OC Candidates

Advertisement
You're severely underrating Yost's ability to adapt to his personnel & field a balanced attack. At Utah State during his 2 seasons they were one of only four teams nationally to boast a top-20 passing attack and a top-35 rushing offense.

I'm not really underrating him.

He's a very good OC. The style of offense and focus on the screen game just isn't what I'd like to see.

The type of offense he runs, while incredibly productive, has a ceiling.

The reality is, that ceiling for the offense is so much higher than our current status, I, personally, don't care. If you're running screens all day...you're going to be just fine versus most teams, but the big boys sniff that **** out like blood hounds and eat you alive. He's been around offenses like Pinkel's, like Leach's and its super productive, but its also a bit soft. Mario's OC (before he took the UNLV job) Marcus Arroyo ran screens all day long...and look at what happened when they played Auburn -- or read some NFL scouting reports on Justin Herbert or see what Blaine Gabbert did.

This is not a criticism for a dilapidated program like ours. He'll do great here if he comes - we'll probably break school passing records and have the biggest improvement among all FBS teams in total offense, passing offense, and yards per play. But, there is a bit of a ceiling to whatever he does if/when we ever get back to playing respectable football.

Also, he doesn't really run the football as a playcaller...and this is a big problem for me, but we suck so bad, I'm willing to overlook what I'd ideally want for something that looks modern. I'd rather go 8-4 or whatever throwing for a bajillion yards and scoring a ton of points then going 8-4 with whatever the fvck we've been doing over the past two decades.

In a perfect world we find an OC that pushes the ball down field and also runs the ball at a pretty decent clip (~40 times a game?). If we can't get that...well...I'll settle for Yost or Graham Harrell types that just chuck it all day.
His Offense was pretty much evenly split at Utah St....200+yds Rushing per game...250+ passing....ended up scoring 47 points per game...2nd in the Country....

His Offense was pretty much evenly split at Utah St....200+yds Rushing per game...250+ passing....ended up scoring 47 points per game...2nd in the Country....

I don't care about YARDS. I've discussed this in depth on this forum a lot.

Rushing ATTEMPTS is a very important metric to look at for a myriad of reasons I don't want to have to type out for an umpteenth time.

Magical number for me is somewhere in the 40 attempts area. Give or take a carry or two annually so I don't nitpick.

Advertisement
Appreciate it.

And yeah there's lots of names that have been floated out that make me wince...

Pretty much anybody who's not a Spread guy (like Matt Canada or Whipple or some sh*t lol) & Major fckin Applewhite.

Applesauce is a horrendous play caller & is one of the dumbest OC's in the business, yes he's a Spread guy, but he's a total moron. Anybody mentioning Applewhite has no idea what they'd be in for if we fcked up & hired him.

Also, Tim Beck is a name I would hesitate to bring in, he got canned at Texas under Tom Herman for having too basic of a Spread offense. Their offense was good, that's not why they went 7-5 this year, but he's a very simplistic play caller, no creativity at all, just bland & conservative, even for a Spread guy.

Bro, I'm convinced Canada is going to be in the fold once we strike out on some of the bigger or popular names that have been thrown about. That's assuming we even go after them.

He has faux selling points that will appeal to a moron like Blake and a p-r ***** like Manny.

We got a former head coach who helped build LSU's offense!

Folks have to remember coaching at Miami requires, actually, living in Miami. And every coach isn’t interested in that life-style.

They also have to be willing to work for Diaz.

That combination means there is a limited pool of quality candidates.

Not to be the killjoy, but I suggest y’all brace yourselves for Major Applewhite.

Diaz is going to hire someone he knows. He’s going to go safe with his next OC. His rolodex isn’t big enough to find a hidden gem. It is what it is.

Applewhite is light years better than Enos, so I'm not sure why you say it like its a negative. He runs a modern, uptempo spread offense. That is what we want.

Not my first choice but the name doesn't matter so much as what scheme the guy runs and who he'll bring in to coach OL

Advertisement
Why hasn't anyone else been fired? If this has been in the works for some time then I would have expected it all to happen in swift blow.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Your premise is a bit flawed my friend.

Lashlee is not a strict Air Raid OC, he uses a mixture of the Air Raid passing concepts & combines it with a Spread inside zone rushing attack, which is essentially what Malzahn & Norvell both runs, which is why Malzahn hired Dillingham from Norvell at Memphis for this season & why Norvell got him right back once he went to FSU. They're all running virtually the same offense with different variations in sequences.

Lash is not a Sonny Dykes disciple, he doesn't come from under his tutelage as a play caller, he comes from Pat Sullivan at Samford who came from TCU in the 90's & UAB in the early 00's. Lashlee's mentor as a play caller is Malzahn at Auburn given their Arkansas backgrounds.

You can't judge Lashlee based off what Dykes did at Cal, Lashlee never coaches there & had nothing to do with their system. They're two different types of coaches.
Anyone connected to Malzahn is a hard no

Barry, Rumph & Stubbs are supposed to be next, could be happening between now & next week.
Rumph gone but yeah don't let me down with the others.

I imagine this will be a sh*tshow. He was late to the party with this move (probably to save recruiting class) and now will have to scramble to fill a staff. What could go wrong???

Advertisement
Back