Off Topic / UM History

Joined
Jun 20, 2023
Messages
1,073
I was born in 85 and didn’t get to experience the 80s and early 90s like some of you guys!

Now that I’m on the mend with the liver I’d like to really go back and deep dive watch it. Should I start at a certain period and go linear?

Really start with the Schennly championship team? I want to watch all of the games I can.

Who are the players that I should watch for that are not household names that weee foundations to those programs?
 
I was born in 85 and didn’t get to experience the 80s and early 90s like some of you guys!

Now that I’m on the mend with the liver I’d like to really go back and deep dive watch it. Should I start at a certain period and go linear?

Really start with the Schennly championship team? I want to watch all of the games I can.

Who are the players that I should watch for that are not household names that weee foundations to those programs?


If you could go back to 1980, that would be a great starting point.

HOWEVER, the Supreme Court case of NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma was not decided until 1984, so you will probably have access to a lot more games (ESPN or wherever) from 1985 onward.

I enrolled in 1986, and I'm pretty sure that all of our biggest games had national broadcasts, either on a broadcast network or on ESPN. Florida, Oklahoma, and FSU, definitely (plus the Fiasco Bowl against Pedo State) are definitely games that get replayed a lot.
 
I was born in 85 and didn’t get to experience the 80s and early 90s like some of you guys!

Now that I’m on the mend with the liver I’d like to really go back and deep dive watch it. Should I start at a certain period and go linear?

Really start with the Schennly championship team? I want to watch all of the games I can.

Who are the players that I should watch for that are not household names that weee foundations to those programs?
Hope you’re on the mend!

I can still get a lot of games— and ones worth watching via YouTube from my frosh year 1985 and beyond.

Some things you’ll see & hear, which you wouldn’t today:

* All players wore ginormous shoulder pads and some wore neck rolls (remember those?)

* our wideouts under Jimmy played in a 3 pt stance across the field- like the old flanker position in NFL from the 60s

* vast majority of snaps came with the QB under center

* the broadcast graphics will make you laugh out loud

* the Orange Bowl- big games like OU with the Boz, and the pay back game against ND in 89 are the loudest I’ve ever been to life- but it comes through over the telecast

* “bye bye Bosworth” we hate to see you go” clearly audible during OU game in the mid 4th Q- student section started it and the entire stadium joined

* same for 1989 ND game we were up late and all you could hear was “f-you Brent” and it was clearly audible— he even popped his head out of the TV booth and waved while we were trolling him!

*Another crowd chant when we dominated a big opponent was the “nah nah nah nanah- hey hey hey- good bye”

* incessant PA on the field from the yamma yamma man- could hear all his normal cheers “skit skat let’s go to the rat” and “it’s great be a Miami hurricane” Among others

* tons of student section TV shots from sideline after scoring plays or coming into and out of commercial breaks (you just get crowd general shots these days with few student section cameos

*gang tackling was savage and a staple in every game- defenses were ferocious

* the weapons on both sides of the ball- they rotated RBs like we do today- receivers weren’t all prolific but we had a bunch of them and they all caught passes…

* the depth and play of back ups was sick

-Enjoy
 
Back
Top