Offense Looking to the Sideline

screen003

Recruit
Anyone not a fan of the offense looking to the sideline to make audibles. I would rather my QB make adjustments as he sees it. It also gives the defense a chance to audible too when they see the offense looking over to change something. I watch most top QBs ( bridgewater, McCarron, mariota, maziel, ect...) they all audible at the line of scrimmage and not look over to the OC to change things.

Advertisement
It's not an audible. They are calling a play based on what the dc sees the defense doing. It's not an audible in the true sense of an audible. Morris still audibles at the line if he wants.

Our offense does this all the time. Basically all they are doing is setting up a formation and try to get the defense offsides or set up to what they will do before the snap. That way our guys up time can see this and try to find mismatches to go to. Works very well for no hudle teams because then you use all the time in the huddle to be one step up on the defense.

Advertisement
One other thing. When the offense first gets set, the defense has to do likewise, get in their stance, and having to hold it until the offense relaxes and takes a look. Then the defense has to do the same thing one more time.

THEN, you get them in the habit of setting and then the "look," but then you do a quick count on the first set, and maybe catch them a bit by surprise.

Or change up to a series of quick counts, and later change back up to get the look.

Advertisement
Im not a fan. Call a play let the players play.

Does Oregon really do it that much? Not so sure.

I'm not a fan either. I'm not a fan of much of anything in new football. The Seahawks at home tonight, now that was familiar and wonderful. Loud relentless fan base and attacking physical defense. Best football game I've seen in a long time. Hard to believe the Oregon mush is popular.

I'm not a fan either. I'm not a fan of much of anything in new football. The Seahawks at home tonight, now that was familiar and wonderful. Loud relentless fan base and attacking physical defense. Best football game I've seen in a long time. Hard to believe the Oregon mush is popular.

I hate the sideline look. It smacks of control freak coaches. Would love to see the players get more rope to play with rather that things being so tightly scripted offensively.

There always an element of mush with these spread teams. Always a soft spot that eventually someone exploits by punching them in the mouth. I cant see an Oregon beating Bammers. It would be a game no doubt, but a great, physical D can win over these teams if they have any kind of offense that can score.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We definitely did it under Fisch.

And this isn't just a college trend. NFL teams starting to do it now too.

So you should just get used to it, this trend isn't going anywhere.

We definitely did it alot with Fisch last year. You can go back and check the FlashForwards. I'm neither here or there on it as long as the offense is productive...I really don't care.
we did it under fisch? don't know about that... probably but not as much...

Advertisement

You're right. Oregon usually gets to the line and snaps the ball. Over, and over, etc. They don't spend a lot of time looking for a play call from the sideline.

Some of you are really complaining about things that are not real issues

1. QB in 2014

2. Looking at the sideline

3. Al will be judged solely on Ermon Lane

This... I agree 100%. These coaches are paid lots of money to coach these kids up, study film, and make the appropriate call. I hate this whole get to the line, see what the defense is doing, and call a play. Might as well not even practice offense!

Advertisement
Back