Off Topic: WBB Miami and NIL Ruling

Advertisement
Bruh if I am walking down the street in vegas and someone walks up to me and offers me coke and a cop hears it, I am not getting arrested. The specific finding was Meier contacted a rep. Maybe it was Ruiz, maybe it was Jr., maybe it was a secretary, who knows. But the poster I was responding to said:

"Ruiz has been yelling from the mountaintop that everything he does is legal and he has never violated any regulation.

And this shows that’s not true. Hate the NCAA all you want but Ruiz looks like a total fool."

What did Ruiz do that was illegal? What did Ruiz do that violated any regulation? How does this make Ruiz look like a fool?

Ruiz said himself if it affected him or his company he would go after them. But it doesn't and it was Meier who screwed up.

Look, you can complain if you want. But I am 100% correct.

You simply need to break apart your sentence.

"Everything he does is legal". From the standpoint of Florida law, yes.

"He has never violated any regulation". False.

Look, I'm a UM booster, I have frequently received the UM booster guidelines. Boosters cannot argue "ignorance" of the NCAA rules. I realize that maybe YOU don't read the NCAA ruling in a way to realize that John Ruiz is, in fact, the "representative" in question, but he was. And there was contact during the recruiting period that the NCAA has deemed to be a violation.

Don't give me some ridiculous "someone walks up to me and offers me coke" example. That has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about here.

John Ruiz is a booster. The NCAA booster rules still apply (as I have been saying for over a year). John Ruiz was contacted AND THEN HOSTED A DINNER (maybe if there was no dinner, your Vegas coke offer analogy would apply). I'm not giving the guy a hard time about it, I'm just acknowledging it happened. And what I MILDLY gave him a hard time about was TWEETING ABOUT IT. If he doesn't do THAT, I don't even know if the NCAA has ANY evidence of ANY violation.

Sorry. Those are the facts. It sucks that it cost us a violation and it sucks that I was right about this all along. I HATE BEING RIGHT ABOUT THIS. The University of Miami is my alma mater, I will fight tooth-and-nail to defend UM.

But Mr. Ruiz's tweets handed the NCAA the slim evidence on which to hoist us by our own petard.

Sorry.

This is an attempt to get Miami/Ruiz to stop being so public about 1) paying players and 2) making the NCAA look weak.

Who gets targeted and who doesn’t makes a lot more sense when you realize the NCAA only cares about appearances. TAMU doesnt get lit up for breaking the rules because nobody talked about it. Bama doesn’t get punished because nobody talked about it. Tennessee doesn’t get punished because they have one high profile kid get an untold sum and then nobody talked about it.

Of course being from the right side of the tracks matters, but second to that is “don’t make the boss look bad” even if the boss cant walk from his desk to the bathroom without undergoing cardiac arrest.

Oh and I hope the institution falls into the lake of fire.

This is an attempt to get Miami/Ruiz to stop being so public about 1) paying players and 2) making the NCAA look weak.

Who gets targeted and who doesn’t makes a lot more sense when you realize the NCAA only cares about appearances. TAMU doesnt get lit up for breaking the rules because nobody talked about it. Bama doesn’t get punished because nobody talked about it. Tennessee doesn’t get punished because they have one high profile kid get an untold sum and then nobody talked about it.

Of course being from the right side of the tracks matters, but second to that is “don’t make the boss look bad” even if the boss cant walk from his desk to the bathroom without undergoing cardiac arrest.

Exactly. This is a post I made back in June and thats exactly what I was talking about.

4EF411C4-47E0-41B7-A097-9A6F510F0B0B.png

Advertisement
Look, you can complain if you want. But I am 100% correct.

You simply need to break apart your sentence.

"Everything he does is legal". From the standpoint of Florida law, yes.

"He has never violated any regulation". False.

Look, I'm a UM booster, I have frequently received the UM booster guidelines. Boosters cannot argue "ignorance" of the NCAA rules. I realize that maybe YOU don't read the NCAA ruling and realize that John Ruiz is, in fact, the "representative" in question, but he was. And there was contact during the recruiting period that the NCAA has deemed to be a violation.

Don't give me some ridiculous "someone walks up to me and offers me coke" example. That has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about here.

John Ruiz is a booster. The NCAA booster rules still apply (as I have been saying for over a year). John Ruiz was contacted AND THEN HOSTED A DINNER. I'm not giving the guy a hard time about it, I'm just acknowledging it happened. And what I MILDLY gave him a hard time about was TWEETING ABOUT IT. If he doesn't do THAT, I don't even know if the NCAA has ANY evidence of ANY violation.

