Offense Looking to the Sideline

I have two or three from last season that I still have to do. My DVR burnt out and had to get the games from a friend which took forever. Then never got around to editing them. I'll check to see if VT was one of the causalities.
We definitely did it alot with Fisch last year. You can go back and check the FlashForwards. I'm neither here or there on it as long as the offense is productive...I really don't care.
we did it under fisch? don't know about that... probably but not as much...

do you have the va tech game?

Advertisement
I don't like it we have a a senior quarterback thats a NFL prospect he should have control of the offense but this is a direct affect of having a new offensive coordinator who probably feels like he has to justify his job!

I don't like it. It smacks of coaches being control freaks and worry it might lead to confusion. Not to mention the O looks like a bunch of prairie dogs.

377.jpg

Last edited:
Rich Rod says he doesn't want to trust his mortgage payment to someone who probably still watches cartoons.

I'm fan but that's because I hate huddles. tempo.

Advertisement
I miss the QB actually calling the play in the huddle ala Bob Griese, but then again I still pray in Latin. Qb's used to smartest guy on field; now is it probably the center on most teams. Arm and feet have overtaken smarts at QB. Except at Bama, where the dude with the hottet girlfiend get to start. Oh wait, maybe that is backward -- the dude that starts gets the hottest girlfriend. Yeah, I think it still works that way.

I have no problem with it. I don't know if it's about control as much as it's about our offensive coaches in the press box having 10 seconds or so to look at alignment and personnel mismatches.

Im not a fan. Call a play let the players play.

Does Oregon really do it that much? Not so sure.

You're right. Oregon usually gets to the line and snaps the ball. Over, and over, etc. They don't spend a lot of time looking for a play call from the sideline.

I remember an interview by chip Kelly, saying they only had like 4-5 run plays in the offense, most of them read option plays.
The Oregon qb doesn't have as much to handle running that kind of offense.
What we run is much more complicated.

I don't like the way our 3-4 defense looks either, right guys? It's just icky and gross. Let's get rid of that, too.

Advertisement

You're right. Oregon usually gets to the line and snaps the ball. Over, and over, etc. They don't spend a lot of time looking for a play call from the sideline.

I remember an interview by chip Kelly, saying they only had like 4-5 run plays in the offense, most of them read option plays.

Whatever it is, I like it. I watched the Oregon - Tenn game, and Oregon just ran the Vols off the ******* field. Maybe Alabama would beat them, but Alabama seems to beat everyone.

If that's the case simplicity works.

Oklahoma has had a lot of success looking to the sideline. Oregon excels with 5 plays and no pre-snap reads. Alabama dominates with the huddle. Therefore, I don't care if we do handstands before the play as long as we move the ball.

I would love for someone to actually give a REASON instead of just saying "i don't like it" or "i don't like the way it looks."

Advertisement
I would love for someone to actually give a REASON instead of just saying "i don't like it" or "i don't like the way it looks."

Fair enough. Posters have already stated that there are successful teams that do not look to the sidelines.
Just stating "I don't like it" like I did only makes one look like the purist that I am (also don't like most of the nonsense boomed out over the speakers, or girls with too much overpainted red lipstick). Where was I?

But seriously, would it not be possible for the D to stay in a vanilla formation, wait until the O looks to the sideline and then shift into a different look? Does the offense then look to the sideline again, or call an audible?

I can see the O coach calling a play to exploit a matchup weakness, but isn't that what film study is about?

Very interested in your perspective on the advantages and disadvantages of looking to the sidelines.

film study doesn't tell you what mismatches you will have on a specific play. we may send a bunch of wrs or pull the wrs for tight ends and we then need to see how they substitute. every play may be different than what they see on film. the film isn't us and our plays vs them. it's them vs another team and their personnel.
it's just not about film study.

Advertisement
Miami just beat UF after being a 7-5 team wit no defense. Right now I trust that Al Golden knows more than our fans and I'll let him run the show how he sees fit. Just some new excuse for our fans to complain.

The only thing that gets me about it, and I don't know if this holds up (would love someone to break it down for me), it that it seems like sometimes we have the defense on their heels in the hurry up, and then we come up to the line and give them time to recover a little by looking to the sidelines. It is purely a rhythm thing from my perspective, and again if I am wrong I would love to be told why.

The only thing that gets me about it, and I don't know if this holds up (would love someone to break it down for me), it that it seems like sometimes we have the defense on their heels in the hurry up, and then we come up to the line and give them time to recover a little by looking to the sidelines. It is purely a rhythm thing from my perspective, and again if I am wrong I would love to be told why.

Defense would still be on their heels. Purpose of the no-huddle is to prevent the defense from making substitutions, not necessarily to run plays quickly.

No-huddle offense doesn't always equal hurry up offense.

Also....no-huddle and hurry up are not necessarily the same thing. Plenty of teams run a no-huddle offense that doesn't necessarily run plays quickly. They simply just run a no-huddle to keep the D from making subs

Fair enough. Posters have already stated that there are successful teams that do not look to the sidelines.
Just stating "I don't like it" like I did only makes one look like the purist that I am (also don't like most of the nonsense boomed out over the speakers, or girls with too much overpainted red lipstick). Where was I?

But seriously, would it not be possible for the D to stay in a vanilla formation, wait until the O looks to the sideline and then shift into a different look? Does the offense then look to the sideline again, or call an audible?

I can see the O coach calling a play to exploit a matchup weakness, but isn't that what film study is about?

Very interested in your perspective on the advantages and disadvantages of looking to the sidelines.

Yes, a defense can do that, and that would probably be the best way to counter-punch this type of offense.

All the offense is doing is seeing what coverage and/or front you line-up in and then they're going to call a play from the sideline to exploit it.

The QB audible and the huddle are just "middle men" if you will. Running the "freeze" offense just cuts out the middle man. Why put it in your QB's hands to audible when he sees the defense when you can jusy call the correct play right then and there from the sideline? This eliminates any mental errors from your QB, in terms of play-calling, and puts it all on the OC's shoulders.

As a DC I would have my guys show a totally different coverage pre-snap and then roll to something else once the QB starts his cadence. This is where film study comes into play. If I know that Oregon will call a passing play down the seam when they see Cover-3 (during the freeze) then I'm gonna SHOW them Cover-3, let them call their seam play, and then shift into a different coverage just before the snap that will defend (or pick) that seam route.

The only weakness about the freeze offense is that it can put your defense right back on the field if it doesn't work.

Advertisement
Back