance of awesome white dudes on the defensive line. Darren Krein and Kevin Patrick were all conference caliber guys but Rusty was truly a special player. The knee injury was devastating. His name gets lost in the shuffle because he never played professionally. He was granted a 6th year of eligibility after his knee surgery but he wasn't the same player and hung up his cleats.

Advertisement
I'm honestly a bit surprised at the votes for Dorsey. He certainly had the win numbers but I'm riding with Steve Walsh. Dude was a machine with ice in his veins. Also give another nod to DWill at safety. Behind Blades and Taylor, probably the most athletic safety we've ever had here and a bonafide freak of an athlete. Could run, jump and lay the wood. ****, he almost caught Rocket from behind as a freshman.

RBs: it should pretty much be Edge/WMac at the top with guys like Alonzo, OJ, Portis, et al rounding out the rest.

At WR, for me it's Irvin and while people love to talk about AJohnson, Eddie Brown, et al, I'd put SMoss up there as well.

TE: Love shockey. He was dominant, moreso than the others imo. One can make an arugement for KW2.

OL: give me BMac-Mercier/Barber-KCJ-Bibla-Searcy

At LB, give me Smith, Morgan, Lewis.

DL: Brown/Tez/Stork/Stubbs

Man, Im gonna have to watch Medearis... he keeps coming up.

Tough guy, decent athlete from Missouri. Was not a fast guy, big guy or really strong and he was only 250-260, but he WORKED opposing LTs via tenacity and great pass rushing moves. Dude was an animal. That era had some of the meanest white dudes we've ever had here - Krein, PAtrick, Britton, et al used to get into fights on the regular during practice.

I'm honestly a bit surprised at the votes for Dorsey. He certainly had the win numbers but I'm riding with Steve Walsh. Dude was a machine with ice in his veins. Also give another nod to DWill at safety. Behind Blades and Taylor, probably the most athletic safety we've ever had here and a bonafide freak of an athlete. Could run, jump and lay the wood. ****, he almost caught Rocket from behind as a freshman.

RBs: it should pretty much be Edge/WMac at the top with guys like Alonzo, OJ, Portis, et al rounding out the rest.

At WR, for me it's Irvin and while people love to talk about AJohnson, Eddie Brown, et al, I'd put SMoss up there as well.

TE: Love shockey. He was dominant, moreso than the others imo. One can make an arugement for KW2.

OL: give me BMac-Mercier/Barber-KCJ-Bibla-Searcy

At LB, give me Smith, Morgan, Lewis.

DL: Brown/Tez/Stork/Stubbs

When push came to shove, I went with production and Dorsey's numbers and wins put him at the top of the list. He did have the benefit of playing behind the best UM O-line ever (by a mile) and his skill position talent was second to none. I'm sure if you were to put a guy like Craig Erickson on the 2001 team, he would have lit it up too.

Advertisement
QB: Tough call. Probably Walsh for what he did at UM. Kelly for what he did after UM. Kosar for the combo.
WR: Irvin, A. Johnson top 2. Wayne, E. Brown next.
RB: Edge, McGahee top 2, Portis, Highsmith next. Don’t really remember O. Anderson.
TE: B. Franks 1, Shockey 2, KWII 3
OT: McKinnie, Searcy by a mile
OG: tough call. Probably Cooper, Bibla. Linder, Myers were good. Carey also.
OC: Rakoczy, Romberg.

DE: Stubbs, Medearis tops. A bunch of options for next. Hawkins, Lang I think.
DT: J. Brown, Sapp first, Kennedy, Maryland next. Willfork after that.
LB: Lewis, Morgan, Barrow first, easily. Tough call next. Probably Vilma, D. Smith, and maybe W. Moss
S: S. Taylor and Ed Reed, but cannot leave out Bennie Blades, so ? D. Williams next.
CB: McNeil, Rolle followed by Buchanon, Starks, IMO.

Good list but it shows how impossible it is to list our greats. Ted Hendricks is GOAT and din’t make you DE list? Makes sense since you don’t remember OJ. Some DTs missing too - Lester Williams, Rubin Carter and Jim Burt(actually caused noles very first heartbreaking last minute loss to Miami). That said, you list would make any other school cry. Oh, we had another pretty good safety, Burgess Owens, a true coach on the field. How great is it to be a Miami Hurricane.

Another guy who will never make these lists (shout out to Daryl Williams earlier in the thread. He was a stud in college and even moreso in NFL) is Tremain Mack. Outside of Hester, IMO the greatest special teams performer in UM history and solid safety, but his tenure took place in middle of probation years.

Great returner and blocked kicks as well. The end of the West Virginia game where he blocked a punt in the last minute for a touchdown I'll never forget. Was incredibly fast and ran track at UM. If I recall, though, I think he battled alcoholism while in school. Though that memory is foggier than I want to admit.

When push came to shove, I went with production and Dorsey's numbers and wins put him at the top of the list. He did have the benefit of playing behind the best UM O-line ever (by a mile) and his skill position talent was second to none. I'm sure if you were to put a guy like Craig Erickson on the 2001 team, he would have lit it up too.

That's fair but he played one more year as a starter so there's that. And also, Walsh's numbers in soph/JR years were almost identifcal to KD's for the same period. Just sayin'...

