OC Thomas Brown likes skill position depth

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
TBrown.jpg

While discussing the importance have having a quarterback who is in such command of the offense, Canes offensive coordinator Thomas Brown also had a promising outlook for the playmakers on Miami’s offense.

The former UGA running back and position coach for the Canes delved into his stable of backs, which he believes has the depth even without Trayone Gray.

Mark Walton, Joseph Yearby, Gus Edwards, and even freshman Travis Homer could all take snaps for the Canes this season and Brown seems to comfortable with any of them in the game.

“I feel really good about four of the guys we’re going to have as far as carrying the football. We’ll see once the game starts – practice is definitely different than the games.

On the outside, Stacy Coley (who could still be facing suspension but is not likely to be dismissed) gives the Hurricanes a dynamic presence. Braxton Berrios is the healthiest of his career and Malcolm Lewis has emerged in his fifth season in Coral Gables. David Njoku and Chris Herndon offer Richt multiple weapons at the tight end position. Brown weighed in on the skill position players.

“Our depth at tight end and how versatile those guys can be can help us out from an offensive standpoint. At receiver, we have some guys who can help us out and make some plays one-on-one and be explosive down the field and hopefully create some big plays for us this fall,” he said.

Brown noted the importance of having running backs that he believes can play on all three downs. He said that they teach their backs to “not only run the ball effectively on first and second down, but also catch the ball effectively out of the backfield on third down or even protect the quarterback”.

Brown described fullback Marquez Williams’ role in the offense saying, “his main job is going to be moving linebackers – be physical and strike guys, but also be able to cover them up.”

The young tight ends – Mike Irvin II and Jovan Haskins have shown that they physically belong at Miami. Brown is working on getting them mentally prepared for the games.

“Those guys are spinning – they’re still trying to find out which way is up right now. But I think those guys have shown some flashes of having some great talent, great ability, but it’s gotta be more consistent and make sure those guys dive into their playbooks and not just do the bare minimum, but master the offense,” Brown explained.

Advertisement
If they announce that Coley is suspended for anything more than 1 or 2 games I won't attend any games this year.

If they announce that Coley is suspended for anything more than 1 or 2 games I won't attend any games this year.

Thought I seen he was still practicing with the 1st team its now game week if he was going to be suspended I doubt he would be on first team O

Thought I seen he was still practicing with the 1st team its now game week if he was going to be suspended I doubt he would be on first team O

I don't think it's safe to assume anything anymore but I hope you're right.

Advertisement
I would like to see what Coach Brown thinks of the difference between how things were done at UGA and how they are doing them at Miami.

Advertisement
All reports have shown that the case is closed from Miami. Not sure why people are so worried about Coley they would have said by now

Not to mention that's a pretty weak move

You must show up, the ceremonies naming the stadium in your honor will be off the charts.

I'll have to change my username. If they drop the hammer on Coley out of nowhere like they did with the other two then they don't deserve my business.

Didn't Pete say Coley was safe the other day?

I'll tell you one thing for certain: If there's any question remaining about whether or not he took impermissible benefits, he won't play until that's resolved. Last thing we need is to forfeit wins he played in if he's later determined to have accepted impermissible benefits.

Didn't Pete say Coley was safe the other day?

I'll tell you one thing for certain: If there's any question remaining about whether or not he took impermissible benefits, he won't play until that's resolved. Last thing we need is to forfeit wins he played in if he's later determined to have accepted impermissible benefits.

Especially against these JV teams we are opening with and should beat comfortably with our second string.

Advertisement

You must show up, the ceremonies naming the stadium in your honor will be off the charts.

I'll have to change my username. If they drop the hammer on Coley out of nowhere like they did with the other two then they don't deserve my business.
KickUoutLika doesn't have the same panache. I hope you keep rokulika.

Advertisement

Well given that UM standard procedure wil be to announce his suspension during the warm up of the game I see why some are worried. I personally think we are in the clear given the announcement when they kicked AQM and Grace off. BTW I hate it for grace more than AQM. I have always been fond of his skills set and was excited to see him used in this scheme.

Really classy that they will allow them to finish their degree. I know it dont help the team but it doesn't also destroy any future they may have after FB.

I bet your mom drug you through the grocery store on a leash too.

Do you tailgate before home games?

Nope...4hr drive there. Slam a few drinks, a dutch and walk in the gate
You put your head under the covers and inhale a fart before games? I've heard of weird rituals, but that one takes the cake.

Advertisement
Back