Observations from College Station

Moss needs more time. It happens.

100% agree on Parrish

We dont have a #1 back on this team
Kelly is going to be making a killing on Sundays. He’s got the mindset, body, and will have the skill set to make it happen.

Moss seems way more raw but if he works to learn more moves and if he lives in the cafeteria he can definitely be a Sunday guy too.

Advertisement
Went to the game with my cousin and sat in the 5th row in North End Zone. Few takeaways:

- size wise we were right there with "an SEC team" and felt the same could be said about speed.
- the push our DL got was relentless and it was all game long
- the OL worked very well together and did a great job communicating in that hornets nest
- the staff is extremely involved with a buy in from the players during warmups
- outside of the second touchdown we tackled very well
- the mental toughness is coming along, recent teams implode after the muffed punt
- Cyrus Moss is tiny, he looks like a JV player compared to the others size wise
- Njalik Kelly is a bendy and swift as advertised
- Darrell Jackson is absolutely massive, biggest DT we've had in a long time
- Henry Parrish is extremely shifty
- the offense took two steps forward, one step back throughout the night
- the defense played hyper aggressive all night, especially in man coverage
- some are saying the moment was too big and disagree, we made mistakes and bad ones but it's not because we couldn't handle 107,000.
- TAMU fans are way too nice
- Kyle Field experience is top notch and highly recommend catching a game there
I share many of your sentiments. A Manny-led team would of gotten rolled after TS's muff.

Advertisement
Went to the game with my cousin and sat in the 5th row in North End Zone. Few takeaways:

- size wise we were right there with "an SEC team" and felt the same could be said about speed.
- the push our DL got was relentless and it was all game long
- the OL worked very well together and did a great job communicating in that hornets nest
- the staff is extremely involved with a buy in from the players during warmups
- outside of the second touchdown we tackled very well
- the mental toughness is coming along, recent teams implode after the muffed punt
- Cyrus Moss is tiny, he looks like a JV player compared to the others size wise
- Njalik Kelly is a bendy and swift as advertised
- Darrell Jackson is absolutely massive, biggest DT we've had in a long time
- Henry Parrish is extremely shifty
- the offense took two steps forward, one step back throughout the night
- the defense played hyper aggressive all night, especially in man coverage
- some are saying the moment was too big and disagree, we made mistakes and bad ones but it's not because we couldn't handle 107,000.
- TAMU fans are way too nice
- Kyle Field experience is top notch and highly recommend catching a game there
Fans were nice x100. As a 6'3 black man I can assure you I've received my share of ill looks. I can't count the amount of times someone thanked me for being there decked out in UM gear. That and the food at stadium were the only positives on the night.

This kind of crappy porst is just as bad as the people who actually do say those things.

There are numerous level headed and reasonable porsters making observations about some potential issues they see.
You seem tense. A nice foot massage would relax you a bit.

Advertisement
Rewind 1 year and picture Manny Diaz taking us into College Station. We all know what the outcome would have been and that's the measuring stick of the impact the last 9 months Mario and Co. have had on this team.
I just threw up in my mouth.

Also can we stop with the sec team crap. We matched up on the lines just fine against the third best roster in the conference. Do we match up with Georgia? No probably not. But guess what. No one does. Bama also doesn’t look special on the lines this year. The thing with tamu is that they had the two best offensive players in this game in smith and Achane

Fans were nice x100. As a 6'3 black man I can assure you I've received my share of ill looks. I can't count the amount of times someone thanked me for being there decked out in UM gear. That and the food at stadium were the only positives on the night.
You’re black???????
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Hopefully Mario & Co will address this and the WR issue in recruiting.
It’s hilarious to me that having 5 four star rbs and 6 four star wrs is apparently the Achilles heal of our team…

it’s obviously a talent problem at our skill positions and not a scheme problem…long live josh gattis, first of his name, king of the power spread , lord of the running game and protector of the Broyles award….:mmkay:

Advertisement
It’s hilarious to me that having 5 four star rbs and 6 four star wrs is apparently the Achilles heal of our team…

it’s obviously a talent problem at our skill positions and not a scheme problem…long live josh gattis, first of his name, king of the power spread , lord of the running game and protector of the Broyles award….:mmkay:
Martell was a5 star QB, Lingard was a 5 star RB and Pope was a 5 star WR. It's all about the evaluation.

