OC Candidates

Advertisement
Imo that would be a bad hire
I'm looking at it this way would the big names risk coming here in a make or break year with no Oline. Manny out if we don't get 8 or 9 wins next year. Chip Long come in and get a great Oline class we are better prepared to woo Manny replacement. Not saying it's a home run hire by any means. Just looking at the big picture. Don't care about great concepts and flashy offense. Get the Oline right as quick as possible is my point. Also don't think Yost wants a big job. Could have had one for years. Rather be the mad scientist at a small school with full control over O. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm looking at it this way would the big names risk coming here in a make or break year with no Oline. Manny out if we don't get 8 or 9 wins next year. Chip Long come in and get a great Oline class we are better prepared to woo Manny replacement. Not saying it's a home run hire by any means. Just looking at the big picture. Don't care about great concepts and flashy offense. Get the Oline right as quick as possible is my point. Also don't think Yost wants a big job. Could have had one for years. Rather be the mad scientist at a small school with full control over O. Hope I'm wrong.

I feel ya.

I agree about yost, hope I’m wrong. But the staff is at least hitting him up.

Advertisement
Anecdotally, it seems most Texas Tech fans would be happy to see Yost leave.

This fansite article seems to rationalize the performance: https://wreckemred.com/2019/12/25/t...avid-yost-not-getting-enough-credit-for-2019/

To be fair, he was working with absolutely nothing on the offensive side of the ball. We think we have no talent??? Well their receivers and quarterbacks were truly egregious. He had one below average year and had to live up to the expectations of replacing Kingsbury. Those are tough shoes to fill. His full resume should be evaluated instead of one cherry picked year where his offense still performed decent.

Yeah...lets forget what he did at Utah St...and what he did with a slew of QBs at Missouri...Oregon...and..Washington St...
It could just also be TT fans being spoiled by how good Kingsbury was. I haven't watched his offense enough to make an informed decision, I'm just passing along some anecdotes from his current fanbase.

Yeah...lets forget what he did at Utah St...and what he did with a slew of QBs at Missouri...Oregon...and..Washington St...
Felt that. My only question would be why does he bounce around so much and why he hasn't taken a HC job at a small school. Not shading him at all. You probably know alot more about him than I do. I just keep hearing he is all world yet no school bends over backwards to keep him and no big schools "seem" to be persuing him. Maybe its about him not his talent as a coach.

Advertisement
To be fair, he was working with absolutely nothing on the offensive side of the ball. We think we have no talent??? Well their receivers and quarterbacks were truly egregious. He had one below average year and had to live up to the expectations of replacing Kingsbury. Those are tough shoes to fill. His full resume should be evaluated instead of one cherry picked year where his offense still performed decent.
Yeah, that seems to be the point the fansite article makes. Though I wonder, if he comes here, whether Jett Duffey would follow.

Felt that. My only question would be why does he bounce around so much and why he hasn't taken a HC job at a small school. Not shading him at all. You probably know alot more about him than I do. I just keep hearing he is all world yet no school bends over backwards to keep him and no big schools "seem" to be persuing him. Maybe its about him not his talent as a coach.
Alot of very successful Position Coaches and Coordinators have bounced around...You typically learn more from different environments and HCs...I know being a young Chef yrs ago...that by me bouncing around every few yrs, was Critical in my growth as a Chef.

Advertisement
Alot of very successful Position Coaches and Coordinators have bounced around...You typically learn more from different environments and HCs...I know being a young Chef yrs ago...that by me bouncing around every few yrs, was Critical in my growth as a Chef.
Great point.

Advertisement
@Liberty City El I agree on what you say about Fedora above. I think he would dominate that relationship. I think he would immediately end any drama on our offense, but, as you know, we need many more changes to get this thing turned around. I also think some of the lesser known OCs you've mentioned might be more inclined to take a chance and come here rather than Fedora or Yost. Whoever we get better be able to fix our OL recruiting and their performance.
Fedora didn’t seem to have many answers offensively after his OC got a HC gig a couple years ago. Fedora as an actual OC has had up and down results.

Yost would be an incredible hire. What do people see that they don't like?

The type of offense he runs, while incredibly productive, has a ceiling.

The reality is, that ceiling for the offense is so much higher than our current status, I, personally, don't care. If you're running screens all day...you're going to be just fine versus most teams, but the big boys sniff that **** out like blood hounds and eat you alive. He's been around offenses like Pinkel's, like Leach's and its super productive, but its also a bit soft. Mario's OC (before he took the UNLV job) Marcus Arroyo ran screens all day long...and look at what happened when they played Auburn -- or read some NFL scouting reports on Justin Herbert or see what Blaine Gabbert did.

This is not a criticism for a dilapidated program like ours. He'll do great here if he comes - we'll probably break school passing records and have the biggest improvement among all FBS teams in total offense, passing offense, and yards per play. But, there is a bit of a ceiling to whatever he does if/when we ever get back to playing respectable football.

Also, he doesn't really run the football as a playcaller...and this is a big problem for me, but we suck so bad, I'm willing to overlook what I'd ideally want for something that looks modern. I'd rather go 8-4 or whatever throwing for a bajillion yards and scoring a ton of points then going 8-4 with whatever the fvck we've been doing over the past two decades.

In a perfect world we find an OC that pushes the ball down field and also runs the ball at a pretty decent clip (~40 times a game?). If we can't get that...well...I'll settle for Yost or Graham Harrell types that just chuck it all day.

Larry Fedora is an ******* that thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. He likely also likes watching his wife get fvcked by all sorts of men.

If you're cool with Fedora, you got some low expectations.

Would he be better than Major Applewhite? Probably...but **** we are in the swamp if that is what we've got available to us. Applewhite has a cute little wife at home and he's off ******* fatties in his spare time. I got no time for that kind of loser. If you got an 8 at home, why are you off ******* 3s at work? Go find somewhere else to work, dweeb.

Advertisement
Back