O/T Who was faster? Santana Moss or Darryl Jones?

Shipman was fast as ****. Had that crazy 10 ypc average one season.

I always thought he should get more carries, but he was buried behind James Stewart, Larry Jones, and Danyell Ferguson.

Did he get hurt. His stats say he was only here two years. It would have been just him and Danyell in 95. Danyell ran for 1000 but nobody else did much of anything.
I thought there were some grade issues and he left after two years. I think he went to the CFL not sure if he ever played there .

Advertisement
I thought there were some grade issues and he left after two years. I think he went to the CFL not sure if he ever played there .

1644273106174.png

1644273624017.png

Last edited:

Yeah, looks like he went straight from UM to the Canadian Football League, no graduation, no transfer to another school:

1644273936193.png

Advertisement
Ryan Grimmett smoke checked Jammi German on Greentree. I won money that day. I would have loved to see him race Froggy, but the trash talk was between those two.

Semper Canes!!!

It’s too bad we never truly got to see Tory Mitchell play much but what little I saw of him in practice and easily covering Santana In coverage had me convinced he’s the fastest ever. My man ran a 10.1 100m in HS.

@TheSwagger1

Those Texas kids were fast AF. I have a homeboy who's older brother went to UM that was on a sub-40 second, 4 X 100 relay team in HS. That's when we had that real pipeline into Texas, now we get the Corey Flaggs of the world LOL.

All the flipping times I've seen Moss live, his speed was different. Jones was sneaky fast but not the same . Just my opinion.

Advertisement
Darryl Jones on a track. For sure.

With football and pads on? Debatable. But Santana used to fly.

I’ve told the story here a bunch, but in Spring of 99 (I think) Rivals was doing a camp at Greentree, and Crudup, PBuch, and Tory were walking around. They were all nice, but PBuch got pretty open talking about the team. Santana came up and he said something along the lines of nobody but Tory could run with him, and - paraphrasing - Tory’s speed was on another level, forget about it. I’m not saying he’s the fastest, but if someone’s faster they’re freak amongst freaks fast.

Advertisement
I actually asked Daryl at Canes fest and he said Santana in the 40 but he would get Santana in the 100 meters.

That’s fine - but 10.1 is 10.1 and like I said, he was barely breaking a sweat running with tana. Shame we couldn’t see either of them with featured roles here at UM
I’ve told the story here a bunch, but in Spring of 99 (I think) Rivals was doing a camp at Greentree, and Crudup, PBuch, and Tory were walking around. They were all nice, but PBuch got pretty open talking about the team. Santana came up and he said something along the lines of nobody but Tory could run with him, and - paraphrasing - Tory’s speed was on another level, forget about it. I’m not saying he’s the fastest, but if someone’s faster they’re freak amongst freaks fast.

I remember Tory Mitchell running a 10.12 and coming to the U. Not sure what happened to his football career. That is world class speed and not to many people can run that especially in high school. 100 meter times do mean something when running the length of field and out running the angles from the defense.

What was Al Shipman's 100 meter time? Starting to sound like Houston McTear

In 1975 Houston McTear ran a 9.0 in the 100 yards as a junior at a Florida high school state meet and placed second at the US Olympic trails in 1976 of a time of 10.16. Pulled a hamstring and missed the Olympics. He was averaging over 14 yards a carry in high school football. (1,380 yards on 90 rushes) He did not have the grades for college.

Advertisement
I was at that Rivals Camp....remember it well....

Dennis Erickson ran a 4.22 leaving Hecht in 1995......If not for a bottle of Gin in his back pocket...it would've been a 3.89.....

One of the WOW moments :

I was at the OB early in the east end zone where Montes had the Hurricane Club pregame festivities wings and beer .

I saw Santana coming towards the end zone and started returning punts WOW
THAT WAS AMAZING, he had the auto speed shifting gears that would EXPLODE any gear box .

I stood there at the hedges looking in WOW this dude is PREMIER way beyond anyone on this field today we’ll witness a display on National television.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back