Offensive line recruiting and development

Hstokes1447

Junior
We wont truly know anything until the season starts, but I am actually starting to get a good feeling about the state of this offensive line. As you all know offensive line is a developmental position that usually doesn't pay off until a guy is in his 3rd season. IF that holds true Miami is only 1 season away from having a solid two deep up front, just in time for the championship run!

Lets take a closer look:

2017 Class
OT Kai-Leon Herbert 6-5 302 (RSO after a few years dealing with injuries, he is running with the 1st team at RT)
OG Navaughn Donaldson 6-6 340 (JR is going into his 3rd year as a starter)
OG Zalon'tae Hillery 6-6 304 (RSO very athletic kid who should be a starter this season at RG)
OG Zach Dykstra 6-6 305 (RSO the head scratcher of the bunch not sure if he will ever be more than a backup)
C Corey Gaynor 6-4 305 (RSO after a redshirt year it looks like Corey will be taking over the starting center position)

*Of the 5 lineman signed in the 2017 class 4 of them have a very good chance to be starters*

2018 Class
OT DJ Scaife 6-3 300 (SO career shaping up same as Donaldson's. EE who eventually became a starter, and it looks like he will be the starter at LT this season)
OT John Campbell 6-5 310 (RFR has been seeing reps as the 1st team RT and RG, it safe to say he will be in the 2 deep this season)
OG Cleveland Reed 6-3 325 (RFR has been getting bun with the 2nd team this spring and should be in the rotation this season)

*Of the 3 lineman signed in the 2018 class 2 potential starters and 1 who could be in the 2 deep with good fall camp*

2019 Class
OT Zion Nelson 6-5 271 (EE who has since gained 30 pounds and seen action with the 1st team at LT. If he continues to develop he could be in the 2 deep by seasons end)
OT Adam ElGammal 6-5 275 (Very athletic kid who should redshirt this season)
C Tommy Kennedy 6-4 285 (Has struggle most of spring, but he could find a home as a backup tackle)
C Jakai Clark 6-3 305 (A very strong kid who will compete for the 2nd team center spot)

*Of the 4 lineman signed in the 2018 class 2 or 3 could see action as backups and 1 or 2 IMO will redshirt*

So in 3 classes Miami has signed 12 offensive lineman with only one of the bunch looking like a potential JAG (I am still not ready to give Dykstra that title).

Advertisement
We wont truly know anything until the season starts, but I am actually starting to get a good feeling about the state of this offensive line. As you all know offensive line is a developmental position that usually doesn't pay off until a guy is in his 3rd season. IF that holds true Miami is only 1 season away from having a solid two deep up front, just in time for the championship run!

Lets take a closer look:

2017 Class
OT Kai-Leon Herbert 6-5 302 (RSO after a few years dealing with injuries, he is running with the 1st team at RT)
OG Navaughn Donaldson 6-6 340 (JR is going into his 3rd year as a starter)
OG Zalon'tae Hillery 6-6 304 (RSO very athletic kid who should be a starter this season at RG)
OG Zach Dykstra 6-6 305 (RSO the head scratcher of the bunch not sure if he will ever be more than a backup)
C Corey Gaynor 6-4 305 (RSO after a redshirt year it looks like Corey will be taking over the starting center position)

*Of the 5 lineman signed in the 2017 class 4 of them have a very good chance to be starters*

2018 Class
OT DJ Scaife 6-3 300 (SO career shaping up same as Donaldson's. EE who eventually became a starter, and it looks like he will be the starter at LT this season)
OT John Campbell 6-5 310 (RFR has been seeing reps as the 1st team RT and RG, it safe to say he will be in the 2 deep this season)
OG Cleveland Reed 6-3 325 (RFR has been getting bun with the 2nd team this spring and should be in the rotation this season)

*Of the 3 lineman signed in the 2018 class 2 potential starters and 1 who could be in the 2 deep with good fall camp*

2019 Class
OT Zion Nelson 6-5 271 (EE who has since gained 30 pounds and seen action with the 1st team at LT. If he continues to develop he could be in the 2 deep by seasons end)
OT Adam ElGammal 6-5 275 (Very athletic kid who should redshirt this season)
C Tommy Kennedy 6-4 285 (Has struggle most of spring, but he could find a home as a backup tackle)
C Jakai Clark 6-3 305 (A very strong kid who will compete for the 2nd team center spot)

*Of the 4 lineman signed in the 2018 class 2 or 3 could see action as backups and 1 or 2 IMO will redshirt*

So in 3 classes Miami has signed 12 offensive lineman with only one of the bunch looking like a potential JAG (I am still not ready to give Dykstra that title).
Good overview! Thank you for the write up! I am cautiously optimistic, but not as much as you are. I hope that your suggestions and excitement are right on the money. I will withhold judgement until I see how our OL do in the Florida game.

