OC Candidates

I don’t much about him but Tulanes Will Hall was talked about by some LSU people as OC if Brady were to leave. He’s from the Norvell coaching tree and his offense at Louisiana Lafayette led Nation in red zone offense and they play fast. Good luck getting somebody “established” to come here when Diaz is on the hot seat.

Advertisement
Finally that the plague of Enox is supposed to be gone, like many of you, we've all been compiling lists of OC's (did the same thing when Richt was here lol) I've unfortunately had to scratch a few names off due to them being hired elsewhere, guys like Jeff Lebby who was at UCF got hired at Ole Miss with Kiffin, Zak Hill who was at Boise St with Harsin got hired by Herm Edwards at AZ St, Chad Morris went to Auburn with Malzahn, Kendal Briles went to Arkansas with Sam Pittman, Kalen Deboer who was OC Fresno St with Tedford, then got hired at Indiana this year & got rehired at Fresno to be the HC to take over for Tedford who stepped down.

There's still the obvious names like Joe Brady (not really realistic imo), Kevin Johns who was a long time Indiana WR's/OC under Kevin Wilson, OC at TTech with Kingsbury & was at Memphis with Norvell this season, Glenn Thomas at Baylor, Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest, plus former HC's & current analysts in guys like Larry Fedora at Texas & Rich Rodriguez who was Ole Miss's OC for Matt Luke this season. TBH, I'm not high on Rich Rod like at all, he's obviously better than Enox, but that's not the barometer we need to judge by.

Well, here's my list for top OC's (considering others have already been hired at other teams):

Keith Heckendorf - Current OC for Ark St under Blake Anderson, he's a Larry Fedora disciple & coached alongside Seth Littrell at UNC when Marquise Williams carved us up in 2015, also was one of the main developers of Mitch Trubisky. Had Omar Bayless leading the nation in receiving yards at 1,653yds & receiving TD's with 17, plus 5th in catches. Also had Kirk Merritt with 70rec 806yds & 12TD's & had Jonathan Adams with 62rec 851yds & 5TD's as the 3rd WR in their offense. None of these guys were 4/5-star WR's coming out of HS. Is highly touted as a very smart young innovative X's & O's guy that is extremely detailed & is the next name coming up in the coaching industry as a play caller.

Rhett Lashlee -
Lashlee another Arkansas native started out as a GA under Houston Nutt & was at Auburn also an OC for Malzahn for 3 years including the year they went to the Natty against FSU. Had SMU with the 9th ranked offense in the country this season, they were 12th in passing & 41st in rushing. Obviously they got cracked in the Bowl game vs FAU, but their Offense was the main reason they won 10 games this year for the first time in 35 years since 1984. Their WR's were also among the tops in the nation in multiple categories, James Proche lead the nation in receptions.

Or, we could do like OK St did & go snatch a guy from down in the FCS for cheap while still getting high level production. Mike Gundy found Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg & hired him at OK St, he was OC under Gundy for 6 years before going to OH St this season as Passing Game Coordinator/QB's Coach & is the favorite to be the next OC at Texas. Gundy replaced Yurcich with Sean Gleeson from Princeton. Guys like Gus Malzahn, Art Briles, Chad Morris, had no prior college experience before they were hired, came straight from High school & even Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was a FCS guy that Dabo hired from Furman.

Point being, while our fans think you can only be a good OC if you're coaching at P5 school & playing in the playoffs, there's actually some really good play callers at the lower levels of football & the good HC's are smart enough to do their due diligence & find the right guys.

With that said, some good up & coming FCS OC's are:

Zach Kittley - A young innovative up coming X's & O's coach at Houston Baptist, has HB with the 12th total offense & 3rd in passing yards for FCS. He comes from that TTech Air Raid machine, was there with Kingsbury as a GA & an assistant QB's coach during the Davis Webb/ Pat Mahomes era. Played at Abilene Christian (for those that don't know, that Abilene Christian program has produced a lot of high octane offensive coaches).

Greg Stevens - OC at Southeastern Louisiana, currently has them with the #1 ranked offense in FCS (2nd in passing offense, 12th in points per game 36.6). He's coached at Eastern Arizona, Arkansas Monticello, Stephen F Austin, Eatern Illinois (Dino Babers) & Utah St, long time coach been in it for over 27 years & has had SLU with one of the best offenses in the FCS for 5+ years now.