This is what I believe the ALL TIME STARTING 11 ROSTER SHOULD LOOK LIKE

Offense:

QB: Jim Kelly
RB: Frank Gore
LT: Bryant Mckennie
LG: Brett Romberg
C: Jim Otto
RG: Brandon Linder
RT: Leon Searcy
TE: Jeremy Shockey
WR: Michael Irvin
WR: Andre Johnson
WR: Reggie Wayne

Defense:

DE: Ted Hendricks
DT: Warren Sapp
DT: Vince Wilfork
DE: Calais Campbell
LB: DJ Williams
MLB: Ray Lewis
LB: Dan Morgan
CB: Bennie Blades
CB: Antrel Role
FS: Sean Taylor
SS: Ed Reed

Special Teams:

KR/PR: Devin Hester
K: Michael Badgley
P: Jeff Feagles

Extra sauce:
52241199.jpg

Advertisement
That's fair but he played one more year as a starter so there's that. And also, Walsh's numbers in soph/JR years were almost identifcal to KD's for the same period. Just sayin'...

Yeah I went with Walsh by a hair over Kosar and Vinny. Kosar was tough to leave off as he was so incredibly productive despite leaving with two full years of eligibility (and graduated with double major). I think he would still have every major passing record at UM if he played two more years.

Another one never named at CB is donald Ellis. He was one of the best lockdown corners we've ever had here.

Basing off college career Frank Gore wasn’t a top 5 Miami back because injuries cost him too much in college.

Edgerrin James
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Ottis Anderson
Duke Johnson

Frank Gore will go down as the best all time NFL RB though.

Also with DT’s I think most Miami fans who have watched the Canes since the early 80s would say you gotta have :

Warren Sapp
Jerome Brown-RIP
Russell Maryland
Cortez Kennedy
Vince Wilfork
Gerald Willis

I like these 3 at Lb:

Ray Lewis
Dan morgan
Michael Barrow

DB’s-
Phillip Buchanon
Duane Starks
Antrel Rolle
Ryan McNeil

Ed Reed
Sean Taylor-RIP
Brian Blades

Last edited:
This is true, I personally think that he had the ability to be the best to ever play RB at Miami, but injuries ruined that chance.
Frank Gore had the abilty to be the best to ever play RB anywhere. He is the 4th all time leading rusher in NFL history, and that's after 3 knee reconstructions.

Advertisement
Good list but it shows how impossible it is to list our greats. Ted Hendricks is GOAT and din’t make you DE list? Makes sense since you don’t remember OJ. Some DTs missing too - Lester Williams, Rubin Carter and Jim Burt(actually caused noles very first heartbreaking last minute loss to Miami). That said, you list would make any other school cry. Oh, we had another pretty good safety, Burgess Owens, a true coach on the field. How great is it to be a Miami Hurricane.
No. The list you responded to was people I saw at UM. I never saw Ted Hendricks play at UM.

Absolutely not, if the question is performance at UM. Injuries are what they are. I am a huge fan of Gore’s, but his UM career isnt what those other guys did at the spot.
Absolutely not, if the question is performance at UM. Injuries are what they are. I am a huge fan of Gore’s, but his UM career isnt what those other guys did at the spot.
Not saying he would bump McGahee but for performance at UM stats wise there is an argument to be made for Gore over Portis

Not saying he would bump McGahee but for performance at UM stats wise there is an argument to be made for Gore over Portis
that’s insane. would you take Kaaya over Kelly or Kosar? Because Kaaya blahblah recod books etc.

Love Frank Gore, but there is no good argument that he was a better back at UM than Portis. more talented yes. but it didn’t work out because injuries.

Advertisement
Basing off college career Frank Gore wasn’t a top 5 Miami back because injuries cost him too much in college.

Edgerrin James
Clinton Portis
Willis McGahee
Ottis Anderson
Duke Johnson

Frank Gore will go down as the best all time NFL RB though.

Also with DT’s I think most Miami fans who have watched the Canes since the early 80s would say you gotta have :

Warren Sapp
Jerome Brown-RIP
Russell Maryland
Cortez Kennedy
Vince Wilfork
Gerald Willis

I like these 3 at Lb:

Ray Lewis
Dan morgan
Michael Barrow

DB’s-
Phillip Buchanon
Duane Starks
Antrel Rolle
Ryan McNeil

Ed Reed
Sean Taylor-RIP
Brian Blades
You cannot have an all time UM roster without Jerome Brown on it. That is blasphemy.

Andre Johnson
Ted Hendrix
Ed Reed
St
Ray Lewis
Jesse armstead
Jerome brown
Willis mcgahee
Pick your tight end

Already can't lose

that’s insane. would you take Kaaya over Kelly or Kosar? Because Kaaya blahblah recod books etc.

Love Frank Gore, but there is no good argument that he was a better back at UM than Portis. more talented yes. but it didn’t work out because injuries.
Gore has 3 less rushing tds with 100 less carries. Gore averaged 1 TD every 17 rushes. Listen I would prefer Gore you would take Portis. Great problem to have.

No. The list you responded to was people I saw at UM. I never saw Ted Hendricks play at UM.

It is sad you didn’t get to see Ted, but seeing him means I am a heck of a lot older than you and being old is no fun. We did have a lot of great players before we were ever a great team. Howard changed everything.

We even had a player before my time who became a National Championship HC too. Don James was pretty good Hurricane QB in early 50’s and later shared an NC with us while coaching Washington. Thankfully we are talking about my birth year so I too never saw him play.

Advertisement
Back