Off season weight gains

Advertisement
chase smith went from 172 when he arrived to 210 now? was the 172 number incorrect or did he really put on 38 lbs?
It had to be wrong. He was listed at190 in high school. What’s weird to me is his height. He claims 6’4 listed at 6’2. Doesn’t matter just strange

that was my biggest takeaway ... i'm not cb coach, but dropping about 10 would do him wonders
Also take roster #s with grains of salt. Looking at reek on the field last year, he maybe started the season at 202 or it was weight from Frosh year, but I think he played actually closer to 220. Dude was huge and looked big on a big defense, no way he was 202 during the season. So if he was at 220, he actually has lost 6lbs. I do think closer to 200 is his $ weight but without knowing where that first # came from it makes the gain/loss somewhat irrelevant.

Advertisement
OL will fluctuate with summer conditioning and fall camp. Couch needs to find 5-10lbs. The LBs should look/play faster this season with smaller but quicker guys. Hedley has NFL size right now.

The one curious one is Elijah down 5. I was wondering if the plan was he'd gain to play inside. But it looks like his weight is dictating a big DE, which honestly I'd prefer more than the 240 guys we've recruited in the past who don't hold up as well against the run.

Also, I wouldn't flyspeck Washington and Walker losing weight. Body composition means a lot more than weight. I don't think either is positioned for reps this year so they can focus on trying to add good weight this season and next offseason and hope they turn into athletic, big guys that can move.

The one curious one is Elijah down 5. I was wondering if the plan was he'd gain to play inside. But it looks like his weight is dictating a big DE, which honestly I'd prefer more than the 240 guys we've recruited in the past who don't hold up as well against the run.

Also, I wouldn't flyspeck Washington and Walker losing weight. Body composition means a lot more than weight. I don't think either is positioned for reps this year so they can focus on trying to add good weight this season and next offseason and hope they turn into athletic, big guys that can move.
Not sure I agree on Washington and Walker. I agree that gaining bad weight could set them back and will reserve judgment until we can actually see them live. They are both just starting Year 2 with the Program so there is no need to panic or jump to conclusions. However, they are both players that needed to gain weight (light in the ****) and strength to compete at this level. Losing weight is not a good sign, IMO.

Hopefully, they use the off-season to get stronger and bigger as they have the potential to be very good (especially Walker).

Advertisement
Will gaynors weight gain allow him to snap the ball correctly
Yeah, big guys start huffin and puffin when they got to start bending over a lot. Blood might run to his head and get dizzy. When you start to see hm start to shake and whobble while waiting for the snap count you know he’s n trouble. Then he straightens up and gets lightheaded from sudden blood pressure drop we got a problem right up the middle. All of this started with shotgun. If you ask me this all could be all avoided if we go back to taking snap under center the way I ts supposed to be. Ever watch Tom Brady?

Not sure I agree on Washington and Walker. I agree that gaining bad weight could set them back and will reserve judgment until we can actually see them live. They are both just starting Year 2 with the Program so there is no need to panic or jump to conclusions. However, they are both players that needed to gain weight (light in the ****) and strength to compete at this level. Losing weight is not a good sign, IMO.

Hopefully, they use the off-season to get stronger and bigger as they have the potential to be very good (especially Walker).
Agree 💯. They should be adding the freshman 15 if anything. Losing 10lbs is crazy unless they had a tough time with Covid. Feed these boys already. Give them a key to Big Dons room to eat his food while he’s at class...something.

Agree 💯. They should be adding the freshman 15 if anything. Losing 10lbs is crazy unless they had a tough time with Covid. Feed these boys already. Give them a key to Big Dons room to eat his food while he’s at class...something.
It could also be reshaping their bodies. Cut the bad weight before adding good weight. Oline especially I tend to see kids come in with lots of baby fat that in HS didn't matter as they were just bigger than the other kids and it takes time to lose that weight, then add it back on.

I always liked Eli as a SDE. Kid is incredibly quick & agile for being a naturally thicker, heavier set body type. I wouldn't wanna put too much weight on him & mitigate his greatest area of strength. I like him at 280 setting the edge for us consistently.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah I wouldn’t read to much into this. Only positive is that it seems like everyone’s weight has remained relatively consistent compared to last year which means guys are at their “normal” or ideal playing weight. Which makes sense because we have an older team and clearly a better S&C than we did under Gus.

Advertisement
Back