Ken Collums - Another Texas/Arkansas, is the current OC at Central Arkansas (same program as Mike Norvell who is also a Texas/Arkansas guy), he was also at Abilene Christian for 5 years, in fact the only two places he's ever coached was at Abilene & Central Ark, he actually coached Norvell when Norvell was a WR in his offense & hired him as a GA at Central Ark. 47 years old & is considered to be a very smart play caller.

And since LSU went & found Joe Brady from the Saints to run their offense, I figured I'd thrown in a wildcard for a NFL guy as well:

Joe Bleymaier - Is currently an Offensive QC for Andy Reid at Kansas City & was at Colorado as a for 3 years as well as an assistant QB's coach under Mike MacIntyre. But he's a Andy Reid disciple to the fullest been with him since 07/08 & is one the Passing game analysts for the Chiefs offense.

Do I think he would even realistically be a real candidate, NO, just threw him in here just for fun lol.
Love your list. Some people may lose their minds if another FCS guy is hired.

But who’s going to recruit? Some of these guys are obviously cutting edge offensively. But can they recruit and if not, ok as long as they call plays and generate offense. But then we need recruiters!!!

Advertisement
Nah. I'm not high on Rich Rod, or Perry, or Tate, or Jarren.

I would take Rich Rod over Enos obviously, but I'd rather get a new young guy who just wants to sit in the film room all day & draw up big plays. We need a X's & O's lab technician type, I think you guys want a splash name hire but the truth is we need less ego & more guys who don't give AF about anything except trying to prove their worth...

And that goes for both Coaches & players. Bring me a guy that doesn't have any glitz or glamour to his name, just a X's & O's guru that dedicates all his time to transforming Offenses, not guys who just see us as a stepping stone to another job.

Mike-Tyson-clapping-and-laughing.gif

Folks have to remember coaching at Miami requires ,actually, living in Miami. And every coach isn’t interested in that life-style.

They also have to be willing to work for Diaz.

That combination means there is a limited pool of quality candidates.

Not to be the killjoy, but I suggest y’all brace yourselves for Major Applewhite.

Diaz is going to hire someone he knows. He’s going to go safe with his next OC. His rolodex isn’t big enough to find a hidden gem. It is what it is.
Please God no... 🙏🏾😥

Advertisement
The way to fix this will never happen but Manny should take $2M of his $3m salary and spend his own money to load us up with a Bama-like level coaching staff, analysts, and recruiting department.

That would be the best investment he ever made. When it works he could talk UM into footing the bill for future years and he prolongs his head corching career b/c if he flames out here, he's going to be playing snake with Shannon for the rest of his life.

I don’t much about him but Tulanes Will Hall was talked about by some LSU people as OC if Brady were to leave. He’s from the Norvell coaching tree and his offense at Louisiana Lafayette led Nation in red zone offense and they play fast. Good luck getting somebody “established” to come here when Diaz is on the hot seat.
Coaches don’t care about that hot seat shît. USC had klingsbury and then harrell

Love your list. Some people may lose their minds if another FCS guy is hired.

But who’s going to recruit? Some of these guys are obviously cutting edge offensively. But can they recruit and if not, ok as long as they call plays and generate offense. But then we need recruiters!!!
I agree 100%, we absolutely need recruiters, but the problem is we have nothing to sell.

The plan should be to transform the offense & turn us into a viable high octane attacking team that can put up points with anybody while maintaining a solid-good Defense. The key is winning right away, we can load up on recruiters but if we have nothing to sell we're not going to get high level recruits. We need to string together a 10 win season so that recruits have something to believe in, the last time we won 10 games we finished with the 8th ranked class.

When you have a schematic advantage you don't need an offense full of 5-stars, these OC's take medium level talent & maximize their productivity by using a high pace scheme that neutralizes Defenses. We don't really struggle landing good offensive talent regardless of how bad we are, so I'm not worried about offense recruiting, we need Elite recruiters on Defense.

We need a high level recruiter at LB coach & someone to bring us some fckin DB's. But with offense, even as it stands we have enough talent to score over 33-35ppg & be productive, we just need the right play caller & play designer.

Advertisement
I mean Brady basically had 2 years as a GA with Joe Moorehead and 2 years with Saints as an assistant wr coach. Now look at him.

the NFL route could have a lot of younger guys who appear green (like Brady) but have been coaching under great coaches and systems.

