Nysier Brooks to the portal

Really deflating to see all those names. You'd think we could have gotten a few just on pure chance.

Chaundee Brown --don't remember him as such a pure outside shooter when he was at Wake. Sure was doing the job at Michigan this season and in the Tourney.
We were Joel Berry’s 1st offer under L. Didn’t make a difference in the end and it seemed like it deflated L, because since that day he has ignored a lot of good prospects in the state of Florida. Only ones he has chased/gotten were:

amp Lawrence (very mediocre hooper in the state all things considered)
Dewan Huell
Vernon Carey

That’s just not going to cut it

Advertisement
it really puts it into context how incompetent this staff has been while listing those names above. I have no issue with ignoring the state of Florida if we were rolling on the trail and consistently getting guys like Bruce brown, Lonnie, Lykes, etc. But we’re all in here begging for the staff to find guys to fill roster spots as role players.

For the 20 guys we named above that all had very solid careers on tournament teams. I can name 50 more from the state of Florida that went mid major that could have easily found a role on these rosters over the last few years

We were Joel Berry’s 1st offer under L. Didn’t make a difference in the end and it seemed like it deflated L, because since that day he has ignored a lot of good prospects in the state of Florida. Only ones he has chased/gotten were:

Dewan Huell
Vernon Carey

Coach L did also successfully recruit Shane Larkin (don't think he was techically a transfer), Tonye Jekiri and Deandre Burnett out of state High Schools. Larkin was terrific, Jekiri was way more than serviceable, and Burnett transferred out (no big loss).

If you count transfer players L signed who attended HS in Florida, you could add Kenny Kadji, Zach Johnson, Keith Stone, Angel Rodriguez, and Joe Thomas. (Don't know if L tried and failed to recruit any/all of these players while they were in high school.)

Coach L did also successfully recruit Shane Larkin (don't think he was techically a transfer), Tonye Jekiri and Deandre Burnett out of state High Schools. Larkin was terrific, Jekiri was way more than serviceable, and Burnett transferred out (no big loss).

If you count transfer players L signed who attended HS in Florida, you could add Kenny Kadji, Zach Johnson, Keith Stone, Angel Rodriguez, and Joe Thomas. (Don't know if L tried and failed to recruit any/all of these players while they were in high school.)
Good call on Burnett. Forgot he was dalvin cooks brother. I believe Larkin signed somewhere else (Cincinnati?) before transferring here.

Good call on Burnett. Forgot he was dalvin cooks brother. I believe Larkin signed somewhere else (Cincinnati?) before transferring here.
It was DePaul, IIRC but ...he never played there. Not sure he ever even showed up for classes. Had a medical reason to be allowed out of his Letter and became immediately eligible at UM.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Dewan Huell
Vernon Carey

If Berry is the reason, then it's time to build a bridge and get over it. The recruiting world can be cruel, but you can't be in your feelings when you're trying to convince kids & parents to commit to your program.

If Berry is the reason, then it's time to build a bridge and get over it. The recruiting world can be cruel, but you can't be in your feelings when you're trying to convince kids & parents to commit to your program.
Exactly. And yet there’s homers on here like @Canedude08 who insist we shouldn’t recruit Florida kids because the blue chippers like Berry, Carey, and Barnes spurned UM and are "prima donnas". Guess what? It’s recruiting. You need to move on and keep fighting for the next recruit. It’s not always going to go your way.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Larkin transferred in from DePaul.

Miami didn't start recruiting Tonye til his senior year of HS. Biggest reason he stayed home was the school's principal who is a big UM supporter got involved and convinced Tonye that Miami was a great fit for him. Up until the fall of his senior year of HS, Tonye was heading to FIU because of the relationship he'd built with that coaching staff.

Got on Deandre late as well but there weren't a lot of schools on him at that point so Miami got him in after he came back from prep school. Also, I wouldn't say Burnett was no big loss for our program. He went to Ole Miss and averaged 15ppg during his 2 years there.

This staff did NOT recruit Zach Johnson out of high school. I don't even think they knew what he looked like. I don't think they recruited Stone out of HS neither. Kadji, Angel and Thomas graduated HS before Larranaga got to Miami.

Last edited:
Larkin transferred in from DePaul.

Miami didn't start recruiting Tonye til his senior year of HS. Biggest reason he stayed home was the school's principal who is a big UM supporter got involved and convinced Tonye that Miami was a great fit for him. Up until the fall of his senior year of HS, Tonye was heading to FIU because of the relationship he'd built with that coaching staff.

Got on Deandre late as well but there weren't a lot of schools on him at that point so Miami got him in after he came back from prep school. Also, I wouldn't say Burnett was no big loss for our program. He went to Ole Miss and averaged 15ppg during his 2 years there.

This staff did NOT recruit Zach Johnson out of high school. I don't even think they knew what he looked like. I don't think they recruited Stone out of HS neither. Kadji, Angel and Thomas graduated HS before Larranaga got to Miami.
Deandre, in his one year at UM, shot 29% from behind the arc (back in the good old days when we had really good outside shooters and a 3 pt FG% like that really stood out). He was streaky with his shooting at Ole Miss. Shot them in and out of many games in racking up those 15 ppg.

We had Angel, Sheldon and Palmer at G in 2015-16, and Bruce, Dejan, and JaQuan at the position the year after. Don't think Deandre would have gotten all that much PT. Probably saw the writing on the wall ...

Enjoy your inside scoop on local players. Keep it coming!

Deandre, in his one year at UM, shot 29% from behind the arc (back in the good old days when we had really good outside shooters and a 3 pt FG% like that really stood out). He was streaky with his shooting at Ole Miss. Shot them in and out of many games in racking up those 15 ppg.

We had Angel, Sheldon and Palmer at G in 2015-16, and Bruce, Dejan, and JaQuan at the position the year after. Don't think Deandre would have gotten all that much PT. Probably saw the writing on the wall ...

Enjoy your inside scoop on local players. Keep it coming!

He was also in the doghouse constantly.

Advertisement
Back