OC Candidates

Advertisement
The type of offense he runs, while incredibly productive, has a ceiling.

The reality is, that ceiling for the offense is so much higher than our current status, I, personally, don't care. If you're running screens all day...you're going to be just fine versus most teams, but the big boys sniff that **** out like blood hounds and eat you alive. He's been around offenses like Pinkel's, like Leach's and its super productive, but its also a bit soft. Mario's OC (before he took the UNLV job) Marcus Arroyo ran screens all day long...and look at what happened when they played Auburn -- or read some NFL scouting reports on Justin Herbert or see what Blaine Gabbert did.

This is not a criticism for a dilapidated program like ours. He'll do great here if he comes - we'll probably break school passing records and have the biggest improvement among all FBS teams in total offense, passing offense, and yards per play. But, there is a bit of a ceiling to whatever he does if/when we ever get back to playing respectable football.

Also, he doesn't really run the football as a playcaller...and this is a big problem for me, but we suck so bad, I'm willing to overlook what I'd ideally want for something that looks modern. I'd rather go 8-4 or whatever throwing for a bajillion yards and scoring a ton of points then going 8-4 with whatever the fvck we've been doing over the past two decades.

In a perfect world we find an OC that pushes the ball down field and also runs the ball at a pretty decent clip (~40 times a game?). If we can't get that...well...I'll settle for Yost or Graham Harrell types that just chuck it all day.
I understand your point and that you prefer running more than he's shown but he's never had the running backs he'd have here. He's done very well everywhere he's been and I'm sure he'll adapt with more and better weapons.

After reading all of the numbers/info on Yost I’m honestly still not sure how I feel about him...

One our biggest issues for next year is RB will be our strength but OL the biggest weakness. I would love someone the runs a power spread like Lashlee or Gleeson. But our parts don’t match and one tear won’t matter

Advertisement
After this year I would really like to have Co-OCs(PCG maybe), with the most experienced having play calling duties. Woul love to pair some of the biggest names Bedenbaugh, Yost, Ruggiero, Lashlee with one of the FCS guys EL named on OP. Having two capable guys brainstorming on how to run an offense around our god awful OL and mediocre WRs/QBs would make me feel better

Is pairing 2 of Will Hall/Heckendorf/Lashlee/Rob Sale as co-OCs a pipe dream?

Last edited:
Why is Brady a pipe dream? And Yost and Wilson aren't? Yost is comfortable with his situation and he followed Wells to Texas Tech no way he's leaving to coach under Manny and Brady is one of the only candidates NOT an OC by title so it would be a promotion. Again, Miami has to make that guy say NO, offer him 2 mil, ah jet, whatever it takes....we have athletes, the national brand, the power 5 conference with an easy schedule. Why not?

Advertisement
If you're running screens all day...you're going to be just fine versus most teams, but the big boys sniff that **** out like blood hounds and eat you alive.

That's the point I have made for 20 years on forums like this. Football fans have an absurdly inflated opinion of screens. I guess it looks clever when it works. Cheap yards on nothing but a fooler play. Somehow that allows the brain to ignore the half dozen examples in which it not only doesn't work but gets wiped out, especially against top tier foes. That type of team salivates to diagnose screens and rotate forward to destroy them. It established the physical pecking order of the game.

I have mentioned many times that I jumped out of my chair as soon as the Canes ran that 3rd and 10 screen pass in the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. It was the most incompetent play call imaginable. Ohio State had annihilated screens all season. Now you are running a screen in a pivotal play of the championship game, and on third down? Incredible. That play will always be remembered for McGahee's injury. I'll always remember it as further evidence that college programs are vastly overrated in terms of situational football. Otherwise there is no chance you are stupid enough to run a third down screen against Ohio State.

