number one need for improvement? IMO

canesfan2002

Recruit
I think the number one need for this football program is to improve their overall strenth, especially the o-line and d-line.
Sure I would like to see the best recruiting class in history, and yes improved conditioning, better overall football intelligence, more disiplined behavior, better team leadership, faster skilled players, better hands for all receivers, smarter QB play etc.

But they will never win the important football games when the o-line is getting pushed around and the d-line is allowing teams to hold onto the ball with an effective running game.

K-State, Virginia, VT, and BC games were lost because our o-lines and d-lines were dominated. We had better of equal skilled players but our lines on both sides of the ball were weaker than those teams. The FSU and Maryland games were lost for several reasons but the lines were also part of the problem.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. Is that just a football saying or is it true?
We have talent but not enough strenth.
NUMBER ONE NEED is to get stronger!

Advertisement
Agreed 100%. Throw LBs in there as well. I'll give up a speedy 210 lbs for an average speed 230 lbs any day of the week.

We got pushed around in nearly every game this year. I thought Porter flashed some potential in his 2 games this year but we need that kind of penetration out of our DT's all season.

And with the size of our OL we need to push teams off the LOS more regularly. They played small all year.

All of the above are deserving of mention. To me the #1 problem that needs to be addressed is cover corners(or DB's in general).
If we had any skill at the DB position, we beat Maryland,VT,UVA,FSU and BC. All of those games came down to our DB's inability to make a play and stop a drive. Too many times on 3rd and long, the QB's were able to find wide open receivers with ease.

Honestly it's like one big circle.

The issue with the corners is very real but it gets exagerated when their QB`s get an inordinate amount of time to look at every receiver more than once.
Our lack of strenth impacts the D-lines pass rushing ability, they can not push off blocks. And the lack of strenth inhibits the corners abilities to re-route the receivers.
Pushed by a feather, rushed by a slight breeze. Yes we play small and weak.
Also the stonger you are the tougher you can play.

Advertisement
The issue with the corners is very real but it gets exagerated when their QB`s get an inordinate amount of time to look at every receiver more than once.
Our lack of strenth impacts the D-lines pass rushing ability, they can not push off blocks. And the lack of strenth inhibits the corners abilities to re-route the receivers.
Pushed by a feather, rushed by a slight breeze. Yes we play small and weak.
Also the stonger you are the tougher you can play.

This debate can easily answered by who made more plays. Yes the DL is soft and they wear down as the game goes on. But there have been moments when they have plated relatively well. The same cannot be said of the DB's. They were no better against BC than they were against MD.

Imvho we're 9-3 without the suspensions. What then? You can't argue that he was dealing with a full deck. With that said yes DB, LB and DT/OL are my biggest concern. We're just not violent enough in those areas. You'll be able to tell from the pad noise/pad level whether we're improving in those areas. When you listen to Alabam, LSU, **** even Arkansas OL come off the ball it's a violent noise. Ours sounds friendly like a basket of puppies

We do seem like a much smaller team than in the past, especially at LB. I mean Cook and Leon might not have been that good while they were here but they certainly looked like Miami backers.

Imvho we're 9-3 without the suspensions. What then? You can't argue that he was dealing with a full deck. With that said yes DB, LB and DT/OL are my biggest concern. We're just not violent enough in those areas. You'll be able to tell from the pad noise/pad level whether we're improving in those areas. When you listen to Alabam, LSU, **** even Arkansas OL come off the ball it's a violent noise. Ours sounds friendly like a basket of puppies

That is message board gold right there, literally made me LOL. Wife thought I was on crack.

I agree with pretty much everything said in this thread. We definitely need to get stronger (definitely physically but also mentally) on both sides of the ball.

Advertisement
We do seem like a much smaller team than in the past, especially at LB. I mean Cook and Leon might not have been that good while they were here but they certainly looked like Miami backers.
Wait, wat?

Cook? Glenn cook?

Dude didn't look like a LB at all. Gtfooh.

Would have to agree if there is ONE thing to put at the top, its the OL/DL situation. Im really concerned with the OL situation. I cant imagine how guys like GUnn were constantly getting knocked off the line. These guys are ******* HUGE. There was NO reason for them to not be steamrolling DLs all season long. Something is very wrong with whatever Kehoe is doing. These guys have weak explosion off the ball. On the DL, I think injuries and suspensions really exacerbated that situation. With Forston, Porter, L. Robinson and Ojomo in all year, the depth would have been much better, and I think our overall play would have been much better. We still dont have any superstars on that DL, but it would have been a MUCH different story without the disaster we got hit with.

I dont think people really realize the horrific luck we had this year. Between suspensions to key players (Ojomo, Vernon, Ray Ray), and injuries to other key guys... (Seantrel, Buchanan, Forston, Porter, L.Rob) we really lost a lot of key depth and talent at areas we could ill afford to do so.

C4L,

Imvho we were a 9-3 team this yr. Suspensions and injuries put us behind the eightball from the get go. Not a good way to build mojo along with the fact we're working in a new OC and DC and their respective systems. I'm confident that next yr will see improvement. If it's vast improvement we could challenge for the Coastal and a BCS bowl because I think everyone else sucks and the ACC is hot trash

Advertisement
Wait, wat?

Cook? Glenn cook?

HT, you must have Cook confused with someone else.

The same Glenn Cook who openly believed that working out was not necessary?

Advertisement
We gotta be better upfront on both sides of the ball. Our OL and DL need to be more physical.

Wait, wat?

Cook? Glenn cook?

HT, you must have Cook confused with someone else.

The same Glenn Cook who openly believed that working out was not necessary?
The same Glenn cook who is a graduate assistant on this team?

Advertisement
Back