OC Thomas Brown discusses RB rotation after FAMU

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
For the first time since 1987 against Cincinnati, the Hurricanes had three running backs each go over 100 yards, as Mark Walton, Joseph Yearby, and Gus Edwards crossed the century mark.

Offensive coordinator Thomas Brown explained how he projects the rotation will work out. Yearby and Walton split a majority of the reps in the first half and into the third quarter until the starters were pulled and Edwards carried the load.

“I tried to roll Joe and Mark pretty evenly throughout the first half and then Gus got in for a couple reps to spell those guys. When we got up, we were able to get more reps to some guys and Gus took off on a well-blocked play. He had fresh legs and we want to keep them all fresh,” he said.

“Primarily going into each game, I will probably play the top two guys for a majority of the reps,” Brown said. “Both of those guys have shown to be equally as productive on the field, but I think Gus demands the opportunity to be able to be on the field and I’m going to some things from a game plan standpoint to try to get him involved without having to take somebody else off the field.”

Canes fullback Marquez Williams made his debut on Saturday night and Brown broke down his importance to the offensive unit.

“It’s hard to find a guy that has the size to play fullback, but more importantly the mindset to play it. There are very few guys who are tough enough to go in there down after down against 240-plus pound linebackers and not be selfish because they aren’t touching the football. They are basically glorified linemen,” Brown said.

Brown noted that Travis Homer showed him “the exact same thing he’s been doing in practice.”

“I said it from day one when he got here, he’s extremely focused and locked in individual. He is very relentless. If you watched him on special teams throughout the day, I think he is probably our best special teams player. The cat doesn’t get tired and doesn’t quit,” Brown said.

Advertisement
“Primarily going into each game, I will probably play the top two guys for a majority of the reps,” Brown said. “Both of those guys have shown to be equally as productive on the field, but I think Gus demands the opportunity to be able to be on the field and I’m going to some things from a game plan standpoint to try to get him involved without having to take somebody else off the field.”

Most interesting part of the interview.

I was watching the game on a 4 inch screen so I really could not derive much from it. Im wondering what others thought of Travis Homer? I believe got some mop up time carries. Wondering what folks saw of him.

Advertisement

I always thought he would be moved to fullback and used lie Jerome Bettis or Davenport

I hate to be "that guy" but...

I've still never seen anything from Gus Edwards that would lead me to believe he can be a productive back against the top half of our schedule. Dude plays way smaller than his size and his burst is average at best. Even as a blocker, I dont ever remember being "wowed" by him...ever.

Yeah, i noticed that too!!!

Gus at FB or H-back, ya think?

It's happening isn't it...Gus lining up at fullback and running wheel routes isn't just a wet dream anymore.

Advertisement
I honestly thought he had the best burst. Does he look like a freshman? Yeah, he's not a thick as the older guys, but that kid is fast. And for a freshman he is a good sized kid. He flashed on specials and on the carries he got. I am excited about that kids future here. I just recall seeing number 24 around the ball a lot during special teams.

D$, I found that really interesting too. Gus is an interesting player. I am not sure exactly what his skill set is. But he seems to break good runs. It will be interesting to see if the coaches go with the "hot hand" mentality with the backs. I thought Yearby was that guy saturday. His style fit the cut back lanes, and he broke a few nice ones. Where as walton did get shut down on a couple early.

Obviously, they all looked good against FAMU. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out over the course of the season....

While he can't play blocking FB, some passing game matchups could get us these results...

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 1.40.53 PM.jpg

Do you think this means using him out of the backfield, and getting him space like you might an H-back or FB?

Advertisement
Interesting to see how the accomplish getting Gus on the field with another starting back. I'm assuming they split out Yearby or Walton with Gus in the backfield. Hope they find creative ways to make both threats on a play.

I hate to be "that guy" but...

I've still never seen anything from Gus Edwards that would lead me to believe he can be a productive back against the top half of our schedule. Dude plays way smaller than his size and his burst is average at best. Even as a blocker, I dont ever remember being "wowed" by him...ever.

Gus just has an ugly running style.

Advertisement
Travis Homer looked great outside of the fumble. His burst and vision were attention grabbing, and he absolutely attacks the hole.

Reminds me of a young Frank Gore as far as fearlessly attacking the line of scrimmage. He also takes pride in his blocking.

I was watching the game on a 4 inch screen so I really could not derive much from it. Im wondering what others thought of Travis Homer? I believe got some mop up time carries. Wondering what folks saw of him.

he looked like our fastest back that we have ...he is pretty good.

Travis Homer looked great outside of the fumble. His burst and vision were attention grabbing, and he absolutely attacks the hole.

Reminds me of a young Frank Gore as far as fearlessly attacking the line of scrimmage. He also takes pride in his blocking.

He was around the ball a lot on special teams too.

Most people will just remember the fumble (rightfully so) but he was about to stroll into the endzone from 8 yards out on that play. Great burst, good pad level, doesn't have the wiggle of Yearby but hits the hole very fast. Thought he did well and I'd love to see more of him over the next two games.

Plus, kid mopped up a punter on ST in his first game as a true freshman. Not too shabby.

Advertisement
Back