OC Candidates

Advertisement
List should start and end with Bedenbaugh. Yost and the other big names aren't going to coach for Diaz if they think he's a dead man walking. Bedenbaugh hasn't called plays but wants to. It's an audition to show he can do more than coach OL. No lose proposition for him.
I brought him up in another thread it’s mildly concerning he hasn’t called plays before but plenty of experienced play callers have failed also.

He’s a top 10 recruiter in the country, that’s a documenting rating not an opinion.
And lastly he’s coached under Reilly, Stoops, Holgerson, and Leach all of which have run high powered offenses.

“Among some names being discussed: former North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, former Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez and Texas Tech offensive coordinator David Yost. All three offensive gurus run aggressive spread offenses that play in up-tempo systems.
Fedora was a candidate for Miami’s offensive coordinator vacancy last year, but Yost is believed to be Miami’s preferred choice, a source said. Diaz and James agree UM’s offense needs to be more aggressive.”

- Manny Navvaro
Texas Tech starting Qb in the transfer portal he might be better then what we have currently and knows Yost system. I’m intrigued to say the least!

Texas Tech starting Qb in the transfer portal he might be better then what we have currently and knows Yost system. I’m intrigued to say the least!
If you’re referring to Jet Duffey he’s a high character kid, but he’s not a P5 starting QB

@Liberty City El I agree on what you say about Fedora above. I think he would dominate that relationship. I think he would immediately end any drama on our offense, but, as you know, we need many more changes to get this thing turned around. I also think some of the lesser known OCs you've mentioned might be more inclined to take a chance and come here rather than Fedora or Yost. Whoever we get better be able to fix our OL recruiting and their performance.

Advertisement
Prepare yourself for a Rich Olsonesque circa 2006 type of hire.

No up and comer is going to derail his career trajectory coming into this situation. Hoping to hit a portal jackpot for a few OL(like our former apparent LT Tommy Kennedy) and TVD is ready to start at QB this fall. Other than Brevin Jordan we have no offensive threats.

That’s not even considering having to work under a HC who is clueless and likely won’t last another season.

Then again, may be just as good as a scenario as firing MD now and trusting BJ to hire anyone better.
Why not come here for a pay increase and if you do well - the record improves dramatically. If the offense does well and the defense doesn’t then Manny’s a dead man walking. Knowing BJ’s past that could parlay into you as the newest HC at Miami. I’d take that if I was an OC

Well, if we would've fired Enox after the FIU game we could've still got guys like Jeff Lebby or Zak Hill before they got hired at other programs.

I would probably go after Heckendorf, Lashlee, Collums & Kittley in that order.

I would like getting Fedora too, I was actually in favor of Fedora when he was a candidate that was in the running last year, it would be a very crazy & drama filled season with him though, because he's a big ego guy that no doubt wants to be a HC again & would have definitely clash with Diaz, which could be good thing lol. He would absolutely try to take over the team from under his watch lol.

I prefer Heckendorf though, but he's a Fedora student so I assume the offense would be very similar with either one.
Gotcha, thanks Liberty, how about sending the list of candidates over to Fake James since he will obviously have no clue who the frick they are nor will Manny at this point. If Yost is THE preferred option at this point, I’d gladly take him as well - especially if he can bring some offensive personnel with him to Miami. I think he demeanor would compliment Diaz’s well, and I think kids love to play for him.

Advertisement
@Liberty City El I agree on what you say about Fedora above. I think he would dominate that relationship. I think he would immediately end any drama on our offense, but, as you know, we need many more changes to get this thing turned around. I also think some of the lesser known OCs you've mentioned might be more inclined to take a chance and come here rather than Fedora or Yost. Whoever we get better be able to fix our OL recruiting and their performance.
Facts brotha!

Fedora is an Alpha & an old school Texas style coach, he would be disagreeing & interjecting at every step of the way. Those coaches meetings would be entertaining as ****, he would no doubt undermine Manny as much as possible lol.

And you're spot on with the OL recruiting, we need an OL coach who can land us some legit talent & actually develop them. I think the overall system we run will improve the OL a great deal, but there's still a huge issue with the lack of development with the kids we got.

I like Glen Elarbee as candidate for OL coach, another former Ark St guy, currently with Heupel at UCF & with with him at Mizzou, was also at OK St & Houston before that.

