number one need for improvement? IMO

I still maintain the biggest need for improvement is in the strenth of the O-line and the D-line. Yes, cane4life, injuries impacted the D-line this year and with S.H. the O-line a little too, but the need remains. Perhaps stonger also means less prone to injuries?
I enjoyed the puppies line, dutchielflair, except it is as true as funny.
Do we need steroids or more of a committment to getting stronger the old fashion way? The O-line all should go out and push a truck up a hill all day. The D-line should stop it on the way down.

Advertisement
Imvho we're 9-3 without the suspensions. What then? You can't argue that he was dealing with a full deck. With that said yes DB, LB and DT/OL are my biggest concern. We're just not violent enough in those areas. You'll be able to tell from the pad noise/pad level whether we're improving in those areas. When you listen to Alabam, LSU, **** even Arkansas OL come off the ball it's a violent noise. Ours sounds friendly like a basket of puppies

IMVHO, MD is the only game we lost because of suspensions.

CaneFootballDad - is your handle legit? Are you an actual father of a current Cane football player? Either way, welcome to the board - hope you enjoy it!

Since so many others have been mentioned, can I get a couple Safeties with some range and about 3 DBs who are comfortable (or at least capable) in zone coverage?

BC had a TD last week where it was one of the worst zone busted coverages I've seen in a long time.

Advertisement
CaneFootballDad - is your handle legit? Are you an actual father of a current Cane football player? Either way, welcome to the board - hope you enjoy it!

Ghost2, thank you for the warm welcome. Sorry for the confustion, but I am not a father to a hurricane football player, simply a Dad who enjoys hurricanes football.

While strength is an issue, I am not convinced it is the panacea that many of you believe is needed. When we dominated college football - and I mean dominated - we were never the biggest or strongest team. We had undersized defensive and offensive lines, and very small linebackers. However, we had speed and more importantly, very smart football players who had the desire to be the best, no matter the cost.

I am not suggesting we had Rhodes Scholars, but we had underprivileged players with very high football IQ who played the game hard - every down, every quarter, every game. They refused to lose. They played, not just for the University, but for everything the UM brand stood for - good and bad. The program and everything it represented was bigger than any one individual.

That mentality and commitment to excellence is what is needed most, not muscle.

Just my $.02...

While strength is an issue, I am not convinced it is the panacea that many of you believe is needed. When we dominated college football - and I mean dominated - we were never the biggest or strongest team. We had undersized defensive and offensive lines, and very small linebackers. However, we had speed and more importantly, very smart football players who had the desire to be the best, no matter the cost.

I am not suggesting we had Rhodes Scholars, but we had underprivileged players with very high football IQ who played the game hard - every down, every quarter, every game. They refused to lose. They played, not just for the University, but for everything the UM brand stood for - good and bad. The program and everything it represented was bigger than any one individual.

That mentality and commitment to excellence is what is needed most, not muscle.

Just my $.02...

nice first post

We do seem like a much smaller team than in the past, especially at LB. I mean Cook and Leon might not have been that good while they were here but they certainly looked like Miami backers.
Wait, wat?

Cook? Glenn cook?

Dude didn't look like a LB at all. Gtfooh.

HT, you must have Cook confused with someone else.

Sorry don't check this board as much as the WEZ, but for some reason I remembered him being pretty big... like you said I must be thinking of someone else.

Advertisement
We do seem like a much smaller team than in the past, especially at LB. I mean Cook and Leon might not have been that good while they were here but they certainly looked like Miami backers.
Wait, wat?

Cook? Glenn cook?

Dude didn't look like a LB at all. Gtfooh.

HT, you must have Cook confused with someone else.

Sorry don't check this board as much as the WEZ, but for some reason I remembered him being pretty big... like you said I must be thinking of someone else.

Romeo Davis?

Our Defensive back situation TRULY concerns me.. Yes, we had no push from the Dline.. but are defensive back were absolutely horrible.. we need those defensive tackles to push but we also need some corners that are gonna force the qb to go thru his reads.. we kept making these POS qbs look like heisman candidates.. it was bad, there was no rush because they were getting the ball off with ease, guys were wide open.. bottom, we need it all..

Our Defensive back situation TRULY concerns me.. Yes, we had no push from the Dline.. but are defensive back were absolutely horrible.. we need those defensive tackles to push but we also need some corners that are gonna force the qb to go thru his reads.. we kept making these POS qbs look like heisman candidates.. it was bad, there was no rush because they were getting the ball off with ease, guys were wide open.. bottom, we need it all..

This better be the year Brandon Mcgee finally steps up and makes some strides. If he isnt our #1 corner next year we are in deep trouble. He doesnt look like he has gained a pound since hes got here, and his 4.28 40 has done nothing but get his *** burnt and ran over. He HAS to be our guy.

Just went back and looked at rosters, I was probably thinking of t good. Davis wasn't that big was he? I remember him bein tall but not huge or anything.

Advertisement
Strength and consistency. We are such a brutally weak team...it's hard to watch. We don't hit anyone and make them pay.

Our safeties are absolutely brutal. We have a 5 star and 4 star back there and they are both worse than Willie Cooper.

I believe Davis was around the 6'3 225 or 230 range. I remember Romeo Davis pulling someone down by their hand warmer. Or mabye im thinking of Lovon Ponder. Its amazing how many sucky players we have had over this last 5-6 year stretch.

Since so many others have been mentioned, can I get a couple Safeties with some range and about 3 DBs who are comfortable (or at least capable) in zone coverage?

BC had a TD last week where it was one of the worst zone busted coverages I've seen in a long time.

Lu, I mentioned DB's and cover corner in particular. There were fleeting moments when the DL played well. There were actual stretches when the OL was close to hitting their stride. But never at any time did we get any play from the back 4. Some good cover corners will make the QB hold the ball for an extra second and that equates to sacks, hurried passes and possibly int's.

We could have the best DL in CFB,but if we had our 4 DB's back there, then teams would still pick us apart.

Advertisement
I believe Davis was around the 6'3 225 or 230 range. I remember Romeo Davis pulling someone down by their hand warmer. Or mabye im thinking of Lovon Ponder. Its amazing how many sucky players we have had over this last 5-6 year stretch.

That should be pretty apparent considering we are discussing what players look like haha

big "no homo" looking back...

This better be the year Brandon Mcgee finally steps up and makes some strides. If he isnt our #1 corner next year we are in deep trouble. He doesnt look like he has gained a pound since hes got here, and his 4.28 40 has done nothing but get his *** burnt and ran over. He HAS to be our guy.

Unfortunately, he just doesn't have a very big frame. Naturally, a very skinny kid.

Advertisement
Back