I'm sure we'll see some third down screens when the big boy teams play. Same familiar dynamic. A small allotment will succeed, but the hefty percentage will not. We definitely would have fared better against the likes of FIU and Georgia Tech this season via screens. But if you want to establish as a national power you've got to throw the ball beyond the marker when it matters. Top teams do not allow cheap catch and run. That's why I have always said it is preferable for third down screens to fail from the outset. Don't get any idea in your coordinator's head that he can rely on them in more significant situations down the road.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m thinking Yost or Lashlee personally. But in all honesty, who has any idea what’s going on in Manny’s mind right now

That's the point I have made for 20 years on forums like this. Football fans have an absurdly inflated opinion of screens. I guess it looks clever when it works. Cheap yards on nothing but a fooler play. Somehow that allows the brain to ignore the half dozen examples in which it not only doesn't work but gets wiped out, especially against top tier foes. That type of team salivates to diagnose screens and rotate forward to destroy them. It established the physical pecking order of the game.

I have mentioned many times that I jumped out of my chair as soon as the Canes ran that 3rd and 10 screen pass in the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State. It was the most incompetent play call imaginable. Ohio State had annihilated screens all season. Now you are running a screen in a pivotal play of the championship game, and on third down? Incredible. That play will always be remembered for McGahee's injury. I'll always remember it as further evidence that college programs are vastly overrated in terms of situational football. Otherwise there is no chance you are stupid enough to run a third down screen against Ohio State.

I'm sure we'll see some third down screens when the big boy teams play. Same familiar dynamic. A small allotment will succeed, but the hefty percentage will not. We definitely would have fared better against the likes of FIU and Georgia Tech this season via screens. But if you want to establish as a national power you've got to throw the ball beyond the marker when it matters. Top teams do not allow cheap catch and run. That's why I have always said it is preferable for third down screens to fail from the outset. Don't get any idea in your coordinator's head that he can rely on them in more significant situations down the road.

You're preaching to the choir. Its not my kind of football. Nothing is more frustrating than 3rd and 2 and you're running a ******* bubble screen.

Run that **** versus Bowling Green? Alright, cool. Run that **** versus Clemson or Alabama or Auburn and its going to be 4th and 5, you're punting and eventually they are taking that **** to the house and you're losing the football game.

We see this **** play out in the CFP or the upper tier bowl games every year.

The top tier schools value downhill tackling from defensive backs because of this.

Top tier schools will run screens because they want to keep you honest or catch you slipping. Have your DBs play up and eventually try and beat you deep. Its a cheap jab just to keep you where they want you. Its not a focal point of the offense. The screen game is what poor schools do to try and maintain an advantage they wouldn't otherwise have if you played physical football. Rich schools do it to fvck with you.

At this point, Dooger...we are in agreement, but I'd be fine with some screen game offensive coordinator like Yost because I'm fine with being a respectable 9-3 or 10-2. Anything to get us some forward momentum that we could potentially capitalize on down the road with better recruiting classes and some Top 25 finishes and I'm probably fine.

The type of offense he runs, while incredibly productive, has a ceiling.

The reality is, that ceiling for the offense is so much higher than our current status, I, personally, don't care. If you're running screens all day...you're going to be just fine versus most teams, but the big boys sniff that **** out like blood hounds and eat you alive. He's been around offenses like Pinkel's, like Leach's and its super productive, but its also a bit soft. Mario's OC (before he took the UNLV job) Marcus Arroyo ran screens all day long...and look at what happened when they played Auburn -- or read some NFL scouting reports on Justin Herbert or see what Blaine Gabbert did.

This is not a criticism for a dilapidated program like ours. He'll do great here if he comes - we'll probably break school passing records and have the biggest improvement among all FBS teams in total offense, passing offense, and yards per play. But, there is a bit of a ceiling to whatever he does if/when we ever get back to playing respectable football.

Also, he doesn't really run the football as a playcaller...and this is a big problem for me, but we suck so bad, I'm willing to overlook what I'd ideally want for something that looks modern. I'd rather go 8-4 or whatever throwing for a bajillion yards and scoring a ton of points then going 8-4 with whatever the fvck we've been doing over the past two decades.

In a perfect world we find an OC that pushes the ball down field and also runs the ball at a pretty decent clip (~40 times a game?). If we can't get that...well...I'll settle for Yost or Graham Harrell types that just chuck it all day.

You're severely underrating Yost's ability to adapt to his personnel & field a balanced attack. At Utah State during his 2 seasons they were one of only four teams nationally to boast a top-20 passing attack and a top-35 rushing offense.

Advertisement
Back