Nysier Brooks to the portal

Your question sounds like it's a unique Miami thing. 75 other schools face the same issue. But ... becoming a perennial also-ran and finishing last in the ACC didn't help.
True, to be honest I don’t follow college basketball recruiting/transfer news closely at all. Really only tune in when it’s conference tourney and NCAA tourney season.

Wasn’t sure if this was a response to some incident or something.

Advertisement
Can we really be the 76th team to lose 5 guys to the portal this year?

I knew it was bad but ****!

I guess that means that there is a ton of eligible transfers out there to choose from to refill the roster. Obviously Miami isn't currently as desirable as it has been in the past under coach L but if Wong were to come back and Mcgusty with some freshman...if you can convince some decent guys to transfer in ya never know. One of the more fun seasons I remember was with Sheldon McLellan and Angel Rodriguez leading the team as 2 transfers...im holding out a small glimmer of hope for a quick turnaround but I would also like to see Coach L retire.

I guess that means that there is a ton of eligible transfers out there to choose from to refill the roster. Obviously Miami isn't currently as desirable as it has been in the past under coach L but if Wong were to come back and Mcgusty with some freshman...if you can convince some decent guys to transfer in ya never know. One of the more fun seasons I remember was with Sheldon McLellan and Angel Rodriguez leading the team as 2 transfers...im holding out a small glimmer of hope for a quick turnaround but I would also like to see Coach L retire.
Regardless of how bad a state the program may be in, Miami always has the beautiful campus, the weather and the general So Fla vibe going for it. In a way that Spokane and Waco or Lawrence, KS, Lexington, KY, Champaign, IL , etc never can hope for. That still ought to be worth something in the recruiting wars.

Advertisement
Regardless of how bad a state the program may be in, Miami always has the beautiful campus, the weather and the general So Fla vibe going for it. In a way that Spokane and Waco or Lawrence, KS, Lexington, KY, Champaign, IL , etc never can hope for. That still ought to be worth something in the recruiting wars.

Unfortunately, covid has mitigated a lot of those advantages. What's the point of a nice campus if your classes are all online? Similarly, you can't really enjoy the "finer parts" of Miami when a single positive test f cks the whole team.

Unfortunately, covid has mitigated a lot of those advantages. What's the point of a nice campus if your classes are all online? Similarly, you can't really enjoy the "finer parts" of Miami when a single positive test f cks the whole team.
Well, if we get as many people as possible vaccinated (including athletic teams), maybe we finally can put this all behind us. But you're right, it does somewhat negate what should be advantages for us.

Advertisement
Well, if we get as many people as possible vaccinated (including athletic teams), maybe we finally can put this all behind us. But you're right, it does somewhat negate what should be advantages for us.

Not really. If the coaching staff would recruit in-state kids, you could always sell playing close to home.
Unfortunately, our coach is stubborn and set in his ways. Which is why he needs to be replaced.

Advertisement
I think everyone agrees that Florida HS ball has really significantly improved over the past decade. Vernon Carey, Jr. was the top recruit in the USA when he came out just a few years ago. Also, think Allapattah had encouraging news that the best is yet to come (meaning the next few years of Florida HS classes are really stocked with both quantity and quality).

From this, and recent seasons, I'm very familiar with Raiquan and Scottie at FSU, and Tre Mann/Colin Castleton from UF. Can anyone give me other names, though, of standout Florida HS players who have made their reputations at other schools across the nation say, since 2015? Were/are there any in this current NCAA tourney we're watching who come to mind?

I ask because, to stock in-state quality college teams in UM, FSU and UF (and UCF, USF??), it'll take a helluva lot more "local" HS standouts than the handful named above. Even more true if we don't count non-Florida kids prepping at athletic factories like IMG and Montverde.

I think everyone agrees that Florida HS ball has really significantly improved over the past decade. Vernon Carey, Jr. was the top recruit in the USA when he came out just a few years ago. Also, think Allapattah had encouraging news that the best is yet to come (meaning the next few years of Florida HS classes are really stocked with both quantity and quality).

From this, and recent seasons, I'm very familiar with Raiquan and Scottie at FSU, and Tre Mann/Colin Castleton from UF. Can anyone give me other names, though, of standout Florida HS players who have made their reputations at other schools across the nation say, since 2015? Were/are there any in this current NCAA tourney we're watching who come to mind?