Finally that the plague of Enox is supposed to be gone, like many of you, we've all been compiling lists of OC's (did the same thing when Richt was here lol) I've unfortunately had to scratch a few names off due to them being hired elsewhere, guys like Jeff Lebby who was at UCF got hired at Ole Miss with Kiffin, Zak Hill who was at Boise St with Harsin got hired by Herm Edwards at AZ St, Chad Morris went to Auburn with Malzahn, Kendal Briles went to Arkansas with Sam Pittman, Kalen Deboer who was OC Fresno St with Tedford, then got hired at Indiana this year & got rehired at Fresno to be the HC to take over for Tedford who stepped down.

There's still the obvious names like Joe Brady (not really realistic imo), Kevin Johns who was a long time Indiana WR's/OC under Kevin Wilson, OC at TTech with Kingsbury & was at Memphis with Norvell this season, Glenn Thomas at Baylor, Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest, plus former HC's & current analysts in guys like Larry Fedora at Texas & Rich Rodriguez who was Ole Miss's OC for Matt Luke this season. TBH, I'm not high on Rich Rod like at all, he's obviously better than Enox, but that's not the barometer we need to judge by.

Well, here's my list for top OC's (considering others have already been hired at other teams):

Keith Heckendorf - Current OC for Ark St under Blake Anderson, he's a Larry Fedora disciple & coached alongside Seth Littrell at UNC when Marquise Williams carved us up in 2015, also was one of the main developers of Mitch Trubisky. Had Omar Bayless leading the nation in receiving yards at 1,653yds & receiving TD's with 17, plus 5th in catches. Also had Kirk Merritt with 70rec 806yds & 12TD's & had Jonathan Adams with 62rec 851yds & 5TD's as the 3rd WR in their offense. None of these guys were 4/5-star WR's coming out of HS. Is highly touted as a very smart young innovative X's & O's guy that is extremely detailed & is the next name coming up in the coaching industry as a play caller.

Rhett Lashlee -
Lashlee another Arkansas native started out as a GA under Houston Nutt & was at Auburn also an OC for Malzahn for 3 years including the year they went to the Natty against FSU. Had SMU with the 9th ranked offense in the country this season, they were 12th in passing & 41st in rushing. Obviously they got cracked in the Bowl game vs FAU, but their Offense was the main reason they won 10 games this year for the first time in 35 years since 1984. Their WR's were also among the tops in the nation in multiple categories, James Proche lead the nation in receptions.

Or, we could do like OK St did & go snatch a guy from down in the FCS for cheap while still getting high level production. Mike Gundy found Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg & hired him at OK St, he was OC under Gundy for 6 years before going to OH St this season as Passing Game Coordinator/QB's Coach & is the favorite to be the next OC at Texas. Gundy replaced Yurcich with Sean Gleeson from Princeton. Guys like Gus Malzahn, Art Briles, Chad Morris, had no prior college experience before they were hired, came straight from High school & even Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was a FCS guy that Dabo hired from Furman.

Point being, while our fans think you can only be a good OC if you're coaching at P5 school & playing in the playoffs, there's actually some really good play callers at the lower levels of football & the good HC's are smart enough to do their due diligence & find the right guys.

With that said, some good up & coming FCS OC's are:

Zach Kittley - A young innovative up coming X's & O's coach at Houston Baptist, has HB with the 12th total offense & 3rd in passing yards for FCS. He comes from that TTech Air Raid machine, was there with Kingsbury as a GA & an assistant QB's coach during the Davis Webb/ Pat Mahomes era. Played at Abilene Christian (for those that don't know, that Abilene Christian program has produced a lot of high octane offensive coaches).

Greg Stevens - OC at Southeastern Louisiana, currently has them with the #1 ranked offense in FCS (2nd in passing offense, 12th in points per game 36.6). He's coached at Eastern Arizona, Arkansas Monticello, Stephen F Austin, Eatern Illinois (Dino Babers) & Utah St, long time coach been in it for over 27 years & has had SLU with one of the best offenses in the FCS for 5+ years now.

Ken Collums - Another Texas/Arkansas, is the current OC at Central Arkansas (same program as Mike Norvell who is also a Texas/Arkansas guy), he was also at Abilene Christian for 5 years, in fact the only two places he's ever coached was at Abilene & Central Ark, he actually coached Norvell when Norvell was a WR in his offense & hired him as a GA at Central Ark. 47 years old & is considered to be a very smart play caller.

And since LSU went & found Joe Brady from the Saints to run their offense, I figured I'd thrown in a wildcard for a NFL guy as well:

Joe Bleymaier - Is currently an Offensive QC for Andy Reid at Kansas City & was at Colorado as a for 3 years as well as an assistant QB's coach under Mike MacIntyre. But he's a Andy Reid disciple to the fullest been with him since 07/08 & is one the Passing game analysts for the Chiefs offense.

