OC Candidates

“Among some names being discussed: former North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, former Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez and Texas Tech offensive coordinator David Yost. All three offensive gurus run aggressive spread offenses that play in up-tempo systems.
Fedora was a candidate for Miami’s offensive coordinator vacancy last year, but Yost is believed to be Miami’s preferred choice, a source said. Diaz and James agree UM’s offense needs to be more aggressive.”

- Manny Navvaro

Advertisement
He was with the Bengals too. Any indication how he'd run an offense though? He's never had the role.
Yeah he was with Jay Gruden & Hugh Jackson under that Marvin Lewis regime.

The Offense I believe he would run is the Andy Reid 2010 offense when he had Vick, Shady McCoy, Desean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Jason Avant, Brent Celek & all them. Basically a mixture of the high cotsne Spread & that old school Bil Walsh West Coast offense that he & Mike Holmgren learned with the Niners.

Appreciate it.

And yeah there's lots of names that have been floated out that make me wince...

Pretty much anybody who's not a Spread guy (like Matt Canada or Whipple or some sh*t lol) & Major fckin Applewhite.

Applesauce is a horrendous play caller & is one of the dumbest OC's in the business, yes he's a Spread guy, but he's a total moron. Anybody mentioning Applewhite has no idea what they'd be in for if we fcked up & hired him.

Also, Tim Beck is a name I would hesitate to bring in, he got canned at Texas under Tom Herman for having too basic of a Spread offense. Their offense was good, that's not why they went 7-5 this year, but he's a very simplistic play caller, no creativity at all, just bland & conservative, even for a Spread guy.

He may go with whoever was his plan B from the original OC search because he may feel pressure to have someone in place before February signing day.

Do you think he has it in him to research and be able to find an up and comer?

I think diaz values previous hc experience with his OC. Considering he’s busy with defense.

Rich rod is a sneaky favorite.

Advertisement
Oh, I'm not saying we should keep anyone from the current offensive staff, just saying that letting the OC entirely pick his own staff can lead to trouble. Enos picked his buddies (just like Diaz on defense!), rather than trying to find the best coaches possible.

I follow now. To be clear, my position is everyone who has been an enabler of Blake James on down should go, but since we're discussing OC, I don't trust anyone on our staff more than I would trust Yost to get the right people, were he named OC. If Yost did bring who he's currently worked with, he could point to a track record of success, but yes, I agree, bringing in bad coaches because you happen to know them or you like them or they like you needs to end.

Finally that the plague of Enox is supposed to be gone, like many of you, we've all been compiling lists of OC's (did the same thing when Richt was here lol) I've unfortunately had to scratch a few names off due to them being hired elsewhere, guys like Jeff Lebby who was at UCF got hired at Ole Miss with Kiffin, Zak Hill who was at Boise St with Harsin got hired by Herm Edwards at AZ St, Chad Morris went to Auburn with Malzahn, Kendal Briles went to Arkansas with Sam Pittman, Kalen Deboer who was OC Fresno St with Tedford, then got hired at Indiana this year & got rehired at Fresno to be the HC to take over for Tedford who stepped down.

There's still the obvious names like Joe Brady (not really realistic imo), Kevin Johns who was a long time Indiana WR's/OC under Kevin Wilson, OC at TTech with Kingsbury & was at Memphis with Norvell this season, Glenn Thomas at Baylor, Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest, plus former HC's & current analysts in guys like Larry Fedora at Texas & Rich Rodriguez who was Ole Miss's OC for Matt Luke this season. TBH, I'm not high on Rich Rod like at all, he's obviously better than Enox, but that's not the barometer we need to judge by.

Well, here's my list for top OC's (considering others have already been hired at other teams):

Keith Heckendorf - Current OC for Ark St under Blake Anderson, he's a Larry Fedora disciple & coached alongside Seth Littrell at UNC when Marquise Williams carved us up in 2015, also was one of the main developers of Mitch Trubisky. Had Omar Bayless leading the nation in receiving yards at 1,653yds & receiving TD's with 17, plus 5th in catches. Also had Kirk Merritt with 70rec 806yds & 12TD's & had Jonathan Adams with 62rec 851yds & 5TD's as the 3rd WR in their offense. None of these guys were 4/5-star WR's coming out of HS. Is highly touted as a very smart young innovative X's & O's guy that is extremely detailed & is the next name coming up in the coaching industry as a play caller.

Rhett Lashlee -
Lashlee another Arkansas native started out as a GA under Houston Nutt & was at Auburn also an OC for Malzahn for 3 years including the year they went to the Natty against FSU. Had SMU with the 9th ranked offense in the country this season, they were 12th in passing & 41st in rushing. Obviously they got cracked in the Bowl game vs FAU, but their Offense was the main reason they won 10 games this year for the first time in 35 years since 1984. Their WR's were also among the tops in the nation in multiple categories, James Proche lead the nation in receptions.