-Klint Kubiak (age 32), QB coach Vikings. Son of the famous qb/coach Gary obviously, but he's coached in NCAA 4 years and NFL four years with last 2.5 years as qb coach with a very good Vikings offense. Look at his work with Kirk Cousins this year.

-Dave Canales (age 38), Seahawks. QB coach past 2 years, and was assistant qb coach for 2 years as well as wr coach there for 3 years, and of course the offensive quality control guy for several years. Been with Russell Wilson a while for a top 10 scoring offense. It has to mean something that Pete Carroll took him from USC and has kept him at Seattle allowing him to work his way up to being the QB guy with Wilson after all these years.

-Joe Lombardi (this one is not as green, age 48), Saints. QB coach for 9 years for that offense. Likely an NFL lifer but man, this guy has had to be one of the main engines to that offense.

Finally that the plague of Enox is supposed to be gone, like many of you, we've all been compiling lists of OC's (did the same thing when Richt was here lol) I've unfortunately had to scratch a few names off due to them being hired elsewhere, guys like Jeff Lebby who was at UCF got hired at Ole Miss with Kiffin, Zak Hill who was at Boise St with Harsin got hired by Herm Edwards at AZ St, Chad Morris went to Auburn with Malzahn, Kendal Briles went to Arkansas with Sam Pittman, Kalen Deboer who was OC Fresno St with Tedford, then got hired at Indiana this year & got rehired at Fresno to be the HC to take over for Tedford who stepped down.

There's still the obvious names like Joe Brady (not really realistic imo), Kevin Johns who was a long time Indiana WR's/OC under Kevin Wilson, OC at TTech with Kingsbury & was at Memphis with Norvell this season, Glenn Thomas at Baylor, Warren Ruggiero at Wake Forest, plus former HC's & current analysts in guys like Larry Fedora at Texas & Rich Rodriguez who was Ole Miss's OC for Matt Luke this season. TBH, I'm not high on Rich Rod like at all, he's obviously better than Enox, but that's not the barometer we need to judge by.

Well, here's my list for top OC's (considering others have already been hired at other teams):

Keith Heckendorf - Current OC for Ark St under Blake Anderson, he's a Larry Fedora disciple & coached alongside Seth Littrell at UNC when Marquise Williams carved us up in 2015, also was one of the main developers of Mitch Trubisky. Had Omar Bayless leading the nation in receiving yards at 1,653yds & receiving TD's with 17, plus 5th in catches. Also had Kirk Merritt with 70rec 806yds & 12TD's & had Jonathan Adams with 62rec 851yds & 5TD's as the 3rd WR in their offense. None of these guys were 4/5-star WR's coming out of HS. Is highly touted as a very smart young innovative X's & O's guy that is extremely detailed & is the next name coming up in the coaching industry as a play caller.

Rhett Lashlee -
Lashlee another Arkansas native started out as a GA under Houston Nutt & was at Auburn also an OC for Malzahn for 3 years including the year they went to the Natty against FSU. Had SMU with the 9th ranked offense in the country this season, they were 12th in passing & 41st in rushing. Obviously they got cracked in the Bowl game vs FAU, but their Offense was the main reason they won 10 games this year for the first time in 35 years since 1984. Their WR's were also among the tops in the nation in multiple categories, James Proche lead the nation in receptions.

Or, we could do like OK St did & go snatch a guy from down in the FCS for cheap while still getting high level production. Mike Gundy found Mike Yurcich from Shippensburg & hired him at OK St, he was OC under Gundy for 6 years before going to OH St this season as Passing Game Coordinator/QB's Coach & is the favorite to be the next OC at Texas. Gundy replaced Yurcich with Sean Gleeson from Princeton. Guys like Gus Malzahn, Art Briles, Chad Morris, had no prior college experience before they were hired, came straight from High school & even Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) was a FCS guy that Dabo hired from Furman.

Point being, while our fans think you can only be a good OC if you're coaching at P5 school & playing in the playoffs, there's actually some really good play callers at the lower levels of football & the good HC's are smart enough to do their due diligence & find the right guys.