Do I think he would even realistically be a real candidate, NO, just threw him in here just for fun lol.
What’s sad is you did more research than Manuel will do with his next shiitty OC hire. Thanks for providing us with the names and your thoughts

Finally that the plague of Enox is supposed to be gone, like many of you, we've all been compiling lists of OC's (did the same thing when Richt was here lol) I've unfortunately had to scratch a few names off due to them being hired elsewhere, guys like Jeff Lebby who was at UCF got hired at Ole Miss with Kiffin, Zak Hill who was at Boise St with Harsin got hired by Herm Edwards at AZ St, Chad Morris went to Auburn with Malzahn, Kendal Briles went to Arkansas with Sam Pittman, Kalen Deboer who was OC Fresno St with Tedford, then got hired at Indiana this year & got rehired at Fresno to be the HC to take over for Tedford who stepped down.

There's still the obvious names like Joe Brady (not really realistic imo), Kevin Johns who was a long time Indiana WR's/OC under Kevin Wilson, OC at TTech with Kingsbury & was at Memphis with Norvell this season, Glenn Thomas at Baylor, Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest, plus former HC's & current analysts in guys like Larry Fedora at Texas & Rich Rodriguez who was Ole Miss's OC for Matt Luke this season. TBH, I'm not high on Rich Rod like at all, he's obviously better than Enox, but that's not the barometer we need to judge by.

Well, here's my list for top OC's (considering others have already been hired at other teams):

Keith Heckendorf - Current OC for Ark St under Blake Anderson, he's a Larry Fedora disciple & coached alongside Seth Littrell at UNC when Marquise Williams carved us up in 2015, also was one of the main developers of Mitch Trubisky. Had Omar Bayless leading the nation in receiving yards at 1,653yds & receiving TD's with 17, plus 5th in catches. Also had Kirk Merritt with 70rec 806yds & 12TD's & had Jonathan Adams with 62rec 851yds & 5TD's as the 3rd WR in their offense. None of these guys were 4/5-star WR's coming out of HS. Is highly touted as a very smart young innovative X's & O's guy that is extremely detailed & is the next name coming up in the coaching industry as a play caller.

Rhett Lashlee -
Lashlee another Arkansas native started out as a GA under Houston Nutt & was at Auburn also an OC for Malzahn for 3 years including the year they went to the Natty against FSU. Had SMU with the 9th ranked offense in the country this season, they were 12th in passing & 41st in rushing. Obviously they got cracked in the Bowl game vs FAU, but their Offense was the main reason they won 10 games this year for the first time in 35 years since 1984. Their WR's were also among the tops in the nation in multiple categories, James Proche lead the nation in receptions.

Or, we could do like OK St did & go snatch a guy from down in the FCS for cheap while still getting high level production. Mike Gundy found Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg & hired him at OK St, he was OC under Gundy for 6 years before going to OH St this season as Passing Game Coordinator/QB's Coach & is the favorite to be the next OC at Texas. Gundy replaced Yurcich with Sean Gleeson from Princeton. Guys like Gus Malzahn, Art Briles, Chad Morris, had no prior college experience before they were hired, came straight from High school & even Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was a FCS guy that Dabo hired from Furman.

Point being, while our fans think you can only be a good OC if you're coaching at P5 school & playing in the playoffs, there's actually some really good play callers at the lower levels of football & the good HC's are smart enough to do their due diligence & find the right guys.

Zach Kittley - A young innovative up coming X's & O's coach at Houston Baptist, has HB with the 12th total offense & 3rd in passing yards for FCS. He comes from that TTech Air Raid machine, was there with Kingsbury as a GA & an assistant QB's coach during the Davis Webb/ Pat Mahomes era. Played at Abilene Christian (for those that don't know, that Abilene Christian program has produced a lot of high octane offensive coaches).

Greg Stevens - OC at Southeastern Louisiana, currently has them with the #1 ranked offense in FCS (2nd in passing offense, 12th in points per game 36.6). He's coached at Eastern Arizona, Arkansas Monticello, Stephen F Austin, Eatern Illinois (Dino Babers) & Utah St, long time coach been in it for over 27 years & has had SLU with one of the best offenses in the FCS for 5+ years now.