Appreciate the post, OP. Always like reports back from games like this that I'm not at. Not taking issue at all with your comments on these two fronts but just some of my personal opinions as I pretty much agreed with everything else you said:

I've always found the "SEC size" narrative to be more part of their propaganda than based on actual numbers.

I guess one can cite the "eye test" but that really ends up almost being anecdotal like how we judge the "niceness" of other fanbases.

I kinda think that can almost vary by the hour. Nicest city/tailgate away game crowd I've ever part of? Columbus and Ohio State.

After the game? Got in two fights that were completely provoked by them and their desire to rub in a loss.

That poor winner syndrome is even probably the exception though as we've sadly lost soooo many of these ooc big time road games recently that these fanbases don't really fear us and are never made to feel uncomfortable during the games so that's why we only see their "good" side.

Martell was a5 star QB, Lingard was a 5 star RB and Pope was a 5 star WR. It's all about the evaluation.
You’re talking about 3 examples, Im talking about 11. You really think we failed 11 straight times on all these evaluations? And Actually, only lingard was a 5 star. The others were high 4 stars (top 50 or 100) with MAYBE one site rating them a five star. I cant find it but it’s possible someone did.

you could also point to the sheer waste of highly rated guys that have come here and done nothing, and realize that Miami has a terrible record of coaching/utilizing talent over the last 15 years

Advertisement
You’re talking about 3 examples, Im talking about 11. You really think we failed 11 straight times on all these evaluations? And Actually, only lingard was a 5 star. The others were high 4 stars (top 50 or 100) with MAYBE one site rating them a five star. I cant find it but it’s possible someone did.

you could also point to the sheer waste of highly rated guys that have come here and done nothing, and realize that Miami has a terrible record of utilizing talent over the last 15 years
How many 4 stars turn out great? How many of these guys were being recruited by good evaluators of talent. How good were our evaluations at other positions?

I'm not saying they all suck, I'm saying they're not performing at the level they should be. Is that talent, development, or playcalling? I'm reasonably certain the drops fall squarely on the receiver.

You know whats obvious to me.

1. Having 2 or 3 different position coaches and OCs does wonders for development.👌
2. Evals were spot on from the get go.
3. Gotta have Moarr ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐️s!

will ferrell cowbell GIF

Interesting take on fans.........
Here in the ACC Coastal we have some winners at VT and Carolina...........in Miami gear the sh** gets real when we loose with a few drunk yo yo's shouting crap and trying to get in your face.
When we win they trot out the "miami criminoles" or "convicts" b/s...........
At Duke much calmer.
With Mario now on board........ I will guarantee that the image has changed and the opposing fans will know that the Canes are serious about football now......., and it is just a matter of time before the "shi* hits the fan for so many teams"..losses are going to be coming regularly.........can't wait....

It was a great experience other than the outcome. The tailgate (Lot 43) was poppin from about 11am on to kickoff. We watched some of the day games with some Aggies fans in their RV. As stated, they were super cool people. First, I ran into Mark Richt prior to the teams' arrival outside the stadium. He and his wife were waiting to see their nephews (Max and Jake Johnson) arrive. Took a pic with the legend and joked about who he would be rooting for. Then about 30 minutes later I spotted Coach Orgeron and his gf as we all waited for the Canes' buses to appear. Took a pic with him (he had UM gear on) and chatted about the game for a second. Those two encounters alone were worth the trip to College Station. Definitely would visit again.

Advertisement
Back