Zach Kittley - A young innovative up coming X's & O's coach at Houston Baptist, has HB with the 12th total offense & 3rd in passing yards for FCS. He comes from that TTech Air Raid machine, was there with Kingsbury as a GA & an assistant QB's coach during the Davis Webb/ Pat Mahomes era. Played at Abilene Christian (for those that don't know, that Abilene Christian program has produced a lot of high octane offensive coaches).

Greg Stevens - OC at Southeastern Louisiana, currently has them with the #1 ranked offense in FCS (2nd in passing offense, 12th in points per game 36.6). He's coached at Eastern Arizona, Arkansas Monticello, Stephen F Austin, Eatern Illinois (Dino Babers) & Utah St, long time coach been in it for over 27 years & has had SLU with one of the best offenses in the FCS for 5+ years now.

Ken Collums - Another Texas/Arkansas, is the current OC at Central Arkansas (same program as Mike Norvell who is also a Texas/Arkansas guy), he was also at Abilene Christian for 5 years, in fact the only two places he's ever coached was at Abilene & Central Ark, he actually coached Norvell when Norvell was a WR in his offense & hired him as a GA at Central Ark. 47 years old & is considered to be a very smart play caller.

And since LSU went & found Joe Brady from the Saints to run their offense, I figured I'd thrown in a wildcard for a NFL guy as well:

Joe Bleymaier - Is currently an Offensive QC for Andy Reid at Kansas City & was at Colorado as a for 3 years as well as an assistant QB's coach under Mike MacIntyre. But he's a Andy Reid disciple to the fullest been with him since 07/08 & is one the Passing game analysts for the Chiefs offense.

Do I think he would even realistically be a real candidate, NO, just threw him in here just for fun lol.
Those FCS oc’s would be nice but Manny know its do or die. He’s not going to take those chances. So any notable spread oc might get a call soon or Manny might fûck up hire Matt Canada!!!

Advertisement
Folks have to remember coaching at Miami requires ,actually, living in Miami. And every coach isn’t interested in that life-style.

They also have to be willing to work for Diaz.

That combination means there is a limited pool of quality candidates.

Not to be the killjoy, but I suggest y’all brace yourselves for Major Applewhite.

Diaz is going to hire someone he knows. He’s going to go safe with his next OC. His rolodex isn’t big enough to find a hidden gem. It is what it is.

My money is on Diaz stealing Sean Gleeson from Ok state. With Boone dead the OkState slush fund has dried up, so now we can out bid them.

An per another poster on CIS, Manny was going to hire Gleeson at Temple supposedly. The connection is there and Sean Gleeson solves a lot of issues immediately he is uptempo power spread guy and he has the nation's leading rusher so all the current UM RB's will love that. Also Gleeson is from Jersey so living in Miami would be normal.

The only issue is Gleeson is young so Manny would have to find a Oline coach and WR Coach. Gleeson doesn't have an extensive contact list.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Kevin Wilson
I like Wilson too, he's an old Bob Stoops Oklahoma guy & was at Indiana for a long time, but I think he wants to be a HC for his next gig because of the way he was fired from IU.

I doubt he would leave Oh St to come to Miami unless we paid him a boatload of money.

Appreciate it.

And yeah there's lots of names that have been floated out that make me wince...

Pretty much anybody who's not a Spread guy (like Matt Canada or Whipple or some sh*t lol) & Major fckin Applewhite.

Applesauce is a horrendous play caller & is one of the dumbest OC's in the business, yes he's a Spread guy, but he's a total moron. Anybody mentioning Applewhite has no idea what they'd be in for if we fcked up & hired him.

Also, Tim Beck is a name I would hesitate to bring in, he got canned at Texas under Tom Herman for having too basic of a Spread offense. Their offense was good, that's not why they went 7-5 this year, but he's a very simplistic play caller, no creativity at all, just bland & conservative, even for a Spread guy.

I thought Enos was an uninspiring OC choice. I thought Diaz went for the splash hire of getting someone from the Bama tree, but he didn’t match any of the adjectives Diaz used in hyping the hire.

I don’t trust Diaz to cast a wide enough net to make a good OC hire. I’m also not sure of his budget, if they’re still paying Enos.

I think Applewhite will check the boxes of being a former HC, being spread, and being someone who needs an upgrade to their current position. I also don’t think Applewhite will be very expensive.

just trying to manage expectations.

Rhett Lashlee -

When I see proper respect given to Tedford da gawd, I know I'm reading a football mind.

Advertisement
Back