I ask because, to stock in-state quality college teams in UM, FSU and UF (and UCF, USF??), it'll take a helluva lot more "local" HS standouts than the handful named above. Even more true if we don't count non-Florida kids prepping at athletic factories like IMG and Montverde.
off top of my head: also none of the kids listed below went to the hs basketball factories

Grayson Allen (Duke)
Joel Berry (UNC)
dwayne bacon (FSU)
Casey Hill (UF)
Colin Castleton (UF)
Patrick Young (UF)
Zach Johnson (FGCU)
Fletcher McGee (Wofford)
Ryan McMahon (Louisville)

Last edited:
Advertisement
off top of my head: also none of the kids listed below went to the hs basketball factories

Grayson Allen (Duke)
Joel Berry (UNC)
dwayne bacon (FSU)
Casey Hill (UF)
Colin Castleton (UF)
Patrick Young (UF)
Zach Johnson (FGCU)
Fletcher McGee (Wofford)
Ryan McMahon (Louisville)
Corey Sanders (Rutgers)
Kerry Blackshear (VT, uf)
Juwan Durham (ND)
Kevin Knox (UK)
Darin Green Jr (UCF)

Here's a brief list of players from Florida who've had some success at the collegiate level since 2015.

Class of 2015:
Dwayne Bacon (FSU) ***NBA
Antonio Blakeney (LSU) ***NBA
John Collins (Wake Forest) ***NBA
Justin James (Wyoming) ***NBA
Corey Sanders (Rutgers)

Class of 2016:
Jonathan Isaac (FSU) ***NBA
Tony Bradley (UNC) ***NBA
Trent Forrest (FSU) ***NBA
John Mooney (Notre Dame) 1st All-ACC
LJ Figueroa (Oregon)

Class of 2017:
Kevin Knox (Kentucky) ***NBA
Paul Reed (DePaul) ***NBA
Trent Frazier (Illinois)
Chaundee Brown (Michigan)
Jamari Wheeler (Penn St.) just transferred to Ohio St.

Class of 2018:
Nassir Little (UNC) ***NBA
Anfarnee Simons (Louisville) ***NBA - never made it to Louisville; went into the draft after prep school
Emmitt Williams (LSU) ***NBA G-League
Colin Castleton (Florida)
Darius Days (LSU)

Class of 2019:
Vernon Carey (Duke) ***NBA
CJ Walker (Oregon)
Tyrell Jones (Auburn)
Tre Mann (Florida)
Omar Payne (Florida)

Class of 2020:
Scottie Barnes (FSU)
Norchad Omier (Arkansas St.)
Miguel Selton (Kansas St.)
Dudley Blackwell (Iowa St.)
Tony Sanders (Notre Dame)

I'm sure I'm missing some names here. In addition, there are at least a handful of other players who made it to the NBA that are from Florida (Class of 2011-2014) who Coach L couldn't sign at Miami.

Here's a brief list of players from Florida who've had some success at the collegiate level since 2015.

Class of 2015:
Dwayne Bacon (FSU) ***NBA
Antonio Blakeney (LSU) ***NBA
John Collins (Wake Forest) ***NBA
Justin James (Wyoming) ***NBA
Corey Sanders (Rutgers)

Class of 2016:
Jonathan Isaac (FSU) ***NBA
Tony Bradley (UNC) ***NBA
Trent Forrest (FSU) ***NBA
John Mooney (Notre Dame) 1st All-ACC
LJ Figueroa (Oregon)

Class of 2017:
Kevin Knox (Kentucky) ***NBA
Paul Reed (DePaul) ***NBA
Trent Frazier (Illinois)
Chaundee Brown (Michigan)
Jamari Wheeler (Penn St.) just transferred to Ohio St.

Class of 2018:
Nassir Little (UNC) ***NBA
Anfarnee Simons (Louisville) ***NBA - never made it to Louisville; went into the draft after prep school
Emmitt Williams (LSU) ***NBA G-League
Colin Castleton (Florida)
Darius Days (LSU)

Class of 2019:
Vernon Carey (Duke) ***NBA
CJ Walker (Oregon)
Tyrell Jones (Auburn)
Tre Mann (Florida)
Omar Payne (Florida)

Class of 2020:
Scottie Barnes (FSU)
Norchad Omier (Arkansas St.)
Miguel Selton (Kansas St.)
Dudley Blackwell (Iowa St.)
Tony Sanders (Notre Dame)

I'm sure I'm missing some names here. In addition, there are at least a handful of other players who made it to the NBA that are from Florida (Class of 2011-2014) who Coach L couldn't sign at Miami.

FWIW, wasn't Nassir Little the dude that got us wrapped up in the FBI investigation in the first place?

Really deflating to see all those names. You'd think we could have gotten a few just on pure chance.

Chaundee Brown --don't remember him as such a pure outside shooter when he was at Wake. Sure was doing the job at Michigan this season and in the Tourney.

Advertisement
Back