Or, we could do like OK St did & go snatch a guy from down in the FCS for cheap while still getting high level production. Mike Gundy found Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg & hired him at OK St, he was OC under Gundy for 6 years before going to OH St this season as Passing Game Coordinator/QB's Coach & is the favorite to be the next OC at Texas. Gundy replaced Yurcich with Sean Gleeson from Princeton. Guys like Gus Malzahn, Art Briles, Chad Morris, had no prior college experience before they were hired, came straight from High school & even Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was a FCS guy that Dabo hired from Furman.

Point being, while our fans think you can only be a good OC if you're coaching at P5 school & playing in the playoffs, there's actually some really good play callers at the lower levels of football & the good HC's are smart enough to do their due diligence & find the right guys.

With that said, some good up & coming FCS OC's are:

Zach Kittley - A young innovative up coming X's & O's coach at Houston Baptist, has HB with the 12th total offense & 3rd in passing yards for FCS. He comes from that TTech Air Raid machine, was there with Kingsbury as a GA & an assistant QB's coach during the Davis Webb/ Pat Mahomes era. Played at Abilene Christian (for those that don't know, that Abilene Christian program has produced a lot of high octane offensive coaches).

Greg Stevens - OC at Southeastern Louisiana, currently has them with the #1 ranked offense in FCS (2nd in passing offense, 12th in points per game 36.6). He's coached at Eastern Arizona, Arkansas Monticello, Stephen F Austin, Eatern Illinois (Dino Babers) & Utah St, long time coach been in it for over 27 years & has had SLU with one of the best offenses in the FCS for 5+ years now.

Ken Collums - Another Texas/Arkansas, is the current OC at Central Arkansas (same program as Mike Norvell who is also a Texas/Arkansas guy), he was also at Abilene Christian for 5 years, in fact the only two places he's ever coached was at Abilene & Central Ark, he actually coached Norvell when Norvell was a WR in his offense & hired him as a GA at Central Ark. 47 years old & is considered to be a very smart play caller.

And since LSU went & found Joe Brady from the Saints to run their offense, I figured I'd thrown in a wildcard for a NFL guy as well:

Joe Bleymaier - Is currently an Offensive QC for Andy Reid at Kansas City & was at Colorado as a for 3 years as well as an assistant QB's coach under Mike MacIntyre. But he's a Andy Reid disciple to the fullest been with him since 07/08 & is one the Passing game analysts for the Chiefs offense.

Do I think he would even realistically be a real candidate, NO, just threw him in here just for fun lol.
If you had your pick of candidates, and money wasn’t an object considering we gave ***** $1.5mil a year, who would you select off of your list Liberty? I don’t know much, if anything, about those on your list above but I would think Stevens would be my selection followed by Collums. I’m interested in hearing who you’d pick and why

List should start and end with Bedenbaugh. Yost and the other big names aren't going to coach for Diaz if they think he's a dead man walking. Bedenbaugh hasn't called plays but wants to. It's an audition to show he can do more than coach OL. No lose proposition for him.

“Among some names being discussed: former North Carolina coach Larry Fedora, former Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez and Texas Tech offensive coordinator David Yost. All three offensive gurus run aggressive spread offenses that play in up-tempo systems.
Fedora was a candidate for Miami’s offensive coordinator vacancy last year, but Yost is believed to be Miami’s preferred choice, a source said. Diaz and James agree UM’s offense needs to be more aggressive.”

- Manny Navvaro
The way Yost has been glorified here... CIS will have to commit ritual suicide if it does work out.

Advertisement
Prepare yourself for a Rich Olsonesque circa 2006 type of hire.

No up and comer is going to derail his career trajectory coming into this situation. Hoping to hit a portal jackpot for a few OL(like our former apparent LT Tommy Kennedy) and TVD is ready to start at QB this fall. Other than Brevin Jordan we have no offensive threats.

That’s not even considering having to work under a HC who is clueless and likely won’t last another season.

Then again, may be just as good as a scenario as firing MD now and trusting BJ to hire anyone better.

Lol! Same here... But you know the league is about to raid our coaching staff with this magical season Harbaugh & crew has put together. Everybody's gonna be after Greg Roman.

Another guy who's going to get some looks as a DC is our LB's coach Mike MacDonald, who's actually from Georgia & got his first coaching job as a GA for Richt at UGA lol.
Yeah I know, that's why they need to win it this year. I mean I think the team is built to last but still, if you win it this year it's one of the all time great seasons.

