number 4 corner

I think we can all agree that jaquan Johnson had enormous hype coming out of high school. It's time for him to make an impact. Some were claiming he'd be our next great db. I wanna see him step in a corner spot if it means he's on the field and show what he's got because he hasn't lived up to the hype quite yet

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

He's been here 1 year. **** some people are clueless.

If you can name a defensive player the last 5 years that "lived up to the hype" in that scheme please enlighten us all.
Woah easy Nancy.

I thought he was a junior. When you follow recruiting the years start to blend together especially since this board has been talking about him for 4 years.

Either way I didn't say he was terrible but people were comparing him to all time greats, if he can't get snaps this year then I'd say he hasn't lived up to the hype SO FAR. .

And I agree with your overall statement but Denzel Perryman would be an easy answer

People were saying hes ed reed and sbyt......i dont think he can be ed reed he has no wheels on him. Still glad he chose us and i think he wi be a better tha average player. I didnt agree with all the hype he got because if ole nick aint chasing a db theres a reason. In this defense guys have to be able to run point blank period.....now u notice all the 17 targets can run

Advertisement
I think we can all agree that jaquan Johnson had enormous hype coming out of high school. It's time for him to make an impact. Some were claiming he'd be our next great db. I wanna see him step in a corner spot if it means he's on the field and show what he's got because he hasn't lived up to the hype quite yet

If you can name a defensive player the last 5 years that "lived up to the hype" in that scheme please enlighten us all.
DP?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What I want to see are corners and safeties who are physical, who play the run and who can tackle wideouts in the open field. I think the best player we have in our secondary right now is Jamal Carter. He's the only one returning from 2015 who showed any kind of toughness

Elder and especially Jenkins are wallflowers, and that ain't gonna work. I think Elder is a naturally good football player, and with good coaching he could take a step. Jenkins, I just don't think has the instincts to play safety IMO. Can't have a safety who avoids contact.

I think Johnson could be good, I haven't looked at film of him from last year, but give me an undersized guy with instincts and football toughness who isn't scared to mix it up over a tall fast wallflower all day. Dude was a high school hero and everyone says a leader. I'll be watching him this year...in my mind I think he could be a great one

Did you watch the games? Jamal Carter constantly missed tackles or took bad angles to try and make plays. He has not shown much in his time here. I don't understand the hate on Cornelius being that he stood out not only at Corner but as a ridiculous return man last year (had multiple TD's called back off "penalties". From what I've seen Corn is a stud. As far as instincts Jenkins is a ballhawk back there as he covers a lot of ground when healthy, but he is injury prone and my only knock on him would be his tackling ability. I just don't consider Carter all that great with the scheme he was dealt in past years, but hopefully with the new scheme everything will be head and shoulders better than what we've been tortured with the past too many years.

Colbert coming is huge. Mayes sounds like he's stepping up. DL will make a huge difference, and cover for some of the flaws.

Advertisement

Woah easy Nancy.

I thought he was a junior. When you follow recruiting the years start to blend together especially since this board has been talking about him for 4 years.

Either way I didn't say he was terrible but people were comparing him to all time greats, if he can't get snaps this year then I'd say he hasn't lived up to the hype SO FAR. .

And I agree with your overall statement but Denzel Perryman would be an easy answer

He was getting snaps as a true freshman. Im sure he will get plenty more this year.....

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

What I want to see are corners and safeties who are physical, who play the run and who can tackle wideouts in the open field. I think the best player we have in our secondary right now is Jamal Carter. He's the only one returning from 2015 who showed any kind of toughness

Elder and especially Jenkins are wallflowers, and that ain't gonna work. I think Elder is a naturally good football player, and with good coaching he could take a step. Jenkins, I just don't think has the instincts to play safety IMO. Can't have a safety who avoids contact.

I think Johnson could be good, I haven't looked at film of him from last year, but give me an undersized guy with instincts and football toughness who isn't scared to mix it up over a tall fast wallflower all day. Dude was a high school hero and everyone says a leader. I'll be watching him this year...in my mind I think he could be a great one

Did you watch the games? Jamal Carter constantly missed tackles or took bad angles to try and make plays. He has not shown much in his time here. I don't understand the hate on Cornelius being that he stood out not only at Corner but as a ridiculous return man last year (had multiple TD's called back off "penalties". From what I've seen Corn is a stud. As far as instincts Jenkins is a ballhawk back there as he covers a lot of ground when healthy, but he is injury prone and my only knock on him would be his tackling ability. I just don't consider Carter all that great with the scheme he was dealt in past years, but hopefully with the new scheme everything will be head and shoulders better than what we've been tortured with the past too many years.

