O line has Chance to be great next season

Advertisement
Regardless of who wins the spots, I think the big news is there should be enough depth across the line that guys can play at their natural positions. It's been a scramble every year to find 'the best 5' and any injury resulted in needing to reshuffle the whole line. Left tackle goes out and the canes are moving RT to LT, RG to RT, and bring in a new guard. Its rough on building a cohesive OL and player development.

Zion has had one of the best if not the best years out of all our OL

He will start at LT

LT - Zion
LG - Navaughn
C - Gaynor
RG - Rivers or Campbell or Scaife
RT - Scaife or Rivers or Campbell

IMO Campbell is a G (he’s looked average to bad at T, but good at G) and Scaife is a T (he’s looked Average to bad at G but good at RT). The staff should swap their positions but idk if they will

And someone like Rivers might steal their spot anyways

The right side of the line competition will be interesting to follow through the offseason into next year

Advertisement
this board has a disease of wanting to put any highly recruited freshman right into the starting line up lol. has walker even practiced this year? the idea that we're going to throw him onto the field vs alabama w/o having taken a single meaningful rep in his life is absurd. if he really starts coming along he might start to get into the rotation in the middle of next year. as a starter he's looking at 2022.

LT Nelson / Campbell / McGlaughlin

LG Donaldson / Traore / Seymore

C Gaynor / Clark / Rodriguez

RG Scaife / Reed / Elgammal

RT Rivers / Walker / Washington
Season 9 No GIF by The Office

I need Scaife to either play better or get passed up by better player. I dont wanna see the current version against Bama. Someone need to take over the RT spot as well. Scaife is a big reason why we cant run the ball inside. Our gaurds got manhandled almost every game, no push or movement. Glad Lashee start putting in toss plays and runs to the outside

Looking ahead, our depth, experience, skill and size on the O-Line should help put us in position to compete for a playoff spot next year (assuming King returns or UCF kid transfers in). Donaldson look good in his limited 26 snaps against Duke, and seems highly motivated to work and be elite next season. Gaynor & scaife game experience and being seniors should peak. There will be tough competition With Jalen Rivers, Isiah Walker the new crop and John Campbell, Zion Nelson the older crop at tackle. Jakai Clark, Cleveland Reed competing at guard likely will have added competition with Campbell, Zion Nelson and possibly Rivers also being potential guards to get our best group on the field.

I think our best group will be and somewhat hoping for:
First Team - Isiah Walker / Navaugn Donaldson/ Corey Gaynor/ Deleon Scaife/ Jalen Rivers
Second team - John Campbell/ Lawrence Seymour/ Jakai Clark/ Cleveland Reed/ Zion Nelson,
Chris Washington still an improving project (Washington & McLaughlin size great tackle length)
Frosh: Lawrence Seymour/ Ryan Rodriguez/ Michael McLaughlin
You lost me as soon as you had an untested, injured, transfer RFr as the starting LT over a 2 year returning starter. It would be amazing if Walker was that good next year but there is nothing that has been witnessed at the college level to verify that hope.

Advertisement
Looking ahead, our depth, experience, skill and size on the O-Line should help put us in position to compete for a playoff spot next year (assuming King returns or UCF kid transfers in). Donaldson look good in his limited 26 snaps against Duke, and seems highly motivated to work and be elite next season. Gaynor & scaife game experience and being seniors should peak. There will be tough competition With Jalen Rivers, Isiah Walker the new crop and John Campbell, Zion Nelson the older crop at tackle. Jakai Clark, Cleveland Reed competing at guard likely will have added competition with Campbell, Zion Nelson and possibly Rivers also being potential guards to get our best group on the field.

I think our best group will be and somewhat hoping for:
First Team - Isiah Walker / Navaugn Donaldson/ Corey Gaynor/ Deleon Scaife/ Jalen Rivers
Second team - John Campbell/ Lawrence Seymour/ Jakai Clark/ Cleveland Reed/ Zion Nelson,
Chris Washington still an improving project (Washington & McLaughlin size great tackle length)
Frosh: Lawrence Seymour/ Ryan Rodriguez/ Michael McLaughlin
"Great"? C'mon man. Nobody enjoys the Canes like I do, but pump the brakes on some of this hyperbole.

LAUGHING my *** off.
so Walker is gonna take Zion spot. The same Zion who has kept Campbell on the bench.. Scaife sucks. Rivers should get his spot. Bump Campbell out to RT maybe. But you sure should be checked into a rehab clinic for substance abuse!!!
😄

Advertisement
Advertisement
Left to right:

LT Nelson - LG Donaldson - C Gaynor - RG Scaife - RT Rivers

I expect Clark will enter the portal.

Plus, I think Donaldson will have a big year. A money year. Men his size don't come along that often and he knows that if he shows well against Alabama in the kickoff game he will be a high draft pick.

I don't think we can be great next season, maybe good and that's great progress. I want to have open competitions for all the spots.
I doubt Nelson will be beat, he's legit good and probably will be even better next year. Huge confidence boost this season plus a whole offseason to work with his weight stabilized.

We're below average in all 3 interior positions right now.
We need to do something at G if we want to hang with Bama and Clemson next year, we can't move anybody on the inside.
I hope somebody beats Gaynor, he's not good. People have said Scaife money position is at C, so I hope him, Clark and Rodriguez can push for that spot, but I'm not hopeful. He is the leader of the OL and most experienced so I doubt he's spot is avaiable.

Nelson-Donaldson-Scaife/Clark/Gaynor-Rivers/Campbell-Walker/Rivers/Campbell I can see a version with 5 of those player being our best version

Nelson should 100 percent be the favorite for starting left tackle next year. What an improvement he’s made. My line would Nelson, Donaldson, gaynor, Campbell/rivers( whoever wins the battle) and scaife ( will be much better at right tackle than guard). We should have some good depth also in case of injuries with Clark, walker, and some other guys.
That would be the odds on favor of starters but there’s young guys coming. The right side being the most questionable. Scaife would be in the conversation too.

Advertisement
Back