2023 Nyckoles Harbor: 6'5, 230 ATH from DC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Precisely which is why im saying we struggle to recruit like SEC schools, they can offer a partial and govt pay the rest of the tuition. You don't have that luxury at Miami unless they pay the whole of it. So that's why our numbers dont add up to challenge for a national title. Im not certain which private schools are up there in track nationally. Would have to see their approach if there is one.
Private schools get federal tuition (Pell grants) just like public schools. Private schools don't get other federal or state funding that public schools get. The issue is that tuition and cost of attendance are about double the cost of public universities.

Private schools do offer more financial aid than public schools. They generally have large endowments. When I was researching colleges when my son was in high school, I was surprised to learn that the average public university graduate leaves with nearly $30k in debt, while an ivy league graduate leaves with the same to even 1/3 of the debt of a public school college graduate.

Because Miami is a private institution, they're not required to publish they're financial statistics. I would think student debt would be on par with the Ivy league schools and no worse than state schools.

Private schools get federal tuition (Pell grants) just like public schools. Private schools don't get other federal or state funding that public schools get. The issue is that tuition and cost of attendance are about double the cost of public universities.

Private schools do offer more financial aid than public schools. They generally have large endowments. When I was researching colleges when my son was in high school, I was surprised to learn that the average public university graduate leaves with nearly $30k in debt, while an ivy league graduate leaves with the same to even 1/3 of the debt of a public school college graduate.

Because Miami is a private institution, they're not required to publish they're financial statistics. I would think student debt would be on par with the Ivy league schools and no worse than state schools.
I would guess 70% of the Ivy League Schools are made of the 1% most wealthy families in America. The other 30% are athletes, Valedictorians of their class, etc. who are getting scholarships from many different avenues not just from the schools.

I would guess 70% of the Ivy League Schools are made of the 1% most wealthy families in America. The other 30% are athletes, Valedictorians of their class, etc. who are getting scholarships from many different avenues not just from the schools.
I went to Amherst, technically not an Ivy league school but the demographics are pretty much identical. Amherst is considerably smaller than the Ivy league universities, but over 60% of the student population is receiving at least some financial aid. I'd imagine it's similar at the Harvards and Yales of the world.

You are correct that there's a higher percentage of athletes relative to the student body population than at public universities (Amherst is almost 50-50, athletes to NARPs) and the 1% is certainly well-represented. But in recent years most elite colleges have been allowing fewer legacy students and moving towards a more progressive admissions structure, which is why we are seeing less of the ultra-wealthy admitted nowadays and such a high percentage of students receiving aid.

I remember researching those stats. They are for people with student loan debt. Those with no debt are not counted. Same goes for the public schools.

The Ivy League schools just have so much money they can give out and most of the students that aren't from wealthy backgrounds are smart and get plenty of scholarships. They get over 300,000 applications with an acceptance rate of just under 7% while public universities are around 30%. So, most of the students at Ivy League schools are gifted academically, unless their parents are wealthy and/or play sports with good enough grades.

The point really is that the private institutions have and provide the funds for their graduates to be under the debt of public university graduates. It was something I was completely unaware of until my research.

Advertisement
I went to Amherst, technically not an Ivy league school but the demographics are pretty much identical. Amherst is considerably smaller than the Ivy league universities, but over 60% of the student population is receiving at least some financial aid. I'd imagine it's similar at the Harvards and Yales of the world.

You are correct that there's a higher percentage of athletes relative to the student body population than at public universities (Amherst is almost 50-50, athletes to NARPs) and the 1% is certainly well-represented. But in recent years most elite colleges have been allowing fewer legacy students and moving towards a more progressive admissions structure, which is why we are seeing less of the ultra-wealthy admitted nowadays and such a high percentage of students receiving aid.
Bates grad here, not on the same field as Amherst but the NESCAC is an extremely competitive academic environment

Bates grad here, not on the same field as Amherst but the NESCAC is an extremely competitive academic environment
Bates is actually the only NESCAC school I've never been to. Hockey was my sport and you guys don't have a team so I never made the trip to Lewiston

almost went to amherst over yale.

great place

Advertisement
almost went to amherst over yale.

great place
A classmates of mines dad went to Yale for undergrad and for 5-6 years after school we would always plan a round at the Yale Golf course over the summer. Think itā€™s rated number one or two college golf course in the country (the other is Taconic @ Williams). Great spot and I love that white clam pizza

Bates is actually the only NESCAC school I've never been to. Hockey was my sport and you guys don't have a team so I never made the trip to Lewiston
I actually never got a chance to travel up to Amherst for a series, although I did visit the campus and tour with Coach Hamm (I think he bolted in 2018). As for Lewiston...let's just say it's an acquired taste šŸ˜… . Stayed on campus mostly, although Portland was a cool city with underrated food.