Sorry. Those are the facts. It sucks that it cost us a violation and it sucks that I was right about this all along. I HATE BEING RIGHT ABOUT THIS. The University of Miami is my alma mater, I will fight tooth-and-nail to defend UM.

But Mr. Ruiz's tweets handed the NCAA the slim evidence on which to hoist us by our own petard.

Sorry.
This.

Personally? IDGAF. And in all reality, most probably don’t either. If this is all that happens then it’s not a big deal. And if anything is a bit of a wake up call to reign things in.

I have said from day one including directly to him that his desire to be a troll online was putting a massive bullseye on Miami including publicly broadcasting dollar amounts like with Pack.

hes too smart to not have been aware the ncaa would go after Miami if the wind blew the wrong direction and now despite all he’s done so far he’s put a massive mark on Miami for people to take shots at.

instead of trying to be the elon musk of nil he could have handled this differently and still did all of it and still get a ton of attention for lifewallet. Billionaire ego run amok.

so predictable. So ****ed. The sights will now be out for football directly.

I don't disagree but the proof of this pudding will be if they go after UF following everything with Rashada.

Advertisement
instead of trying to be the elon musk of nil he could have handled this differently and still did all of it and still get a ton of attention for lifewallet. Billionaire ego run amok.

so predictable. So ****ed. The sights will now be out for football directly.

I'd greatly prefer the Mark Cuban of NIL. Still famous, but a lot smarter and more circumspect.

I'd greatly prefer the Mark Cuban of NIL. Still famous, but a lot smarter and more circumspect.
But he’s acting like elon is on Twitter. Tanking his own stock and playing to the bro crowd. Ie not smart with the ncaa however pathetic the ncaa is.

everyone discounting this is forgetting the negative recruiting other schools in all sports can now spin that Ruiz won’t be able to get their money

stop being so blinded by “Ruiz will sue them” or it’s “just womens basketball“

he could stop being a child online and have put less of a spotlight on but he has to be an egomaniac know it all who does it right but somehow Miami gets nailed first

Why does everyone assume what he is doing is above board? Granted, other schools do way shadier stuff, but it doesn’t absolve him from being shady.

So then tell us what is POSSIBLY shady (I mean, other than posting once a year)...

Is it shady to pay college athletes NIL money? Last I checked, that's legal in all 50 states.

Please, educate us, you post so rarely, what do you possibly think COULD be shady here?

But he’s acting like elon is on Twitter. Tanking his own stock and playing to the bro crowd. Ie not smart with the ncaa however pathetic the ncaa is.

everyone discounting this is forgetting the negative recruiting other schools in all sports can now spin that Ruiz won’t be able to get their money

he could stop being a child online and have put less of a spotlight on but he has to be an egomaniac know it all who does it right but somehow Miami gets nailed first
Where did you possibly reach the conclusion that Ruiz won't be able to participate in NIL?

Advertisement
Why does everyone assume what he is doing is above board? Granted, other schools do way shadier stuff, but it doesn’t absolve him from being shady.

And, to the above point, he brings this on himself. “I’m gonna sue the s***out of them”. Good luck with that.
There’s no reason to do it any other way but ” above board”. Secondly this is Miami , Miami can’t be throwing around bags like Sec schools and get away with it.

This was a big nothing burger and the Ncaa had to dig so deep that it went all the way to women’s freaking bball lol.

Where did you possibly reach the conclusion that Ruiz won't be able to participate in NIL?
reading comprehension issues I see. I said no such thing.

I said schools will be able to negative recruit more now against him because they can take a morsel of an issue and spin in since he is the face of the nil program

There’s no reason to do it any other way but ” above board”. Secondly this is Miami , Miami can’t be throwing around bags like Sec schools and get away with it.

This was a big nothing burger and the Ncaa had to dig so deep that it went all the way to women’s freaking bball lol.
Don’t be so naive dude. it doesn’t matter that it’s bs, it has impacts and you know that

Advertisement
Yes Meier messed up, but overall it’s not that bad of a violation.

As some might know I’m new to the canes family, and the us vs the world thing. But wtf is the NCAA doing, spending 4 months and 100,000+ just to find a text telling two very high profile players to have a meeting/ dinner with a booster/ highest profile NIL investor in collegiate sports.

If you put that level of scrutiny against any program you will find a level two violation a good percentage of the time.

reading comprehension issues I see. I said no such thing.

I said schools will be able to negative recruit more now against him because they can take a morsel of an issue and spin in since he is the face of the nil program
The issue is less reading comprehension and more an inability to write a coherent sentence. Please tell me what the bolded was meant to say if not what I interpreted it to mean.

Advertisement
Back