Ken Collums - Another Texas/Arkansas, is the current OC at Central Arkansas (same program as Mike Norvell who is also a Texas/Arkansas guy), he was also at Abilene Christian for 5 years, in fact the only two places he's ever coached was at Abilene & Central Ark, he actually coached Norvell when Norvell was a WR in his offense & hired him as a GA at Central Ark. 47 years old & is considered to be a very smart play caller.

And since LSU went & found Joe Brady from the Saints to run their offense, I figured I'd thrown in a wildcard for a NFL guy as well:

Joe Bleymaier - Is currently an Offensive QC for Andy Reid at Kansas City & was at Colorado as a for 3 years as well as an assistant QB's coach under Mike MacIntyre. But he's a Andy Reid disciple to the fullest been with him since 07/08 & is one the Passing game analysts for the Chiefs offense.

Do I think he would even realistically be a real candidate, NO, just threw him in here just for fun lol.

At this point I would be ecstatic if we hired Suffield Academy’s OC!

List should start and end with Bedenbaugh. Yost and the other big names aren't going to coach for Diaz if they think he's a dead man walking. Bedenbaugh hasn't called plays but wants to. It's an audition to show he can do more than coach OL. No lose proposition for him.
Agreed. Bedenbaugh and whomever he brings in to replace Barry.

Advertisement
Indeed @Liberty City El and that lack of development is now over multiple coaching staffs. Our evaluations are off, and we end up taking too many projects at a position where you absolutely must have capable players. I recognize identifying OL talent is tough, but other programs have managed to do it, many of them consistently. We need more young men like Jalen Rivers.

You make a great point about Yost and that he may not want to take a chance hitching his wagon to Manure. I also have that concern but in the Yost's case I actually think that there is much more upside to him coming here. First off, Yost would have to be pretty excited at the prospect of crafting an offense around guys like Jordan, Mallory, Hodges, Lingard, Harris, Chaney, Knighton, Wiggins, Pope, Harley, Redding and Payton. That's an ****nal for an OC that knows what the fack he's doing. OL must be improved but with the right OL coach our OL is certainly capable of being solid.

Manure might be cliche machine with no substance but in Yost's viewpoint if he can turn this offense around and maybe turn it into something exciting and explosive then it doesn't matter if Manure gets canned. Yost would now have major attention from elite programs. Yost makes $600K now if I'm not mistaken. Offer him $900,000 and if he is the truth then reward him for it. The bottom line is I think that the potential boom to Yost's career would far outweigh the risk.

In addition to a great OC we need a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff beginning with Barry who without question must go. We can let the OC have significant input into his staff but we must put together a great staff and that means exceptional, experienced and competent coaches who can also recruit. We need the same on defense. This is Miami so if want to get where we want to go we need to have a coaching staff with the ability to get us there. Baker, Parke, Banda, Stroud and Rumph are absolutely not the type of staff to get us there. I believe Charlie Strong Is still available. I think Strong would be a homerun hire for us at DC. I don't care for Strong as an HC but as a DC he is a no brainer. Strong's HC experience would be invaluable to us as a DC and I also believe he would be very effective recruiting South Florida. The thing is that I'm not so sure that after all these years being an HC that he would want to coach under a buffoon like Manure. He would be a great hire at DC however.
love ur thoughts but there is a 5% Yoast comes here. I would bet more on some **** head no one wants and manny will spin it into some great dude. Then we will get a under center offense again. He gets fired and repeat

My concern with an OC from a lower division is Diaz has a defensive background. Gleason at OkState has Gundy, former QB and OC.

Advertisement

Rhett Lashlee -

I believe the new OL coach for FSU also coached at Abilene Christian.
Lots of good offensive minds in Texas these days.

I believe the new OL coach for FSU also coached at Abilene Christian.
Lots of good offensive minds in Texas these days.
Yeah, Chris Thomsen who was at TCU is going to be Norvell's OL coach. He was with Norvell at AZ St & was at Abilene Christian & was an interim at TTech.

Graham Harrell's younger brother Clark played at Abilene too under Thomsen (when he was HC there) & now is coaching QB's/OC down on Texas in High School, he's actually talked about as the next young X's & O's guru coming up on the HS scene that's gonna hit the college level & do well.

John David Baker who's a QC/Assistant QB coach at USC with Graham Harrell is another young Texas HS coach that played & was a GA at Abilene, Seth Litrell hired him at North Texas.

The current OC for Abilene Josh Lamberson is another one too & the RB's coach there is JW Walsh who played QB at OK St for Mike Gundy & was a GA at TCU.

That Southland conference has produced a sh*t ton of great offensive coaches & play callers.

Advertisement
Back