OC Candidates

Advertisement
Nah lashlee isn’t a air raid guy. He came up under malzahn. Now working with dykes the last couple years he likely has learned the air raid system too
I literally said his offense isn't air raid, that's my point. Dykes also has consistently said his offense isn't air raid. That's because they actually try to striker a balance between run and pass. Mine Leach which is 100% air raid doesn't. There is a slight difference between the systems dykes and Leach run. Air Raid implies all you do is pass, but that isn't what they do. It is a "___ Raid" system just not fully air raid was my point

Last edited:
Your premise is a bit flawed my friend.

Lashlee is not a strict Air Raid OC, he uses a mixture of the Air Raid passing concepts & combines it with a Spread inside zone rushing attack, which is essentially what Malzahn & Norvell both runs, which is why Malzahn hired Dillingham from Norvell at Memphis for this season & why Norvell got him right back once he went to FSU. They're all running virtually the same offense with different variations in sequences.

Lash is not a Sonny Dykes disciple, he doesn't come from under his tutelage as a play caller, he comes from Pat Sullivan at Samford who came from TCU in the 90's & UAB in the early 00's. Lashlee's mentor as a play caller is Malzahn at Auburn given their Arkansas backgrounds.

You can't judge Lashlee based off what Dykes did at Cal, Lashlee never coaches there & had nothing to do with their system. They're two different types of coaches.
I understand all that. But you missed my point. I know Lashlee came from under malzahn and doesn't run the straight air raid, I literally said that.

What I am saying is that although dykes isn't calling the plays, this offense is still what he does for the most part. It's still his general philosophy. Even at Cal he tried to run the ball a lot and have that balance. He wasn't really like Mike Leach who just passed every play. That's why Lashlee fits in with what his philosophy is. And Dykes wasn't the play caller any year with Cal nor those years with LTech, Tony Franklin was. And look at the offensive success they had (more than this yr under Lashlee). And guess where Tony Franklin is now? OC/QB coach at Middle Tennessee State. Hes had more success than Lashlee has, and essentially running the same philosophy. He even coached up the eventual #1 pick Jared Goff, and another high draft pick Davis Webb. **** SMU was a better offense Under Dykes the year before Lashlee arrived than they were either 2 yrs under Lashlee. So why Lashlee over Tiny Franklin?

Offensive success is just what Dykes brings. It may not have **** to do with OC. The only reason to sign Lashlee is you want the scheme. But There is nothing inherently special about his coaching of the scheme though. Like is he an elite teacher of that scheme? Is he a top recruiter? Doubtful. You could probably get a bunch of cheaper options that bring the same thing to the table

Advertisement
Chip Long all day. I get wanting the Big 12 and Pac 12 guys. But the Big 10 spread OCs usually have better Olines. Chip Long has recruiting ties in the Midwest after his stent at Notre Dame. Spread OC will make the most of the talent available in South Florida. Won't matter if we still have issues at Oline. The real Oline talent comes from the Midwest. Long also runs a power running game out of the spread. If not long grab an Oline Coach/ OC. Oline has to be the focus for the next two cycles. Elite QBs want to be protected. Elite skill position players want to play with an Elite Qb. Just my opinion.

Nah. I'm not high on Rich Rod, or Perry, or Tate, or Jarren.

I would take Rich Rod over Enos obviously, but I'd rather get a new young guy who just wants to sit in the film room all day & draw up big plays. We need a X's & O's lab technician type, I think you guys want a splash name hire but the truth is we need less ego & more guys who don't give AF about anything except trying to prove their worth...

And that goes for both Coaches & players. Bring me a guy that doesn't have any glitz or glamour to his name, just a X's & O's guru that dedicates all his time to transforming Offenses, not guys who just see us as a stepping stone to another job.
With the lack of OL e expected again next year, the OC has to be an X's and O's guy. Need mismatches, quick strikes and YES a guy that wants to draw up plays in the dirt. Need to find a way to allow the running backs lanes and matches against LB's. Easy for others to mix us up when the fvck are we going to do the same?

Advertisement
Your premise is a bit flawed my friend.

Lashlee is not a strict Air Raid OC, he uses a mixture of the Air Raid passing concepts & combines it with a Spread inside zone rushing attack, which is essentially what Malzahn & Norvell both runs, which is why Malzahn hired Dillingham from Norvell at Memphis for this season & why Norvell got him right back once he went to FSU. They're all running virtually the same offense with different variations in sequences.

Lash is not a Sonny Dykes disciple, he doesn't come from under his tutelage as a play caller, he comes from Pat Sullivan at Samford who came from TCU in the 90's & UAB in the early 00's. Lashlee's mentor as a play caller is Malzahn at Auburn given their Arkansas backgrounds.

You can't judge Lashlee based off what Dykes did at Cal, Lashlee never coaches there & had nothing to do with their system. They're two different types of coaches.

I love Lashlees resume and balance to the systems. They all run completely different offenses , from Sullivan, malzahn and now Dykes.

He also uses a lot of power run with his spread , so there’d at least be some physicality.

Advertisement
Fedora or buddy from SMU and manny needs to bring in another mind on the offensive side
The one thing I am worried about with a name OC would be will we have money left for other assistants. Fedora would probably be able to put together the better offensive staff. Probably need to get a young inovative OC then souround him with talented coaches. Worried about paying a name guy then taking what we can at the other assistant roles.

Im sure you mean defensive , and there was talks with somebody to help that side out too. Not sure what’s the latest but manny seems to be trying to get help on both sides.
Nope..I have no issue with the defensive structure. We need a play maker inside tho. On offense we need a OC and a co OC. Diaz gave Enos too much authority on that side imo. So a OC and a seperate Assistant

The one thing I am worried about with a name OC would be will we have money left for other assistants. Fedora would probably be able to put together the better offensive staff. Probably need to get a young inovative OC then souround him with talented coaches. Worried about paying a name guy then taking what we can at the other assistant roles.
Nah..I’d rather get a guy like Fedora/un named person and let them figure out the Star they want or need. Great leaders always empower those trusted around them to follow the principles but have the freedom to pick who they work with. Especially in coaching.

Advertisement
Chip Long all day. I get wanting the Big 12 and Pac 12 guys. But the Big 10 spread OCs usually have better Olines. Chip Long has recruiting ties in the Midwest after his stent at Notre Dame. Spread OC will make the most of the talent available in South Florida. Won't matter if we still have issues at Oline. The real Oline talent comes from the Midwest. Long also runs a power running game out of the spread. If not long grab an Oline Coach/ OC. Oline has to be the focus for the next two cycles. Elite QBs want to be protected. Elite skill position players want to play with an Elite Qb. Just my opinion.
A lot of the ND fonts seem to not have nice words to say about him.

Imo that would be a bad hire

Would be an awful hire. I think he is a decent OC and would easily be the best X and O’s guy on this staff but not for what we have/our personnel. Too smash mouth etc. Long had the luxury of NFL picks at OL and thrived, here he won’t. He would be better than Enos but so would my 10 year old sister.

Advertisement
Back