Here's how each did last year against Georgia Tech, you can watch and draw your own conclusions. I think Carter showed the most, followed by Elder, and I was not impressed with Jenkins.

I agree with you that Elder is a good all around football player and athlete, so I think with some good coaching he can learn to be aggressive on defense. I really think that kid can be taught. Jenkins IDK.
[video=youtube_share;JosfufjlHbw]https://youtu.be/JosfufjlHbw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;40KiRZ4XOqk]https://youtu.be/40KiRZ4XOqk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;rgcbp_NVZt8]https://youtu.be/rgcbp_NVZt8[/video]

CB1- Colbert
CB2- Redwine
NCB- Elder
CB4- Mayes/Young

I would like to see Jaquan get some rotational play at Nickel. I think we could use him like Tyrann Mathieu, and have him play both CB/S utilizing his ballhawking ability in coverage.

Bro, I have a feeling that Elder will start. Maybe Colbert takes Redwines spot, but I have a feeling Elder has earned his spot. At least he did last year when he started most of the season...
I'm not saying that Elder won't start, I'm saying I think he's best as the Nickel, and depending on how often we'll be facing 3 WR sets, him being the Nickel is still starting, he'll just be covering the inside speedy slot WR's.

Advertisement
i keep hearing people talk down on Michael Jackson...yalld ont realize that he was on specials last year and made the away games while guys like Mayes and Henley sat..or redshirted?...

Matter of fact Jackson even got some spot duty time....im not down on him as others. Mayes i have never been a fan of...kinda have to see it to believe it on him..but this scheme may better fit his abiities..you never know.

Woah easy Nancy.

When you really follow recruiting
You know what class these kids are in
And when they graduate so these assumptions are not true

Advertisement
i keep hearing people talk down on Michael Jackson...yalld ont realize that he was on specials last year and made the away games while guys like Mayes and Henley sat..or redshirted?...

Matter of fact Jackson even got some spot duty time....im not down on him as others. Mayes i have never been a fan of...kinda have to see it to believe it on him..but this scheme may better fit his abiities..you never know.
I don't think people are sleeping on Mike Jack, it's just that we haven't heard much about him in camp thus far, it's pretty much been Colbert, Red & Mayes that have had all positive reports about their performances.

Whenever Coach Diaz or Coach Richt have been asked about the Corners and which ones have separated themselves, they've only spoke highly of the 3 I just mentioned & have not specifically said anything about Henley or Mike Jack.

we have 3 solid corners is ryan mayes good enough at the 4 spot or would you like to see maleek young there cedrick wright or jaquan johnson instead

To me the most significant thing is the development of Ryan Mayes. The fact that he has begun to blossom according to his coaches and the that he has been consistently making plays in fall camp gives us that much more depth at a position that desperately needed it.

In terms of who is the number 4 CB, I don't think it matters who. The important thing is to have 4 that can play at this level. Mayes improvement also takes the pressure off Malek Young having to come in and be a player from the get. As far as I can see, Mayes is not a nickel type CB so what Jaquan Johnson does or doesn't do at nickel has little to do with Mayes.

I know what you meant. And we all on this board expect instant results. Not sure why you got negged so much. Seemed like a legit question. I think it's going to come down to how the other safeties are performing. If they are performing well they will prob slide JJ down to help at corner. If they need him more at safety someone else will have to step up.

Advertisement
We are finally getting to the point where young guys are not going to have to come in an be a third-year Sean Taylor. they will get to red-shirt or play on special teams and grow into be stubs like the greats of the past did! It's no wonder Mayes took 3 years and the Jackson/Henley's are not there yet. Let's see what happens next year for those players. Redwine probably could have used a little more time as well.

Here's how each did last year against Georgia Tech, you can watch and draw your own conclusions. I think Carter showed the most, followed by Elder, and I was not impressed with Jenkins.

I agree with you that Elder is a good all around football player and athlete, so I think with some good coaching he can learn to be aggressive on defense. I really think that kid can be taught. Jenkins IDK.
[video=youtube_share;JosfufjlHbw]https://youtu.be/JosfufjlHbw[/video]

[video=youtube_share;40KiRZ4XOqk]https://youtu.be/40KiRZ4XOqk[/video]

[video=youtube_share;rgcbp_NVZt8]https://youtu.be/rgcbp_NVZt8[/video]

LMAO secondary highlights against GT.. if only we played NAVY this year....

Those were some terrible highlights for Jamal Carter in that GT game. He tackled Juwon Young on a play for crying out loud. The INT was a gimme. He would have been gashed on one pass play for a long TD if the quarterback would have had decent protection on their part. I don't see where you're going with your high praise but I sure hope you're right and he performs this year.

remember no one looked good under al folden!

Advertisement
Back