I actually saw that Martindale is supposedly more sought after than Roman. Harbaugh is great at picking assistants, which is why they're always stolen, but I think Roman is a lot harder to replace. The Ravens always have great defense so I'm not too worried about that side of the ball.

Advertisement
List should start and end with Bedenbaugh. Yost and the other big names aren't going to coach for Diaz if they think he's a dead man walking. Bedenbaugh hasn't called plays but wants to. It's an audition to show he can do more than coach OL. No lose proposition for him.
Love Bedenbaugh & think he would be a home run hire if we got him, I just seriously doubt he would leave a top flight perennial playoff program like Oklahoma to come down to Miami.

If I'm Diaz I would get on the phone & offer him whatever wants, but I don't think he's interested in leaving a machine like Okla to come be at Mom & Pop store run business like Miami is now lol.

Yost was the Offensive Coordinator at Missouri in 2008, when Chase Coffman won the Mackey Award. When Yost has a good TE to throw to, he uses him very well.
Clemson is the same. They threw the ball to leggett when he was there. Now i couldn't even name a TE there to save my life

Advertisement

- Manny Navvaro
I only want Yost out if those 3, would be disappointed with the other two.

I agree 100%, we absolutely need recruiters, but the problem is we have nothing to sell.

The plan should be to transform the offense & turn us into a viable high octane attacking team that can put up points with anybody while maintaining a solid-good Defense. The key is winning right away, we can load up on recruiters but if we have nothing to sell we're not going to get high level recruits. We need to string together a 10 win season so that recruits have something to believe in, the last time we won 10 games we finished with the 8th ranked class.

When you have a schematic advantage you don't need an offense full of 5-stars, these OC's take medium level talent & maximize their productivity by using a high pace scheme that neutralizes Defenses. We don't really struggle landing good offensive talent regardless of how bad we are, so I'm not worried about offense recruiting, we need Elite recruiters on Defense.

We need a high level recruiter at LB coach & someone to bring us some fckin DB's. But with offense, even as it stands we have enough talent to score over 33-35ppg & be productive, we just need the right play caller & play designer.
A-f’ing man El. It’s the proverbial cart before the horse. This time I pray, PRAY we get this hire correct. Not because I want to save Manny’s ****; I want to save the program. I’ll take an offense that can score 33-35ppg to go along with our solid to very good defense. Add the elite recruiter on defense and give the OC reign to come up with an innovative offense. Given the talent annually in So FL on that side of the ball, we’ll get our 4* players at the skill positions. Grab OL from other states where the talent and development is there and better yearly and let it rip. Rinse and repeat. Sooner or later with a team built like that we would knock off Clemaon from the pedestal of the ACC. The way we’re going about it has screwed us royally these last 18-20yrs. We’ve got to get an offense players would line up to play in, and that starts with an OC who lives to whip **** on opponent a on a weekly basis.

I think that’s a good list. Most likely we’re going to have to get one of these under the radar small school guys. I just don’t think it’s realistic that someone like Yost would come to a sinking ship like Miami.
You make a great point about Yost and that he may not want to take a chance hitching his wagon to Manure. I also have that concern but in Yost's case I actually think that there is much more upside to him coming here. First off, Yost would have to be pretty excited at the prospect of crafting an offense around guys like Jordan, Mallory, Hodges, Lingard, Harris, Chaney, Knighton, Wiggins, Pope, Harley, Redding and Payton. That's an ****nal for an OC that knows what the fack he's doing. OL must be improved but with the right OL coach our OL is certainly capable of being solid.

Manure might be a cliche machine with no substance but in Yost's viewpoint if he can turn this offense around and maybe turn it into something exciting and explosive then it doesn't matter if Manure gets canned. Yost would now have major attention from elite programs. Yost makes $600K now if I'm not mistaken. Offer him $900,000 and if he is the truth then reward him for it. The bottom line is I think that the potential boom to Yost's career would far outweigh the risk.

In addition to a great OC we need a complete overhaul of the offensive coaching staff beginning with Barry who without question must go. We can let the OC have significant input into his staff but we must put together a great staff and that means exceptional, experienced and competent coaches who can also recruit. We need the same on defense. This is Miami so if we want to get where we want to go we need to have a coaching staff with the ability to get us there. Baker, Patke, Banda, Stroud and Rumph are absolutely not the type of staff to get us there. I believe Charlie Strong Is still available. I think Strong would be a homerun hire for us at DC. I don't care for Strong as an HC but as a DC he is a no brainer. Strong's HC experience would be invaluable to us as a DC and I also believe he would be very effective recruiting South Florida. The thing is that I'm not so sure that after all these years being an HC that he would want to coach under a buffoon like Manure. He would be a great hire at DC however.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back