Official Visits - December 10th Weekend

Not one person talked arroyo in the portal. Geez
Meaning Arroyo committed and stayed committed to Miami with Mamarelli, Hodges, Mallory AND Jordan (I believe, correct me if I am wrong here) on our roster. He could have gone anywhere in the country when he blew up nationally and he stayed loyal and now he’s going to be our starting TE next season.

Advertisement
Sure, he can bet on himself, best of luck.

Stand firm that he'll be in the portal in 2 years from lack of PT. He'd play almost immediately here as a hybrid TE/WR
No he would not
He has a better chance of getting PT there. The two other TEs will be freshmen with him but he will EE so he will have a head start. Here Oroyo is the TE/WR hybrid. It was shocking to see how well he already blocks as a TF who came in underweight! He is a COMPLETE TE!

.Not to mention our track record with developing TE's far exceeds bama.
Mario doesn't really have a track record of TE's. Sorry but the only TE's that really count are the ones on the roster. Our staff has nothing to do with Franks, Shockey, Graham, Olsen, Winslow, etc. The logic of that doesn't really hold up. Why not just give Saban credit for Ozzie Newsome?

Mario doesn't really have a track record of TE's. Sorry but the only TE's that really count are the ones on the roster. Our staff has nothing to do with Franks, Shockey, Graham, Olsen, Winslow, etc. The logic of that doesn't really hold up. Why not just give Saban credit for Ozzie Newsome?
And Saban does? OJ Howard, a bust in the NFL? Cmon now.

Advertisement
And Saban does? OJ Howard, a bust in the NFL? Cmon now.
It’s so funny how we move the goal posts on this ****. OJ Howard was all world IN COLLEGE and so was Irv Smith, and they both were First Round picks (aka they got paid). After that, Saban has no control over what happens to them. Does Njoku busting in the NFL diminish what he did at Miami? Of course not and you can guarantee we will use him in our recruiting.

Fact is we haven’t been as good at developing tight ends as Alabama, Iowa and Notre Dame for a while now. Even Georgia, where tight ends go to die, has that Browers kid ballin right now.

We could sell Skinner on playing time, or how we would make him our Kyle Pitts / Njoku type, or whatever, but our recent track record of tight ends (and Mario’s overall) isn’t the end all be all.

Everyone is taking Skinner leaving early this morning as a bad thing. Maybe he had to get back to IMG asap to study for finals or something. We don’t know these kids lives day to day. And I’m sure he told Mario and the staff he had to head out at check out time. Relax. It was a Hail Mary attempt anyway you slice it

Mario coached Greg Olsen, Kevin Everett, and Buck Ortega when he was here as a TE coach in 2004-2005.

Advertisement
Everyone is taking Skinner leaving early this morning as a bad thing. Maybe he had to get back to IMG asap to study for finals or something. We don’t know these kids lives day to day. And I’m sure he told Mario and the staff he had to head out at check out time. Relax. It was a Hail Mary attempt anyway you slice it
It's bull****. The guy had a long, jam packed weekend, including late Friday and Saturday nights. No surprise he got out of town.

Yea I can’t relate to the pessimism. It has never and still doesn’t prepare me for bad news.

Mario coached Greg Olsen, Kevin Everett, and Buck Ortega when he was here as a TE coach in 2004-2005.
Fair enough. Miami had so many problems at that point, I wouldn't judge him either way. I don't think the oline was an indictment of him in 05 and 06 as much as it was Coker in general.

Skinner had already OV us, what more is there for him to see? I take this visit as him meeting up with Mario and seeing his pitch. That alone tells me he’s interested. Will he flip to us? Idk, but him leaving was definitely an overreaction. He wouldn’t visit if he wasn’t interested.

Advertisement
From Gaby:
Just talked to Nyjalik. He kept everything pretty surface level as you would expect but I imagine it would be pretty difficult for Miami to lose this one.

They have a whole day planned with Cyrus Moss, he's going to hang around until 4 to talk to Coleman

Landing Wes and Kelly and keeping the rest of the commits that he wanted locked down is more than a good start, it’s awesome.

No one jumped ship from the U when Manny was booted like they did from Oregon when Mario turned in his resignation. No one’s calling up Pedo State looking to OV there like we see happening at Miami.

I really wanted another HS WR, LB, S and DT in this class, plus a couple HS OL. Hope Mario and his staff can make that happen between now and Feb. Meanwhile portal season is about to begin. We’re going to pick up all the talent we need to see Clemson twice next year, I am quite confident in that.

Advertisement
From the Bama board, posted last night. Sounds like they kept texting/ checking in with him the entire time he was at Miami...

— As noted yesterday Jaleel Skinner went to Miami for an official. It’s recruiting so we always double and triple check everything we hear, but right now it sounds like the communication has been good before and during his trip. The parents and Skinner have been saying all the right things, and that's all you can go by this late in the process. Not much feedback from the Miami end so far but we are keeping our ear to the ground.

It’s so funny how we move the goal posts on this ****. OJ Howard was all world IN COLLEGE and so was Irv Smith, and they both were First Round picks (aka they got paid). After that, Saban has no control over what happens to them. Does Njoku busting in the NFL diminish what he did at Miami? Of course not and you can guarantee we will use him in our recruiting.

Fact is we haven’t been as good at developing tight ends as Alabama, Iowa and Notre Dame for a while now. Even Georgia, where tight ends go to die, has that Browers kid ballin right now.

We could sell Skinner on playing time, or how we would make him our Kyle Pitts / Njoku type, or whatever, but our recent track record of tight ends (and Mario’s overall) isn’t the end all be all.
Ok fine, let's say the NFL doesn't matter (because you're right it doesn't).

Irv Smith + OJ Howard vs.

Njoku
Herndon
Graham
Walford
Brevin

Yeah it's no comparison, and this is just within the last decade or so. You can argue that the previous regime is gone and that "Mario doesn't develop TE's" or whatever...but those names are throughout three different coaching staffs. And they weren't all 4-5 stars; we actually develop our TEs. Saban's had 2 in over a decade? Seems like he has the problem developing them.

No brainer if you're an elite TE that actually wants to be utilized imo. But I understand the hesitation given the timing and the fact we don't have an OC.

Miami has always developed TEs no matter who is coaching and that is facts.

Advertisement
Back