The most heartbreaking experience I had was the semifinals of the NESCAC Championship against you guys...we take a 3-2 lead heading Bottom 12, our all-conference closer goes out for his third inning of work...and there's a bunt play that made FoulPollSports on instagram with thousands of views. Thew that thing as he was falling about 30 feet in the air, and we were done after that. Ended up getting walked off at like 1 am, I have to find this link because honestly as painful as it was at the time, it's hilarious now.

There's a rumor that the guy who built the hockey rink did it for his son, but he eventually got cut from the team as they were constructing it. He then purposefully made the dimensions close enough to resemble a hockey rink, but left it short so that it wasn't regulation. Probably not true, but it would be so Bates for that to happen.

Colby's facilities are phenomenal, our field was so trash/covered in snow and ice that we'd play some games there on their heated turf...man money makes a difference.

I actually never got a chance to travel up to Amherst for a series, although I did visit the campus and tour with Coach Hamm (I think he bolted in 2018). As for Lewiston...let's just say it's an acquired taste šŸ˜… . Stayed on campus mostly, although Portland was a cool city with underrated food.

The most heartbreaking experience I had was the semifinals of the NESCAC Championship against you guys...we take a 3-2 lead heading Bottom 12, our all-conference closer goes out for his third inning of work...and there's a bunt play that made FoulPollSports on instagram with thousands of views. Thew that thing as he was falling about 30 feet in the air, and we were done after that. Ended up getting walked off at like 1 am, I have to find this link because honestly as painful as it was at the time, it's hilarious now.

There's a rumor that the guy who built the hockey rink did it for his son, but he eventually got cut from the team as they were constructing it. He then purposefully made the dimensions close enough to resemble a hockey rink, but left it short so that it wasn't regulation. Probably not true, but it would be so Bates for that to happen.

Colby's facilities are phenomenal, our field was so trash/covered in snow and ice that we'd play some games there on their heated turf...man money makes a difference.
Napoleon Dynamite GIF

Advertisement

ā€œMIAMI IS RECRUITING THE HARDESTā€​

11040168.jpg
(Photo: Christopher Stock, 247Sports)
Cainā€™s addition to LSUā€™s isnā€™t the only example of a suitor benefitting from coaching movement. The same is true for Miami, which vaulted up Harborā€™s list upon hiring Mario Cristobal.
ā€œI loved Coach Cristobal when he was at Oregon. I just don't like Oregon,ā€ Harbor said laughingly. ā€œLet me restate that: I liked the school, Oregon. I don't like Oregon itself. There is nothing to do out there besides woods, hiking, and fresh air. (Laughter)ā€
ā€œThe 'Canes I'll say are (recruiting) the hardest. Once (Cristobal) got there and once the new staff got there, theyā€™re recruiting me (the hardest). They put their blood, sweat and tears into this recruitment and itā€™s paid off.ā€
Another factor resonating with Harbor is presence of former NFL greats in and around the Hurricane program
ā€œThey came at me with Ed Reed, Jason Taylor... they came at me with people that I looked up to,ā€ he said, ā€œEd Reed was probably my favorite player. When I got on the phone with him, I was starstruck. ā€˜This is Ed Reed. I've seen you play on TV. I played with you on Madden and now you're on the phone with me?ā€™ Iā€™ve got his phone number. I watched Ed Reed in the Super Bowl, and now Iā€™ve got his phone number? It's just mind-boggling. And then with that, my parents really liked him. My parents liked him, and I liked him too.ā€

Advertisement

ā€œMIAMI IS RECRUITING THE HARDESTā€​

11040168.jpg
(Photo: Christopher Stock, 247Sports)
Cainā€™s addition to LSUā€™s isnā€™t the only example of a suitor benefitting from coaching movement. The same is true for Miami, which vaulted up Harborā€™s list upon hiring Mario Cristobal.
ā€œI loved Coach Cristobal when he was at Oregon. I just don't like Oregon,ā€ Harbor said laughingly. ā€œLet me restate that: I liked the school, Oregon. I don't like Oregon itself. There is nothing to do out there besides woods, hiking, and fresh air. (Laughter)ā€
ā€œThe 'Canes I'll say are (recruiting) the hardest. Once (Cristobal) got there and once the new staff got there, theyā€™re recruiting me (the hardest). They put their blood, sweat and tears into this recruitment and itā€™s paid off.ā€
Another factor resonating with Harbor is presence of former NFL greats in and around the Hurricane program
ā€œThey came at me with Ed Reed, Jason Taylor... they came at me with people that I looked up to,ā€ he said, ā€œEd Reed was probably my favorite player. When I got on the phone with him, I was starstruck. ā€˜This is Ed Reed. I've seen you play on TV. I played with you on Madden and now you're on the phone with me?ā€™ Iā€™ve got his phone number. I watched Ed Reed in the Super Bowl, and now Iā€™ve got his phone number? It's just mind-boggling. And then with that, my parents really liked him. My parents liked him, and I liked him too.ā€
ā€œeD rEed ISh jUSh A fIguReHEadā€

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back