Offense Looking to the Sideline

Advertisement
When I think of players on offense lining up then looking to the sideline I think of Texas high school football.

SF, if you're going to troll, please go to the WEZ. I'm going to ask a moderator to keep your posts in line.

SF, if you're going to troll, please go to the WEZ. I'm going to ask a moderator to keep your posts in line.

Who's trolling? I really do think of Texas high school football when I think of that.

I'd be interested to see where this play calling approach started. If I had to guess I'd say it might have been Gus Malzahn when he was the high school coach at Springdale high in Arkansas. Just a guess tho.

I guess it always reminds me of Southlake Carroll high in Texas. I think they won back to back Tejas state titles and I saw them doing that on every single play.

Where's Swagger1 when you need him? :)

Advertisement
It's extremely helpful to a play caller to see the defense's alignment pre-snap. One formation may be defended by multiple looks depending on the front, hash, etc.

And like Wildcat said as a defense you can obviously disguise or roll into certain coverages, but the defense also has to respect the fact it may be a true hurry up.

It's really just a numbers game. If I put a formation into the sideline will they line up according to the formations strength or will they defend the field. What if I send motion ... What if I send motion into the sideline. The ability to see a defenses alignment is especially helpful in the run game, whether it be in the backfield or extended run game ie wr screens.

Throw in a plus one system with a running QB or a read option package and you find yourself with an opportunity to always outnumber the defense.

The only thing that gets me about it, and I don't know if this holds up (would love someone to break it down for me), it that it seems like sometimes we have the defense on their heels in the hurry up, and then we come up to the line and give them time to recover a little by looking to the sidelines. It is purely a rhythm thing from my perspective, and again if I am wrong I would love to be told why.

Defense would still be on their heels. Purpose of the no-huddle is to prevent the defense from making substitutions, not necessarily to run plays quickly.

No-huddle offense doesn't always equal hurry up offense.

Also....no-huddle and hurry up are not necessarily the same thing. Plenty of teams run a no-huddle offense that doesn't necessarily run plays quickly. They simply just run a no-huddle to keep the D from making subs
Stop confusing people with accurate fact based information rather than uninformed personal opinion. You will ruin the board.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back