Nuggets: Coaches testing Homer at CB and more

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
**With the end of the season approaching and the Canes becoming thin at certain spots such as cornerback and offensive line, coaches have been experimenting with a couple of players such as Travis Homer at cornerback. Homer, who has been a special teams ace for the Canes this season, turned heads at running back in fall camp and possesses game-breaking speed. This is not a permanent switch and Homer is still with the running backs primarily, but coaches are keeping their options open for the future. He will most likely stay put at running back because he brings a different skill set than the other Canes backs.

**Another possibility that is being evaluated is Courtel Jenkins moving from defensive tackle to interior offensive lineman. This isn't a move that he is particularly open to making, but it has been tossed around nonetheless.

**Earlier in the season, sources told CanesInSight that Gus Edwards (redshirt junior) was considering a post-grad transfer to Syracuse -- an opportunity for him to get more touches and play close to home. However, with Edwards' increased role in the offense over the past few weeks, Gus looks like he will stick around for another year.

**Evidence Njoku has indicated that his commitment to the Hurricanes is solid, but one program that his trying to make a strong push for him is Tennessee. Former Canes tight ends coach/interim head coach Larry Scott is leading Njoku's recruitment to the Volunteers and head coach Butch Jones is making him a top priority as well, according to a source. Remember, Scott recruited and coached Evidence's brother, David, when he was at Miami. There is also talk that David could bolt for the NFL after this season, which might also affect things. Evidence was on the CanesInSight podcast last week and sounded solid with the Hurricanes coming off of a visit, but this is just something to track.

Advertisement
**Evidence Njoku has indicated that his commitment to the Hurricanes is solid, but one program that his trying to make a strong push for him is Tennessee. Former Canes tight ends coach/interim head coach Larry Scott is leading Njoku's recruitment to the Volunteers and head coach Butch Jones is making him a top priority as well, according to a source. Remember, Scott recruited and coached Evidence's brother, David, when he was at Miami. There is also talk that David could bolt for the NFL after this season, which might also affect things. Evidence was on the CanesInSight podcast last week and sounded solid with the Hurricanes coming off of a visit, but this is just something to track.

There goes UT again, their like the annoying girl in school that bugs the **** outta you but secretely likes you. UT wish they were us

Butch Davis and Larry scott need to worry about half their team quitting after the season, not trying to pull njoku

Gonna limp into NSD once again at positions of need. Need 4 WR at minimum, probably dropping Dingle, who knows with Njoku, that's 0 locks at the position. 0 boundary corners, 1 OL that can play right away and who knows if he's even solid.

I hope the staff has a better vibe about all of this that it appears on the outside. It's usually pretty easy to gauge where you will end up at this point in the process

Advertisement
Gonna limp into NSD once again at positions of need. Need 4 WR at minimum, probably dropping Dingle, who knows with Njoku, that's 0 locks at the position. 0 boundary corners, 1 OL that can play right away and who knows if he's even solid.

I hope the staff has a better vibe about all of this that it appears on the outside. It's usually pretty easy to gauge where you will end up at this point in the process

better not drop Dingle

larry scott is a bitter sissy. he and his goofy recruiting assistant he took can go take a hike.

better not drop Dingle

Could be a grades thing. Interview a while back had mentioned that he needed to pick up his test scores and GPA. Granted that was probably a year ago it's probably more than just us dropping him with the WR situation we're in

Homer at CB is a fun move in the short term.

I'll say it again: any kid that wants to go to Tennessee and that dumpster fire deserves them.

Advertisement
homer has the body of a DB, if burns and mcfarland make it to campus and look good it wouldn't be out of this world for them to move homer there if our secondary really becomes an issue (which it could)

Both Homer and Walton play Special Teams - and I've seen Homers athleticism pop out multiple times, but I've never noticed Walton.

I hope Homer gets a crack at RB because I think we need an upgrade there, but I'm glad to see the coaches are acknowledging that they need to get Homer on the field somehow.

If Dugans loses Evidence to Tennessee, he's ****** fish bait...

There's no way you can rationalize it, or try to make excuses for it... We literally have his brother on the team & regardless of if he leaves for the NFL, if we can't keep ****** Larry Scott from snatching up our croots then this sh*t is only going to get worse.

I'm going to be patient & give them til NSD to see how this class plays out, but man they have real problem holding onto even the lower rated prospects in our class... Smh.

The ****** SEC East is whoppin our *** out there on the recruiting trail, this staff better tighten the f*ck up & put a stop to this sh*t.

Homer has everything you would want in a DB. Size, supreme athlete, speed, loves to hit, and has that nasty streak in him that only certain DBs have. Don't blame Rumph for trying to sneak him away from time to time.

Advertisement
Njoku would be making a huge mistake leaving early. He's a late round guy right now, but with another year, he could work his way into the 2nd or 3rd round.

I think moving Homer to CB is a mistake too. He's the most physically gifted RB on the roster, and is more physically gifted than the RB's we are recruiting too. If his instincts match his physical abilities and toughness, he could be special.

If Dugans loses Evidence to Tennessee, he's ****in fish bait...

There's no way you can rationalize it, or try to make excuses for it... We literally have his brother on the team & regardless of if he leaves for the NFL, if we can't keep ****in Larry Scott from snatching up our croots then this sh*t is only going to get worse.

I'm going to be patient & give them til NSD to see how this class plays out, but man they have real problem holding onto even the lower rated prospects in our class... Smh.

The ****in SEC East is whoppin our *** out there on the recruiting trail, this staff better tighten the f*ck up & put a stop to this sh*t.

yup, it's iffy with Donaldson and Dj, now we gotta worry about losing a kid that some questioned why we even offered in the first place

Advertisement
Njoku would be making a huge mistake leaving early. He's a late round guy right now, but with another year, he could work his way into the 2nd or 3rd round.

I think moving Homer to CB is a mistake too. He's the most physically gifted RB on the roster, and is more physically gifted than the RB's we are recruiting too. If his instincts match his physical abilities and toughness, he could be special.

Can Homer be our Jabrill Peppers? If he's that athletic i'd love to see him play multiple positions, gotta keep your best players on the field

Teams are starving for athletic TE's. Njoku has the athleticism to put up monster combine numbers which will vault him up the draft board. Yes he could use another year, but i think the market dictates he leaves.

If Dugans can't even stop sorry *** dumpster fire UT from stealing another 3 star guy from him, then get him the fck outta my face. He can drive that donk into a car crusher.

Get me some dogs on this staff who can sell dyck to a bulldyke.

Advertisement
Back