Number 16 Total Defense???????

daddacane

Senior
During the Cincy game Brock Huard stated how well our defense has been all year and was rated number 16 in total defense nationally...Additionally Huard lauded our defense backs as playing some of the best defensive ball in the nation...Now today I fall out of my chair with the Bleacher Report standings---- ranking us 16th in total defense and our defensive secondary the 6th best nationally...Someone needs to make sure they don't have us mixed up with Mich State, Miss State or who knows who...At this rate we never get rid of Dono and I'm sure Big Al gets him a raise because the process is working....I just don't get it.....

Advertisement
FBS schedules are so different, it makes me wonder why people put any stock in them at all, no matter where we are ranked. Take Baylor for example. They have played one team with a pulse, and they gave up 58 points. Yet they sit at #10 in total defense. Michigan State sits at #12.

During the Cincy game Brock Huard stated how well our defense has been all year and was rated number 16 in total defense nationally...Additionally Huard lauded our defense backs as playing some of the best defensive ball in the nation...Now today I fall out of my chair with the Bleacher Report standings---- ranking us 16th in total defense and our defensive secondary the 6th best nationally...Someone needs to make sure they don't have us mixed up with Mich State, Miss State or who knows who...At this rate we never get rid of Dono and I'm sure Big Al gets him a raise because the process is working....I just don't get it.....

Did Brock do the game? Was it even on TV?

Advertisement
The stat doesn't tell the story. I'm going out on a limb here and stating that I doubt if that total D ranking will hold until the end of the year.

Yes, and a scoring D in the 60's.....check out the by the numbers thread. The D is mediocre to below average.

Advertisement
IDGAF what our current ranking is.

Our defensive play against one-dimensional Nebraska and GT was pathetic.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=miss me with the bull****

New example

Person 1: I heard miami has the #16 defense.

Person 2: miss me with the bull**** those numbers are more crooked than Enron financial statements.

**** censor got my link

Person 2: miss me with the bull**** those numbers are more crooked than Enron financial statements.

There's nothing "bull****" or crooked about the numbers. We've just been able to keep the yards down against a few awful teams. Like I tried to explain already, schedules are way too different to put any stock in nationwide stat rankings.

Advertisement
Miami has played more plays that anyone ranked in the top 50 defenses. interesting stat imo. We have played 550 plays on D. Other top 25 defenses have played about 350 plays

Updated defensive stats after the Cincinnati game. For context...

Recruiting rankings the last four years, courtesy of 247: 33rd in 2011, 10th in 2012, 14th in 2013, 12th in 2014
Schedule: @ Louisville, vs. FAMU, vs. Arkansas State, @ Nebraska, vs. Duke, @ Georgia Tech, vs. Cincinnati

We dropped from 16th to 24th in total defense against a hapless Cincinnati team starting a quarterback who was limited in practice all week with injured ribs.

Scoring defense: 60th
Rushing defense: 62nd
Third down conversion percentage (defense): 69th
Red zone defense: T-66th
Tackles for loss: T-105th
Sacks per game: T-50th with 10 other teams

Penalties per game: 107th
Penalty yards per game: 114th

As putrid as these numbers are at this point in the season, it's only going to get worse after these next few games. Golden, D'Onofrio, Jethro Franklin, Paul Williams, etc. all must be shown the door. Golden blew his opportunity to pull the "fire the coordinator" card when he kept this defense and D'Onofrio here for four years, despite overwhelming evidence of utter incompetence. This is Golden's defense and he's going down with the ship.

Last edited:
Miami has played more plays that anyone ranked in the top 50 defenses. interesting stat imo. We have played 550 plays on D. Other top 25 defenses have played about 350 plays

3rd from the bottom in converting 3rd downs

Tied for 3rd from the bottom in turnovers

78th in 3rd downs allowed

Offense can't stay ON the field. Defense can't get off it. Offense gives the opposition more possessions.

That's why your defense winds up playing far more plays than it should.

Advertisement
National total defense rankings don't mean too much at this point in the season. We dropped from 16th to 24th in one week. FIU is 23rd, and Temple is 22nd. Let that sink in.

112th in time of possession which really doesnt help out our so called defense either. although i guess thats their fault too since they can't get off the field

National total defense rankings don't mean too much at this point in the season. We dropped from 16th to 24th in one week. FIU is 23rd, and Temple is 22nd. Let that sink in.

I imagine our defense's ranking will continue to drop with each week. We were top 10 after the first two games, right?

Then a couple weeks later we were 16.

Now we're at 24. By the end of the season we may not even be top 50.

Advertisement
Back