3DD8BE44-F1BF-4808-BAF0-BE561C600C7C.jpeg

Zion putting on good weight

Ive been to a couple of practices this spring Zion is not as small as ppl think. He is only slightly leaner than Scaife.

Advertisement
That’s pretty optimistic, but new offense and coaching should change things. Miami has four 4-star players in the OL rotation. That’s enough to be straight.

We only have 2 OL with significant college XP (not counting Kennedy).

I truly hope the new coaching and additional time in the program has helped these kids make a huge jump because if not we're ****ed. If Scaife or Donaldson get injured we're ****ed.

If Donaldson doesn't leave early there will be 7 talented upperclassmen returning for the 2020 season. I project Zion and Clark will see some action this season and be ready to provide very solid depth in 2020.

Way too early 2020 depth chart (hey a guy can dream right, this is what the off season is all about lol)
LT DJ Scaife JR 3 year starter
LG Navaughn Donaldson SR 4 year starter
C Corey Gaynor RJR 2 year starter
RG Zalon'tae Hillery RJR 2 year starter
RT Kai-Leon Herbert RJR 2 year starter

LT Zion Nelson SO
LG Zach Dykstra RJR or Adam ElGammal RFR
C Jakai Clark SO
RG Cleveland Reed RSO
RT John Campbell RSO

I think 2020 will be the first time in a long time that a true freshman will not be able to step on campus and be in the two deep.

Idk much about the offensive line b. who is the bull out of the group? Who is the Nesta Silvera of the oline? The one that plays with an edge?

Advertisement
There are so many issues with the OL, that unless we build depth for consistent play in games, we can never step up to Elite.
I am talking talent on the 2nd, 3 rd levels, that can step in.

It is a building process, not a few key names and talent...........we need the 2nd, and 3rd backups to be good.....almost as good as the starters.
That keeps us in games.
Our D would be much fresher, and we would convert those 3 rd downs, that created such a frustrating situation in many games last year.
We are one injury, one step, one knick from a problem.
Methinks Manny knows this.

We clearly have solid talent. I think the experience concern is the only real thing to worry about at the moment. There is also uncertainty with Barry being new, but he seems like an up and comer who probably learned a lot coaching some solid NFL lines for four years with the Bucs as an assistant OL coach. Personally the experience factor and new system will just require some patience but there is enough talent.

Under Richt, IMHO, we were actually recruiting well at OL until this past year when we had to really dig to get some guys at the end. And even that, early returns are Zion is a surprise and Kennedy a bust with two more guys yet to show. Then again, we won't know until these guys get more burn and years in the program, too (unfortunately Kennedy better have a summer epiphany).

i didnt like Clark that much on tape. I thought Zion was a little underrated. athletic and plays with nastiness.
I think El Gammel has the natural talent. we shall see if they can develop him.

Last edited:
If Donaldson doesn't leave early there will be 7 talented upperclassmen returning for the 2020 season. I project Zion and Clark will see some action this season and be ready to provide very solid depth in 2020.

Way too early 2020 depth chart (hey a guy can dream right, this is what the off season is all about lol)
LT DJ Scaife JR 3 year starter
LG Navaughn Donaldson SR 4 year starter
C Corey Gaynor RJR 2 year starter
RG Zalon'tae Hillery RJR 2 year starter
RT Kai-Leon Herbert RJR 2 year starter

LT Zion Nelson SO
LG Zach Dykstra RJR or Adam ElGammal RFR
C Jakai Clark SO
RG Cleveland Reed RSO
RT John Campbell RSO

I think 2020 will be the first time in a long time that a true freshman will not be able to step on campus and be in the two deep.
Almost laughed at "If Donaldson leaves early", then I remembered Boulware 😔

Advertisement
Tackles stepping up is key for our o line. Having scaife, campbell, herbert, and zion solidify the tackle 2 deep allows all the other guys to remain within the interior where they belong, and with a deep 2020 o line class we'll actually then have a true 3 deep that'll allow us to compete against the big boys again.

Advertisement
The white boy? No shade, but who would have thought lol. If I remember correctly reports were that Scaife had a mean streak coming out of HS. U can definitely tell Gaynor is the leader of that oline though. He has NFL potential.
Who would’ve thought??? You forgot the fall camp he had his freshman year? Remember Richt found a way to plug him at fb because he was still developing and enjoyed initiating contact. Gaynor has always had the dog in him. Now his body is maturing to a point where we can see it on the line.

Wish we had a little more to work with at tackle but to be honest the cupboard is far from bare. We should field a good line this year imo

Last edited:
Who would’ve thought??? You forgot the fall camp he had his freshman year? Remember Richt found a way to plug him at fb because he was still developing and enjoyed initiating contact. Gaynor has always had the dog in him. Now his body is maturing to a point where we can see it on the line.

I thought he was already named the starting center bc of his leadership. I honestly didn't know he had that dawg in him too. I'm a fan of any player who plays with an edge.

Advertisement
Back