Off-season Rank 'Em: Hurricane Qbs since 2002

Just looked back, didn't realize Berlin went 12 TD and 17 picks in 2003. Yikes.
Our QB's have been so bad. It's too bad Kaaya was under Golden. Kid could have been worshipped after that line of QB's

Advertisement
Berlin is the only won to beat an FSU team that finished better than 7-6.

Although you could say he wasted the best defense in modern college history in 2003.

Whole lotta meh...on that list.

Berlin was a tough call for me. I watched every game of his live and he was awful his first year. That said, the UF game is a top-3 all time for me, so I struggled with his ranking. Ultimately I had to go with his total body of work, which for me included utterly wasting a championship-level team. JMO.

Brock Berlin must be the most overrated player in the history of this program.

Love him for the comeback against UF but he gets way too much credit for going 3-0 against FSU. Defense and special teams won those games.

Okay folks, gonna try and do a position a day or a week or something, but for now - let's see your ranking for Miami starting QBs post-Dorsey. Here's mine:

1. Brad Kaaya
2. Jacory Harris
3. Stephen Morris
4. Brock Berlin
5. Kyle Wright
6. Robert Marve
7. Kirby Freeman

1. Kaaya
2. Berlin
3. Jacory
4. Morris
5. Wright
6. Freeman
7. Marve

Advertisement

Love him for the comeback against UF but he gets way too much credit for going 3-0 against FSU. Defense and special teams won those games.

We were way more talented than FSU in those days so beating them felt like a given at times. Now I appreciate it more. Totally agree that Berlin is judged on one game. I better change my list.

Who do I want to go into battle with. This is my list:

1. Berlin
2. Morris
3. Kaaya
4. Jacory
5. Wright
6. Freeman
7. Marve

Who do I want on my fantasy team

1. Kaaya
2. Morris
3. Jacory
4. Berlin
5. Wright
6. Marve
7. Freeman

Last edited:
Berlin in 3 games against FSU threw for 2 tds and 6 ints. Both of those TDs were screen passes. One to Jarret Payton in the rain game and one to Sinorice Moss.

Talent wise and most consistent - kaaya #1 by far

Berlin- beat the rivals ALOT so it matters a good bit.

The 4th quarters vs UF in 03 and FSU in 04 don't happen with Kaaya

In all fairness, with Kaaya against UF we probably wouldn't have been digging out of a hole. Berlin was putrid for 2.5 quarters. The comeback was amazing, but let's not forget why we were in that hole to begin with.

Advertisement
1. N'Kosi Perry
2a. Brock Berlin
2b. Jacory Harris
4. Kirby Freeman
5. Brad Kaaya
6. Stephen Morris
7. Kyle Wright

Very good points on Brock Berlin bc of it, i have updated my official list as follows:

1. N'Kosi Perry
2. Jacory Harris
3. Brad Kaaya
4a. Brock Berlin
4b. Stephen Morris
5. Kirby Freeman
6. Kyle Wright

Last edited:

In all fairness, with Kaaya against UF we probably wouldn't have been digging out of a hole. Berlin was putrid for 2.5 quarters. The comeback was amazing, but let's not forget why we were in that hole to begin with.

Kaaya wouldve put us in a whole that he, unlike Berlin, wouldnt have been able to dig us out of.

Advertisement
Brock "b
Brock "Big Balls" Berlin over "Blinkin'" Brad all day.

And UF wasn't the only game He was part of a comeback, He also led us back vs FSU,WVU, & Louisville in 03'...though He had a lil' help from Hester vs Louisville.

This. Berlin deserves ZERO credit for us beating FSU. He only hurt us, not helped us.

Here's the real reason why those Brock Berlin teams beat FSU

[video=youtube;o3CEeTzzCow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3CEeTzzCow[/video]

Advertisement
1. Anybody who doesn't put Wright dead last forgets how awful he was. Wright is the worst QB in cfb history. He was far worse than even Freeman was.
2. Berlin is ridiculously overrated by the fanbase. His comebacks occurred because he was an unbelievably awful QB for 3 quarters who put Miami in big holes. He also often got bailed out by the defense and running game.
3. God this is an awful list. Stephen Morris is probably the 2nd best QB after Kaaya.

Last edited:
Berlin was a tough call for me. I watched every game of his live and he was awful his first year. That said, the UF game is a top-3 all time for me, so I struggled with his ranking. Ultimately I had to go with his total body of work, which for me included utterly wasting a championship-level team. JMO.

Berlin is a complicated call, agreed, but here is where I land on this one:

Aside from the comeback in 2003 against UF, he was mediocre that year.

If you look at the performances he gave in 2004, it was like a different QB. He finished that year with a 2600+ yards, a 22:7 TD:INT ratio, and he beats 4 top 20 teams, including FSU and UF.

In the 3 games we lost? he played lights out against Carolina (330 yards, 2 TD's and no picks). Against VT (who was ranked 10th) he didn't have a great game, but neither did anyone else, and we still almost won. Against Clemson, we took a lead into the second half, and our defense laid an egg and lost the game for us allowing 3 long TD drives, including one in OT.

Pretty good year, in my opinion, from our QB, which is why he gets the nod.

Let's put it this way, if we get the same quality of QB play this year, anyone not take that?

Kaaya wouldve put us in a whole that he, unlike Berlin, wouldnt have been able to dig us out of.

That's such crap. You people are mad at Kaaya for not winning those big games with Golden specials while comparing him to QB's using some of the best teams of all-time. 2003 had Hall of Fame talent on it. Kaaya throwing 405 yards vs FSU was the only reason we were in that game at the end. He even got us the lead in the 4th just for it to get blown. This year Kaaya was great until getting his molar knocked out and still threw a game tying touchdown at the end.

Another point. Had Kaaya played against those latter year Bowden teams, he'd possibly be 3-0 against FSU. FSU was really bad towards the end of Bowden's reign. Kaaya got FSU while they were a championship caliber team, and gave us a chance to win when we were outmanned. Now I'm not a huge Kaaya guy myself, but you simply can not compare FSU of 2008 to FSU of 2014-16. It's apples to elephants.

Advertisement
Back