O strategy VS Bama front 7 pass rush

Here’s what I suspect…

Alabama will have their defense set up close to the LOS. Not to stuff the run, but to focus on defending passes within 5-7 yards of the LOS. They’ll show a lot of confidence in their DL alone stopping the run. They will (very wisely) believe that our plan early will be the short passing game.

I think our best shot of having success early on offense will be to plan and call plays around the intermediate passing game.

Advertisement
Our outside guys are going to have to beat press man. They’re gonna load the box and dare us to beat them over the top. Charleston Rambo might be out most important player. If our receivers get bullied like they did against Clemson, expect a similar result. If Rambo, Harley or Smith can get loose on the outside, the whole game changes
Luckily they only have 1 CB who really excels in press man and he’s a freshman

Jobe, Armour-Davis, McKinstry, Jackson, Banks, and Arnold all excel in press coverage. Not to mention Branch and Moore in the slot.
I disagree but maybe I can get a little more specific. When I say press man I mean getting your hands on a man and redirecting him. I think Jobe in particular is poor with his hands.. maybe he’s good at press bail/mirroring? Idk. But either way we’ll see pretty early on

Advertisement
First drive will probably be scripted with a bunch of quick passes and misdirection to settle our lineman in.

butttt I wouldn’t be mad at a bomb on 1st down even if it’s not caught set the tone early.
We tried that versus Clemson...

Bama will send the house every play from different gaps. If we can make them pay they back off and we have a game, if not they ‘ll be playing their 3rd string by the 3rd qtr.

Bama will send the house every play from different gaps. If we can make them pay they back off and we have a game, if not they ‘ll be playing their 3rd string by the 3rd qtr.

No sir, BAMA has rarely ever blitz that way. We have been more known for our Boa Constrictor approach on defense. We are more likely to surround the QB and try to take away King's running lanes with a spy. If Bama gets to the QB with our 4 man rush we tend to cut the running game off completely. Will Anderson will be leading the pack with Tim Smith, Phil Mathis, Labryan Ray, and company trying to get push up the middle. Chris Allen is our other OLB and both have their hand in the dirt and they will switch out a lot in our "Nickle" package. If we go "Dime" (our passing defense) we will have both Allen and Anderson rushing the QB.

Here’s what I suspect…

Alabama will have their defense set up close to the LOS. Not to stuff the run, but to focus on defending passes within 5-7 yards of the LOS. They’ll show a lot of confidence in their DL alone stopping the run. They will (very wisely) believe that our plan early will be the short passing game.

I think our best shot of having success early on offense will be to plan and call plays around the intermediate passing game.

I feel this.

I just don’t want to get sucked into the trap so many defensive coordinators have baited us into. They bring everybody up and bait us to heave incompletions deep down the sideline. Those are low percentage throws and what good defensive coordinators make you chase.

Just because they line up tight doesn’t automatically take away the short game, but you do have to prepare with a variety of plays to account for robber defenders and disguised zone coverages.

Quarterbacks get uncomfortable when the middle is crowded, so the coaching is key. Proper play designs and progressions can get you quick, easy throws to the middle even if the pre snap read makes it seem like it might not be there.

Advertisement
I feel this.

I just don’t want to get sucked into the trap so many defensive coordinators have baited us into. They bring everybody up and bait us to heave incompletions deep down the sideline. Those are low percentage throws and what good defensive coordinators make you chase.

Just because they line up tight doesn’t automatically take away the short game, but you do have to prepare with a variety of plays to account for robber defenders and disguised zone coverages.

Quarterbacks get uncomfortable when the middle is crowded, so the coaching is key. Proper play designs and progressions can get you quick, easy throws to the middle even if the pre snap read makes it seem like it might not be there.

This is going to be a big deal because of King's happy feet. If the OL gives him some time or he is able to create space and buy some extra seconds then press coverage can backfire a little. If the QB is feeling the heat from the Bama rush immediately, then Bama will try to stop the slants and bubble screen stuff at the LOS. I think time is the question and the answer for everybody in the first game of the season.

This is going to be a big deal because of King's happy feet. If the OL gives him some time or he is able to create space and buy some extra seconds then press coverage can backfire a little. If the QB is feeling the heat from the Bama rush immediately, then Bama will try to stop the slants and bubble screen stuff at the LOS. I think time is the question and the answer for everybody in the first game of the season.

Exactly.

Interior pressure played a big role in King’s lack of poise. It got so bad it made him not trust those guys even when protection was there. King likes to climb the pocket and attack the line against pressure, but when the pocket collapsed from the middle, it messed things up.

Rivers and Donaldson should improve this a lot. I think we will see the most poised,patient version of King he has ever been in his life.

Keep the pressure out of his face and he has the inside track on the Heisman.

Exactly.

Interior pressure played a big role in King’s lack of poise. It got so bad it made him not trust those guys even when protection was there. King likes to climb the pocket and attack the line against pressure, but when the pocket collapsed from the middle, it messed things up.

Rivers and Donaldson should improve this a lot. I think we will see the most poised,patient version of King he has ever been in his life.

Keep the pressure out of his face and he has the inside track on the Heisman.
That reminds me a little of Jalen Hurt's time at Bama. Such a dangerous and dynamic runner but he wasn't patient in the pocket and SEC defenses caught on. He would flush out to his right and it just stopped being effective. What is ironic is that he can actually throw the ball and finally learned to step up in the pocket, buy some time and get the ball out. Every time I see him, even at Philly, I'm amazed and surprise he finally stopped doing something so instinctive for him as run first.

They're going to load the box and pressure the QB as much as possible. What's the best strategy for that?
Quick passes, sprinkle in some screens, and quick hitting passes up the seams. If we try and just line up and run the ball the outcome won't be great. Spread them out and run the ball that way.

Advertisement
Quick passes, sprinkle in some screens, and quick hitting passes up the seams. If we try and just line up and run the ball the outcome won't be great. Spread them out and run the ball that way.
i agree with this, we have to be moving vertical at all times. We won't win laterally against these guys nor inside the box so quick seams and a lot of misdirection mixed in with some turnover chain will be the way to go in my opinion

If our players don't win their battles, no scheme is going to matter. I made a thread before about the number one thing that im looking for v Bama, and its how our OL does against their front 7. More specifically, how our Guards and Center do Against their inside DL. We must be able to get 3 or 4 yards consistently and then after that our RBs have to break tackles and make people miss. Bama is not just gonna have Toll road lanes open up in their defense. I do hope we spread them out regardless of what personnel we put out there. Bama has big front 7 guys and the tempo maybe able to wear them down while they try to wear us down with physicality. We must answer their punches with punches of our own and please for the love of god, no penalties, or atleast not close or above double digits. For some reason i have a feeling our team is gonna be like one of those Chip Kelly Oregon team with Lashlee finally having the offseason.

Advertisement
Back