Official “If not Mario then who?” Thread

Advertisement
All of them minus Dabo were elite assistants on elite teams. (Venables) Unless we can get the next rising star coordinating an elite team I don’t know if I’d steer clear of head coaching experience just because of that sample
Didn’t suggest steering clear of anyone; quite the opposite, in fact. I’m not excluding someone just because they don’t have head coaching experience. I think it would be negligent to ignore some of the coordinator talent, especially in the NFL.

Advertisement

It's funny, everyone else in the country knows that Mario would consider leaving Oregon for Miami, yet the dummies on this site refuse to acknowledge this.

I'm just not a big Mario fan. He's a great recruiter and will get us the pieces we need but GameDay decisions and game planning have been things I think he struggles with so much. I'm still amazed at how bad Herbert looked at Oregon just to go the chargers and look like a world beater. Just never been a fan of his.
I hope we interview Jamey Chadwell, Matt Campbell, and Bill O'Brien. I really don't get why O'Brien isn't refered more by everyone. I mean, I thought it was safe to say that he only failed in Houston because he was given too much responsibility. His first years there and at Penn state everyone thought he'd be a world beater.

Advertisement
That's pretty much what @Canes Legacy said when @crossover22[]_[] initially suggested it. It would be rough times around here until the W's started piling up.
Correct.

You would have to put recruiters around him but as far as coaching goes. He would be the best coach weve had in over 20 years.

People that dont know much about wake have no clue how hard that job is. School has less that 10,000 kids. You only get unc and nc state leftovers in NC recruiting. True that the expectations arent extremely high but wake fans expect bowl games. Wakes last 2 football coaches have been miles ahead of miami.

Whether you have a #1 option or not your doing the entire program a disservice by not kicking the tires and interviewing other candidates. Guys I’d like to see us reach out too if things were to turnover.

- Cristobal
- Kiffin
- Freeze
- Fickell
- Venables
- M. Stoops

From NFL
- Byron Leftwich
- Eric Bieniemy
- Todd Bowles
- Doug Pederson
- Raheem Morris

If this was December...maybe.

It it is now, it is not going to be some vigorous tire-kicking exercise...

Advertisement
Bonus Episode: What If Manny Diaz was never offered the UM coaching job? 😩

Season 2 of Marvel's "What If?"...

Episode 1: What if Lou Saban never joked about a ****** kid being tossed into Lake Osceola?
Episode 2: What if Howard Schnellenberger never fell for that "I'm gonna have a USFL franchise" promise?
Episode 3: What if Jimmy Johnson was never friends or roommates with that jagoff Jerry Jones?
Episode 4: What if Dennis Erickson never discovered alcohol?
Episode 5: What if Butch Davis realized that he had built the greatest football team of all time and decided to coach them? [this is actually a compilation of all the interviews Butch has done over the past 10 years]
Episode 6: What if Terry Porter had never been born?
Episode 7: What if Randy Shannon went to a psychiatrist about his trust issues?
Episode 8: What if Al Golden stayed at Temple?
Episode 9: What if Mark Richt never got Parkinsons?
Episode 10: What if Manny Diaz stayed at Temple?

Bonus Episode: What if Tad Foote's father ever had a catch with him?

Last edited:
Bill O’Brien would be great. The problem with Bienemy is he doesn’t call the plays and never been a HC. He’s also had Pat Mahomes and Reid who have propped him up. He needs to cut his teeth somewhere before he gets his shot. The NFL keeps passing on him for a reason and its not bc of his skin color.

My list
1. Mario
2. Kiffin
3. O’Brien
You dont want O'Brien.

Bienemy gets passed up because of him choking a girl and getting charged for it. Add to the fact that Reid does the majority of the gameplanning and all of the playcalling...

Advertisement
I’m a Mario guy. But mostly every name in this thread would be an upgrade. I used to have expectations like “win 10 games” or “go to Charlotte.” Now, my expectations are things like “block,” “tackle,” and “catch.” Ffs
i'd be glad if we line up right

Advertisement
Back